Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Radar RS-1 Bindings

tvano

sixball's post re: "Season ends for one of our crew" got me thinking...i hate it when that happens.

been on the rs-1 for two seasons now (note: sixball's injured crew member was in HO Venom).

i do NOT pull the elastic laces tight. barely snug.

i have yet to have both bindings release (think liner slides out) during a train wreck.

if i'm headed out the front i typically get a release on the rear boot, not the front.

i don't recall the front ever releasing while the rear liner has 'escaped' the hard-shell on about 4 occasions.

comfort and edge couldn't be better. lots of control. thrilled not to have to replace bindings on a yearly basis (i ski a lot).

what is your experience w the radar rs-1?

both front and rear release for you?

one of our crew is considering rs-1 and i am having a hard time giving a strong recommendation, just from a safety standpoint.

Did you ever feel like the non releasing foot leg was stretched or twisted? I use Wiley's and have had only one foot release more the once but never felt like the other leg or foot had any pull or twist.

My bud cranked his bindings down. I had to put something under his foot to push it out even after we released the crossover straps.

Don't think we will ever be completely safe.

P.S. I almost put RS-1's on my ski.

This my third year on the RS-1's. I have super-feet inside the liners and run with the fronts snug and the top tight. I can pull the liners out of the boot with very little effort, so I would believe that you would release during a nasty fall. I haven't had a fall that would warrant coming out, so it's all guess work. I've never had another binding feel so safe and secure in. I run on average 50 sets, 6 passes a year and never had a problem, other needing to replace the laces before next year. Liners and shells are still in good shape.

Edited by onamission

I've been on RS1's for two seasons now. Only a few wilder falls & haven't released either foot yet. I don't cinch them down more than just snug & really like them for the reasons stated above.

I have RS-1's on both of my skis and have never felt safer or more confident that I've taken every possible measure not to incur a foot, ankle, or knee injury.

Highly recommend them.

sixball's post re: "Season ends for one of our crew" got me thinking...i hate it when that happens.

been on the rs-1 for two seasons now (note: sixball's injured crew member was in HO Venom).

i do NOT pull the elastic laces tight. barely snug.

i have yet to have both bindings release (think liner slides out) during a train wreck.

if i'm headed out the front i typically get a release on the rear boot, not the front.

i don't recall the front ever releasing while the rear liner has 'escaped' the hard-shell on about 4 occasions.

comfort and edge couldn't be better. lots of control. thrilled not to have to replace bindings on a yearly basis (i ski a lot).

what is your experience w the radar rs-1?

both front and rear release for you?

one of our crew is considering rs-1 and i am having a hard time giving a strong recommendation, just from a safety standpoint.

Not familiar with the RS-1's. I have HO Venom's on my ski and have liked them. Do you guys think the RS-1's would be harder for your feet to release from than the Venom's? I've had my rear foot release, but not the front so far.

TVano... I can't offer my opinion from full experience, since I use a Strada (newer version of RS1) with a rear toe plate, but the "release" question has been discussed in depth on many of the slalom sites. Injuries can occur on any binding. The sport has some inherent dangers, and while no binding system is foolproof, the RS1/Strada boots seem to get high marks for proper release. While the lower bungee can be snugged fairly tight, the KEY is not to crank down on the top bungee. If you are transitioning off of rubber bindings, it can take a little getting used to...as there is a tendency to want to tighten them more then is recommended. On dry land you should be able to step/pull out of them.

Martin...your HO Venoms are considered to be a rubber boot. I believe that they are very similar to the popular HO Animals (just a bit softer). Having used an Animal (prior to the Strada), IMHO the release on the Strada is better.

thanks for the feedback.

i do think that the rs-1 is a hot set-up. i really like them.

i don't cinch down the laces at all; i run them quite loose with very light lace tension.

rs-1 are comfortable, offer great control and they are holding up pretty good (given the number of sets i have on them).

i was just having a tough time with a whole hearted recommendation because i've never had both release (having had my full share of train wrecks).

i would say that i have never had a ankle or leg injury in the rs-1 (but i'm not going to put that out there and tempt the fates).Whistling.gif

edited an incomplete sentence.

Edited by tvano

I've had my RS-1s since they first came out and couldn't be happier. I've gone from venom's (too soft) , Approaches (couldn't get used to the forced ankle bend and just bad fit for my foot). Rs1's for me seem to do it all. Performance, good fit, and were warm last week when the water was below 50. :biggrin:

With regards to the yardsale crashes, keep in mind that the release is ONLY going to be for an OTF or releasing towards the front. That type of crash thankfully I don't see too often. Those hurt!

All that being said, I witnessed a compound fracture after a ski partners RS1 did not release. It was a forward twisting fall as he was coming around the ball, 36 mph 22 off. I believe his binders were snugged down when I took them off him. The rear boot was ripped off the plate. IMHO, I don't think too many other binders would have fared any better in that type of a crash.

Good grief Rob, that sounds horrible! Compound fracture with a boot that ripped off the plate?!?! That's a first. I just can't imagine how the shell could come off the plate without the liner sliding out. Any chance we could see pictures of the equipment aftermath?

I have the RS-1's. I had a handful of really ugly crashes this season and both feet ejected every time. I don't pull my bungees tight - I just slide the clip down to the liner tongue. It is interesting though because there have been a couple situations where on smaller crashes or just getting pulled way out of position that I've had small ankle strain/sprains. I wouldn't switch the boots given a chance to go back in time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the boots.

Good grief Rob, that sounds horrible! Compound fracture with a boot that ripped off the plate?!?! That's a first. I just can't imagine how the shell could come off the plate without the liner sliding out. Any chance we could see pictures of the equipment aftermath?

No pics. Needless to say he was in a bit.of.discomfort and went to the hospital. The plastic sole ripped right through the attach screws going to the plate.

I figure I have at least another season left on my liners. after that I'm going to do a little more research on the Reflex binder.

No pics. Needless to say he was in a bit.of.discomfort and went to the hospital. The plastic sole ripped right through the attach screws going to the plate.

I figure I have at least another season left on my liners. after that I'm going to do a little more research on the Reflex binder.

Wow! I am led to believe they had the laces way way overly tight. If there was enough to rip it off the plate, then there is no way they would have released from those boots.

I have been on RS1s since they were put on the market and they have always released the way I expect them to. I know no binding is perfect, but this design to me is as close to it as I have seen

Wow! I am led to believe they had the laces way way overly tight. If there was enough to rip it off the plate, then there is no way they would have released from those boots.

I have been on RS1s since they were put on the market and they have always released the way I expect them to. I know no binding is perfect, but this design to me is as close to it as I have seen

His laces were cinched down. Throw in a twisting fall.....

I've always kept mine somewhat relaxed just unhook the top and dont mess the toggle allows for getting close to the same retention every set. (I think I stole that tid bit from you!) lol