Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question regarding removing thermostat

wakeboarder3780

This is for an 06 23LSV 340 Monsoon

So I've never removed the thermostat before, but I saw another post on here that included a pdf of the breakdown. I'm pretty sure I know where mine will be on my motor, but I'm curious about the removal process. I noticed from the other post sometimes it can be tough to get the sleeve out, but after that the thermostat comes right out.

My question is this, is the normal procedure to remove cap, remove sleeve, remove thermostat, then replace sleeve and cap?

Then you run the antifreeze through.

Then you reassemble the thermostat?

Also is the gasket a re-usable gasket (rubber) or is it one you need to replace every time (paper/plastic-type)?

TIA, will be seriously winterizing the block tonight (only drained until now). Sad day :(

I think you've got the process right. I'm the one that posted the question earlier. Not sure about your engine, but some allow the thermostat to come out from the top, I believe with no sleeve.

I ended up just pouring 2 gallons of AF down into the block after removing the housing. In getting the plastic sleeve out, was going to destroy it. I didn't have a replacement sleeve, so I'm leaving it till first thing next season.

Anyway, after pouing AF into the block, I put housing back on, started engine and sucked another 2 gallons from bucket, thru raw water pick-up.

Oops, forgot to say, this is after draining water at all the water drain points. One other thing I had an issue with...oil filter. Couldn't get it off without destroying it, so drained oil, filled with new, and going to replace filter at de-winterizing.

Took forever for oil to drain.

Steve B.

I think you've got the process right. I'm the one that posted the question earlier.

1) Did your tstat have a gasket or not? If so was it re-usable or not?

2) Clarification: You did "re-install" the tstat before putting away for winter, correct?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

I actually couldn't get my thermostat housing apart. Here is the housing I removed so I could snap some pics. I can see the t-stat sitting inside (i think that's what it is, right?) But I cant get the housing to budge in the middle gasket. How do people separate these so they can get the t-stat out? I'm hesitant to get too rough with it because it's cast. Help?

(can see the t-stat)

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/tstatbottom.jpg/

(can see the gasket line that is separating me from glory)

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/tstatside.jpg/

I actually couldn't get my thermostat housing apart. Here is the housing I removed so I could snap some pics. I can see the t-stat sitting inside (i think that's what it is, right?) But I cant get the housing to budge in the middle gasket. How do people separate these so they can get the t-stat out? I'm hesitant to get too rough with it because it's cast. Help?

(can see the t-stat)

http://img155.images...statbottom.jpg/

http://img156.images.../tstatside.jpg/

been a while since i pulled mine apart.

i think there may be a bolt securing the two pieces?

Glory so close, yet so far :)

I'm not sure wakeboarder, it looks like the two pieces should come apart, and the thermostat sandwiched in there. Also, I'm wondering if they are held together by a couple of studs, so it has to come apart very straight?

My gasket was re-useable, and looks very much like yours. And yes, I did just place the whole thermostat housing back on after I filled the block "manually" I guess you would call it. Essentially, by doing this, you bypass the thermostat, and dont have to wait for the engine to warm up to open the thermostat, to let AF go into the block.

Wish I was more help on your type of engine.

Steve B.

Yep 3 bolts. My problem was even with them all removed the gasket was stuck in place and I couldn't separate the two pieces. The answer was as simple as a block of wood, a hammer, a square bit chisel, and a light hand. Below are a couple pics I snapped to help anyone else in the same pinch. The first pic I actually taped the parts back together because I already split them then decided to document some of this in case others needed it.

Setting up with a block of wood under the shorter section standing the housing upright so you can strike on the rounded edge between the 2 throughbolts:

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/tablesetup.jpg/

Chisel placement (on rounded section in the middle of the 2 through bolts - I highly recommend striking here as it's the strongest section):

http://img219.imageshack.us/i/chiselplacement.jpg/

Successful split with thermostat inside:

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/successfulsplit.jpg/

Thermostat removed:

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/thermostatremoved.jpg/

I prefer to use a bigger hammer but just swing lightly. I prefer to hold back on a heavier too rather than swing really hard with a lighter tool. In any event just be gentle at first and only use more force as needed. If you have a really stubborn housing after trying a couple harder swings move the chisel along the edge forward and backward 1-2 chisel widths, but staying generally in the middle. Hopefully these pics and writeups help someone else out. This was for a 2006 23 LSV!

I'm not sure about that one, but agree with the others. Looks like two cast pieces holding the T-stat in between. Can you sit it on it's side and tap a flat head screwdriver on the seam? Might be enough to persuade them to start to separate. If there are alignment studs it might be a bit more difficult to get apart.

I think it would be easiest if you were to the whole thermostat unit back on the bock and dismantle it in pieces. For starters take a razor blade and score the paint where it spilts which is right in the middle. In the past I have just taken an large flat head screw driver and with a hammer lightly tapped on the seam moving from side to side.

If you are gentle you are not to hurt it. You will want to remove all gasket material which can be a pain. To do this, scrape all you can with a razor blade and then put small wire wheel in your drill and gently remove the rest. Take a paper towel and put in the whole so that you don't get gasket debris in the cooling system,

martinarcher and Murphy8166 had the right idea. Take a peek at the pics above to see me using a chisel to get them apart. Thanks everyone for all the help! You all helped clarify things for me so that I could get the tstat out without breaking anything.

I couldn't get it winterized last night, but I've gotta get it done tonight so it looks like I'll be doing the rest in the rain. Fun, fun eh? I guess that's what you get for waiting until the last second :)

Edited by wakeboarder3780

(can see the t-stat)

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/tstatbottom.jpg/

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/tstatside.jpg/

Is the t-stat always in between the two housing pieces? My t-stat is sitting in the manifold with the two housing pieces just bolted together and sitting on top of the t-stat and two hole gasket. Its been like this from the day I purchase the boat.

There is a recessed space for the t-stat to sit in the manifold (2001 Monsoon 325), I have not looked between the two housing pieces to see if there is a recessed area.

This may explain some of the cooling problems I have had.

martinarcher and Murphy8166 had the right idea. Take a peek at the pics above to see me using a chisel to get them apart. Thanks everyone for all the help! You all helped clarify things for me so that I could get the tstat out without breaking anything.

I couldn't get it winterized last night, but I've gotta get it done tonight so it looks like I'll be doing the rest in the rain. Fun, fun eh? I guess that's what you get for waiting until the last second :)

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it. I knew it would come apart! Thumbup.gif

Is the t-stat always in between the two housing pieces? My t-stat is sitting in the manifold with the two housing pieces just bolted together and sitting on top of the t-stat and two hole gasket. Its been like this from the day I purchase the boat.

There is a recessed space for the t-stat to sit in the manifold (2001 Monsoon 325), I have not looked between the two housing pieces to see if there is a recessed area.

Not sure how the Indmar is set-up. I'm sure someone who has one will chime in.

...And looking in the Clymer shop manual it states "Install the thermostat into the intake manifold or the thermostat housing."

On a '01 Monsoon II, it should be between the two housings.

I didn't have the problems separating the two housings like the OP, but cleaning the old gasket material off was a real 'treat'.

On a '01 Monsoon II, it should be between the two housings.

I didn't have the problems separating the two housings like the OP, but cleaning the old gasket material off was a real 'treat'.

Thanks for the quick response. I wondered why there was two separate pieces to the housing. I going to dig into it tomorrow.

Can someone link the new gasket to replace. I tore mine up when removing the housing from the block.

Most likely this one.

Could possibly be this one.

You should be able to tell just by looking at it. The "baseball diamond" shaped one is more common (the first link).

Most likely this one.

Could possibly be this one.

You should be able to tell just by looking at it. The "baseball diamond" shaped one is more common (the first link).

Its the first one thanks. DO I need to apply any thing to hold it in place? I know I need to scrape away the remains of the old one first. THanks!

James