Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

13x12 propeller vs 13x13 propeller

Chevy Malibu

Hello need some info , I have a Malibu Response LXI and it has a 13x12 prop on it , I found one localy for sale and it is a 13x13 that I was thinking of buying for a spare , what is the difference in them and what performance will it affect ? any info would be great ,

Was the 13X13 you saw a new CNC prop? If its the older style cast prop, like a OJ legend or 4force, the sizes don't necessarily relate. I have found a 13X13 cast and a 13X12 CNC to have silimiar RPM ranges on my boat.

And if its not new, meaning rebuilt, then it really could be anything. Whats stamped on the hub is just what it started out life as.

Stick with the 13x12. You want your WOT rpms to be in the 4800-5200 range. I have an extra 13x12 if you want it.

Actually I run the 13x13 CNC on my '05 RLXI and I like the fact that at 34.2 mph I'm running about 3240 rpm rather than 3480 m/l with a 12 pitch. It does make my SG a little more touchy but I've adjusted to it no problem. I like not pushing the engine's rpm quite so hard but I don't know if it really saves much fuel or not. I like it better for just general cruising though.

Eyepeeler - what you want for your prop and what is it exactly (CNC, standard nibral, ??)? Message me with a price and some info, I might be interested. I need a spare.

Ed

Hello need some info , I have a Malibu Response LXI and it has a 13x12 prop on it , I found one localy for sale and it is a 13x13 that I was thinking of buying for a spare , what is the difference in them and what performance will it affect ? any info would be great ,

One can not give a definitive statement on what the performance effect will be, but in general terms assuming two similar props an increase in pitch, the second number, will be similar to having a taller gear. Therefore, you will turn less rpm for a given speed as Ed notes. In general, this will reduce your acceleration from rest, offer a slightly softer pull in the slalom course and may change the top speed of the boat (hard to say which way based on how well the original prop was optimized to the enigne and hull).

Prop performance is significantly affected by design, number of blades and even material choices. I would highly recommend calling the manufacturer of the prop in question and get feedback from them. Both OJ and Acme are very responsive and excellent at providing feedback and suggestions on their props. As a side note, I would recommned a different prop as a spare so you can compare the effects of two props since one thing not mentioned is a prop will also affect the wake of the boat, smoothness and noise level.