Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Disturbing Malibu VTX Blog

nemalibu

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakingMeHappy

• Bake's Marine

• nemalibu

• stroker-ace

Thanks everyone.

I really do want a reason to ignore his blog.

The question of "new boat bugs" does continue to linger for me. I am far from any Malibu dealer. I have never purchased a new boat before - I have always looked for either well cared for, or very low use, used boat. Should I expect some bugs on a new boat which would require return visits to the dealer? That could be a big problem for me. I do not have the time to make multiple several hour trips back and forth to a dealer to fix "bugs".

I do all of my current service work except winterizing which I have done by a local marina, but part of my interest in a new boat is starting with a "perfect" boat so that any scratches etc are my own only. I take very good care of my boat (some would say I am a bit extreme about boat care) and I almost never have any issues which impact my uasge (from late April to mid Oct we are out at least 2x per week).

I like the idea of specing the boat just how I want it but if I wound up with a long list of bugs I might well wind up feeling sorry that I purchased the new boat in the first place (and my credibility with my wife might suffer - as I am not only thinking about a new VTX, I am also selling her on the idea).

Should I expect some bugs on a new boat which would require return visits to the dealer?

Yes!

Especially with all the electronics that are on board the 2011s with the new touch screen.

I'd stick to well cared for used or, a V-ride.

Thanks everyone.

I really do want a reason to ignore his blog.

The question of "new boat bugs" does continue to linger for me. I am far from any Malibu dealer. I have never purchased a new boat before - I have always looked for either well cared for, or very low use, used boat. Should I expect some bugs on a new boat which would require return visits to the dealer? That could be a big problem for me. I do not have the time to make multiple several hour trips back and forth to a dealer to fix "bugs".

I do all of my current service work except winterizing which I have done by a local marina, but part of my interest in a new boat is starting with a "perfect" boat so that any scratches etc are my own only. I take very good care of my boat (some would say I am a bit extreme about boat care) and I almost never have any issues which impact my uasge (from late April to mid Oct we are out at least 2x per week).

I like the idea of specing the boat just how I want it but if I wound up with a long list of bugs I might well wind up feeling sorry that I purchased the new boat in the first place (and my credibility with my wife might suffer - as I am not only thinking about a new VTX, I am also selling her on the idea).

The VTX has the wrap around seating and table for entertaining guests, thats what sold my wife........oh and I got my brother in law to say "If you don't buy that boat I'm gonna buy it" thats when she lost it and ordered me to buy it before he could. It worked better than I planned it, I already had the email offer written up and just had to hit "send" (pure genius) :rockon:

I have had no issues except a pinched hose (ballast fill), and I had to tighten the base for the table, nothing to take to the dealer.

nemalibu,

I'm biased as a dealer, but I would disagree that there are any "new boat bugs", especially when referring to a model that has been in production now 3+ years. You may want to speak with other owners in your area about their experience with their own VTX, to get their thoughts first hand on the boat, as well as the service needed from the dealer you may also be working with.

It's a very subjective topic, but I would venture to say that 99% of warranty claims are also not usage-impacting issues, and those that are I can usually provide a get-back-on-the-water fix for that moment. (Disclaimer of course is this may vary with dealers/etc)

Hope that helps,

Peter

Yes!

Especially with all the electronics that are on board the 2011s with the new touch screen.

Everyone has an opinion, just like the hot topics on if the Illusion tower looks good, or the G3 tower looks good, or....you get the idea. So in that vein I have to disagree with Pistol Pete here. Should you expect it to have issues just because it has electronics? No, I don't believe you should. There are actually less electronics in a 2011 than in the 2010. The potential is there in any vehicle, just like there is a potential you won't like the ski wake on a 2011 Bayliner, MC, or any other brand. But I can't comment on any of those, since not only do I not own one....I've never even been in one.

As Dad always said..., If you ask enough people, you'll find the answer you're looking for, but it may not serve you properly.

Peter :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Obviously he doesn't work well with conflict (or this is his first boat) glad the Admin crew weed out people like that from posting on the site.

-Paul

Actually, we don't weed people like that out. They would be welcome to post those issues here, & we have seen a few people like that over the years. However, what people like that tend to find is that the community here does a very good job of policing that kind of, well, ineptitude, ignorance & outright belligerence. We as admins don't do anything unless there is a clear Terms of Use violation. People who are trolling are dealt with appropriately, but that's pretty rare. Most people that are having problems just want some help. Not sure where that guy would fall in, but I'm very confident in saying that the community would sort it appropriately.

Yes!

2011 vtx with almost 100 hours on it now. Not a single problem with the touch screen system at all, it works great!

On a final note putting the tower up has caused me a minor nreve injury using my sholder to hold it up and try to reinsert the pins

It think that one line sums up this persons nature. Someone looking to sue, and is most likely very hard to deal with.

I am going to guess that he is trying ot get Malibu to buy him a new boat... very lame. Some guy with a MC did this with his Mastercraft-sucks website and eventually MC stepped up and called the guy and made things right.. but he has serious issues. This guy complaining about the BTX needs to get a life.. very lame. if you don't like your boat.. sell it... let someone else enjoy it.

Not to play the devils advocate here.....but. There are a few issues that are real. Very few, but valid no less. The staining of the Diamond grain would concern me, as well as the pitting chrome. I am surprised that the illusion X does not rest on the top of the dash. Mine does, is this different for others out there? I put my tower up and down by myself every time it goes in and out of the garage, several times a week. And on my boat I have 4 racks, 4 speakers, 1 pair of lights and the bimini, boy I must be strong!!!!! As a matter of fact, my wife is 5' 3" and has put it up and down on her own. I guess she is a freak of nature. :crazy:

I also have the extreme trailer and the boat gets put in and pulled out at least 6-10 times a week in the summer months. Never had an issue where we were so crooked (and that far on the trailer) to hit the prop guard. I am sure it can and has happened, but it is probably very rare.

Overall, some things should have been looked after, but most are just silly.

We have had our VTX for 3 full summers and have had no big issues. We are actually looking at ordering a new one this fall.

Good luck.

couple points to make here - yeah, new boats have issues- this is a subjective call - people's expectations differ - this guy's blog was/is an attempt to divest himself of his boat - like someone posted - just sell it already and move on - someone will enjoy the boat. secondly - not certain that this got stated with the correct emphasis - with our new boat, we had a few minor issues and Malibu stepped up and made everything right.

But if they weeded them out just a little slower we could have a little more fun. :biggrin:

The question of "new boat bugs" does continue to linger for me.

Do you want the sales guy or the service guy answer to that question? :innocent:

what people like that tend to find is that the community here does a very good job of policing that kind of, well, ineptitude, ignorance & outright belligerence.

What WakingMeHapy said up above :biggrin:

As a organizer of the crew, You need to take some credit making this site as good as the community is, you set the tone and did a great job doing it.

-Paul

Do you want the sales guy or the service guy answer to that question? :innocent:

As a organizer of the crew, You need to take some credit making this site as good as the community is, you set the tone and did a great job doing it.

-Paul

Paul all of us have a much easier job since the Crew really does monitor the board and notify us when things are out of hand.

Bought the 10 VTX in July and put it in the water every weekend, up until a week ago. Even purchased the ACME 1235 prop and had to drive the boat on the trailer because the wind took out the Dock (With no issues I might add and if you know anything about the ACME 1235 prop it is a lot bigger than the stock high altitude prop). My boat has been to the dealer once since I bought it because I am anal and the stitching didn’t line up so I wanted it fixed. The boat is very easy to work on, even winterize. The only issue I have (if you can even call this an issue as it doesn’t pertain to Malibu or their manufacturing process) is I like a big wake but have a 20.8 foot restriction AKA my garage just isn’t big enough for me to buy a bigger boat.

Cant speak highly enough of our 08 VTX and Malibu Factory and my dealer. We love it. We have had our own little issues with different things but nothing that was not handle professionally and in a timely manner. Malibu, Paradise Watersports and the Crew all rock.

:rockon:

-Paul

Plus1.gif

On a final note putting the tower up has caused me a minor nreve injury using my sholder to hold it up and try to reinsert the pins
It think that one line sums up this persons nature. Someone looking to sue, and is most likely very hard to deal with.

As the CO of the local Grammar Police, I'd say that he would be really hard to deal with. :biggrin::lol:

What a putz. Ignore him.

-Paul

Agreed. My comment was, of course, in total jest.

As for how this site is run...I don't think I would want to change a thing.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

2011 vtx with almost 100 hours on it now. Not a single problem with the touch screen system at all, it works great!

Dear chadwick02,

I wanted to send you a message but it looks like you inbox must be full. Could you send me a message?

Dear chadwick02,

I wanted to send you a message but it looks like you inbox must be full. Could you send me a message?

Ha, i guess thats what happens when your crewcheif subscription expires and your inbox shrinks in size.

I'm all paid up now, so my inbox will take more messages, and I'll send you one too.

My favorite is complaining about putting the cover on.... he should have bought the automatic cover install option.

I have a headache after reading that guy's blog. I'm sure his inability to put a proper sentence together is the fault of the education system ... or maybe it's because the computer manufacturer didn't put the keys in the proper places on the keyboard.

HILARIOUS - those comments made my day :thumbup:

To the OP the only advice I can give you is that no matter what boat you get: new, used, this, that, they all will have their quirks and the best you can do is do the research you're doing now, learn about the boat, and know what to look for.

I would *not* by any means write off this boat just because of this person's experience. His blog is extremely biased for the most part and the few issues he did have.. I think any boat owner deals with some issues like that in their lifetime. If I were you I'd try to talk to someone who does have this boat and isn't quite so biased against it.

The "engineering mistake" comment in regards to the trailer put me OVER the top. How you can try to blame a prop cage for you running into it is beyond me. I bet that guy doesn't even understand that that "engineering" mistake is actually put there to protect his prop when he's backing up hills, etc. And then he tries to make himself sound smart by calling it an "engineering" mistake. I would LOVE to see an intelligent engineer give him a total ear-ful.