Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Disturbing Malibu VTX Blog

nemalibu

I am thinking about ordering a VTX (I don't know if I can swing the cost and I still have some questions. But I am seroiusly thinking about it.).

While fishing around on the web I did a google search for Malibu VTX Manual and I came across a disturbing Blog (http://mymalibuvtx.blogspot.com/).

Is this thing real? If so it scares me a bit. It sounds like he got a real lemon and then got poor service afterwards. I do not have time to go back and forth with a dealer (they are all several hours drive from me) and I LOVE my current BU.

I know that everything on the WEB has to be taken with a grain of salt but this really has shaken me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakingMeHappy

• Bake's Marine

• nemalibu

• stroker-ace

"Experienced" boat operator smashes prop with less then three hours on the boat. Sounds like this guy needs to man up and accept a little responsibility for himself. I will never power my boat on or off the trailer. When loading onto the trailer i make sure to stop before the prop comes near the end of the trailer and winch it on the rest. Whether or not the trailer guides would keep it in the right spot so as not to cause damage, i just don't know, and am not going to take the chance. I understand this dude's frustration with the issues in his brand new boat but wow does he ever sound like a whiner with an entire blog dedicated to trashing Malibu.

I think you shouldn't change your decision based on one thing you read, how about all the totally happy VTX owners out there. i bet there's a lot more owners out there that are stoked on their boats than this guy who doesn't have anything nice to say.

There is nothing "wrong" with that guy's boat. He is just a beeotch. 90% of the "problems" are well known design flaws or "quirks". Coming from a 10 year old Moomba, I am guessing he didnt know what he was getting into and I know for sure he did no independent research. Never leave a dealer or manufacturer to be your sole source of information.

Water pooled on your cover? Whaaa. Chrome peeling in an area with salty air? Really? You "might have" sucked debris into your impeller when you dropped your boat into the reeds? I can't imagine that happening. You got sideways in a wind storm and bashed your prop? Nobody ever does that. There is mildew and you store your boat outdoors on a lift? Your boat interior got wet? :crazy:

The tower design is known to be less than perfect. I am guessing the tower hits the dash cuz he is in a 20' boat and it is designed for 21' and longer boats. The wedge and depth finder do have to be calibrated occasionally on some boats. The Black Box is a POS as far as I have read. Therfore, everyone has custom stereos.

If this guys is such an internet hound that he starts his own "blog", why didnt he search the web before having this boat built to his specifications? Furthermore, why didnt he publish his blog in a forum such as themalibucrew.com (where the majority of the Malibu market would find it) rather than just tossing it out there on blogspot.com? Because he is an idiot, that's why.

My point? Dont be scared, this guy is just a moron that is too smart for his own good. And he is jumping from a Kia to a Mercedes Benz and had no idea what he was getting into.

As far as your purchase, buy a 2 year old VLX that is still under warranty and all the "quirks" will have already been exposed and/or sorted out. Save some coin while you are at it.

Edited by stroker-ace

Wow. That dude has some valid comlaints but come on. A lot of that is just plain and simple whining. Boo hooing about his tower touching the dash and having trouble getting it up and down. Last time I checked you need three people to use a wake or ski boat. If raising the tower pinches your nerves you might not want to try anything too crazy behind the boat.

I also agree with Wakeboard dude - ask all the happy VTX owners on the crew. Don't let one squeaky wheel ruin it for you.

Edited by martinarcher

The guys a :loser: . Looks like he caused at least some of these problems and/or didn't do his research. Boat is beached sideways in the grass and his trailer is in the water without a ramp. How does he get water pooling on the cover when there's a roof over the dock. He calls the tower design the worst ever. Did he not fold it down before the purchase? Oh well, his problem...not mine.

Old news, that has been complaining since he bought that boat.

Guy may of had some legitimate problems but cmon, blame the trailer manufacturer because you can't put the boat on the trailer properly, blame Malibu because you can't properly set up poles to keep water from pooling from you cover, blame Indmar for not putting a filter on the intake go you can run your boat in the mud and weeds. Wonder why the tower is heavy after you put a bunch of speakers on it??? Looks like he could use the workout anyway.

And you can just tell this guy must be a total PITA to deal with, so how much of this does the dealer really have to take?

Wow an expert at everything... I love these guys.... you challenge these kinda guys on what they are saying and they fold instantly but so much fun to play with.

My favorite is complaining about putting the cover on.... he should have bought the automatic cover install option.

i agree with you all, seems a dodgy character with a vendetta.. But how the hell can you smash a prop like that up on a trailer? Something doestn sit well with me there. On my trailer, if you can aim it between the poles it will be spot on. going by that pic he is WAY of center. are all your yank trailers that bad that you need to drive it on perfect every time?

Edited by Toby

We have an 08 VTX and its the best boat we ever owned. Previously owned another Malibu, Mastercrafts, Supras, and a Moomba. We've put a couple hundred hours on it and the only problems we have had is replacing a fuel filter and fuel lines (under $100), probably caught some bad gas at the dock, no biggie. We have the Titan tower and I can't speak for tower problems, we love the Titan. Haven't had any problems with interior stains and peeling, but we keep the boat clean. Water did pool on the cover until we put a block of wood under the pole to pop it up just a little higher, after that, no problems. It has been a great boat, I would highly recommend to anyone. This guy has had a few options, but also seems to have created some problems of his own. These are machines and every once in a while one will have problems, but this cat is going way over the top. Overall, I feel like the VTX is a good boat, I know we have loved ours. As others said, yeh this guy has a bad opinion, but I feel most VTX owners would give you a glowing review. Here's one. Good luck.

I have a headache after reading that guy's blog. I'm sure his inability to put a proper sentence together is the fault of the education system ... or maybe it's because the computer manufacturer didn't put the keys in the proper places on the keyboard.

i agree with you all, seems a dodgy character with a vendetta.. But how the hell can you smash a prop like that up on a trailer? Something doestn sit well with me there. On my trailer, if you can aim it between the poles it will be spot on. going by that pic he is WAY of center. are all your yank trailers that bad that you need to drive it on perfect every time?

Not at all, he had that trailer WAY to deep to allow the boat to hit it like that, or he came at it way to hot and put the thing over the fender.

Either way it took some serious talent to do that.

No, that looks like user error to me.

I have a headache after reading that guy's blog. I'm sure his inability to put a proper sentence together is the fault of the education system ... or maybe it's because the computer manufacturer didn't put the keys in the proper places on the keyboard.

:rofl:

I'll tell you how if you promise to try it.

I have an 08 VTX, (2007 boat of the year). It is the best boat I have ever owned or driven (I used to work at a dealer ship and have done more than 500 sea trials). It does everything very well, (ski wake, wake boarding. surfing, etc.) It really has a sporty feel, and doesn't feel like a barge like a lot of wake boats do. Best of all, it fits in my garage so it stays safe, warm, and dry. Don't listen to that idiot, guys like that will always complain about stuff and blame everyone but themselves. Too bad God didn't distribute the gift of intelligence equally. :werule:

WOW!

What a whiny Douche. I feel bad for the dealer. All this guys problems are his fault. Too bad for the people that come into contact with this Douche.

Edited by signguy

Obviously he doesn't work well with conflict (or this is his first boat) glad the Admin crew weed out people like that from posting on the site.

-Paul

Obviously he doesn't work well with conflict (or this is his first boat) glad the Admin crew weed out people like that from posting on the site.

-Paul

But if they weeded them out just a little slower we could have a little more fun. :biggrin:

Boo hooing about ... having trouble getting it up ...

I think you nailed it right there. :lol:

...But how the hell can you smash a prop like that up on a trailer?... are all your yank trailers that bad that you need to drive it on perfect every time?

:no:

Not at all, he had that trailer WAY to deep to allow the boat to hit it like that, or he came at it way to hot and put the thing over the fender.

Either way it took some serious talent to do that.

He was too busy yelling "Dee, Dee, Dee..."* to notice that he was sideways on his trailer. :crazy:

*For an explanation of the "Dee, Dee, Dee..." reference Carlos Mencia. :biggrin:

I like they way he blends fact and emotion all together into an intriging story.

(hi-jack on)

I can state from personal experience it is possible to get the boat on a Boatmate trailer in a way to damage the prop and the trailer.

My son was loading ours. We were on a steep ramp and it was difficult to get the trailer in at a depth where it was easy to load but where the back would not float around. He got about few feet from all the way on and I asked him to give it a little gas for that last bit. As he did, his grip slipped and he trned the wheel (sharp right) and hit the throttle pretty hard. The boat (luckily) mostly missed the winch and support on the bow, but the prop got into one of the lower rails on the trailer.

Nobody was hurt (not counting his ego), the prop repair was $150, some rubbing compound and wax took care of the rub from the front rubber roller, and some sanding and good paint has taken care of the trailer scratches. Luckily there was no damage to the shafting or the hull.

In 2 years, that was our first "mishap" with the boat / trailer, so I am not complaining. Part of the cost of learning.

Maybe I shoud reply to this guys blog and try to blame Malibu, Boatmate and Acme for this event?

Maybe even the state of Tennessee, it was their ramp.

(hi-jack off)

Edited by Soon2BV

I like how many times he blames the wind throughout the blog (trailering problems, covering problems, docking problems). Also, how does a boat that is stored under a roofed boat house get so wet? Oh yeah, it's the winds fault again. Better send Mother Nature a nasty email.