Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Draining water from vdrive

I have a new to me 2001 VLX that I am winterizing.

I have drained the hoses, manifolds and block. I then used the pickup hose exiting the vdrive to run RV antifreeze through the system until it came out the exhaust.

What about the vdrive?

I took the hoses off both sides and used air to blow it out. Is this good enough?

Thanks

Joe.

You're probably fine, Cutlas.

But, if you want to be 100% sure you got all the water out, I drew up this diagram real quick based on memory. Sorry if it's not 100% accurate and to scale. You will see the water drains as square shaped plugs in the upper right hand corner of my diagram. Please note that there is another plug exactly diagonally opposite the one you see in the diagram. BTW, still waitin' on that beer.

v-drive.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

From the picture I see pulling the lines does not leave any water in the Vdrive.

I am good to go.

We had snow this morning.

The great white north.

Gotta love it.

Pete, the beer is on me If I get down your way or you can find your way up here.

I've got a related question (sorry for the hijack)...I opened the square drain plugs on the v-drive, but I didn't remove the two hoses. I figured gravity would simply drain the hose going to the raw water intake and the hose going to the impeller was removed at the impeller end and drained there. Is this okay, or should I have also removed the hoses from the v-drive unit?

All,

Quick question regarding winterizing the Vdrive and the engine on my 2004 Wakesetter VLX. If i remove the thermostat from the engine. Pull the raw water intake hose from the bottom of the boat. Connect this to a bucket filled with anitfreeze. Run the engine until the antifreeze is flowing out of the exhaust ports in rear of the boat. Won't this ensure that I have both my entire engine cooling system and my vdrive cooling system filled with antifreeze? Would there still be a need to disconnect all of the hoses and remove the drain plugs?

I get that removing drain plugs, disconnecting hoses and blowing out the lines gets all most all of the water out of the system. But doing it the way I described above does that too and, the anitfreeze helps with anti corrosion inside the cooling systems.

Thoughts?

Thanx,

Gary

All,

Quick question regarding winterizing the Vdrive and the engine on my 2004 Wakesetter VLX. If i remove the thermostat from the engine. Pull the raw water intake hose from the bottom of the boat. Connect this to a bucket filled with anitfreeze. Run the engine until the antifreeze is flowing out of the exhaust ports in rear of the boat. Won't this ensure that I have both my entire engine cooling system and my vdrive cooling system filled with antifreeze? Would there still be a need to disconnect all of the hoses and remove the drain plugs?

I get that removing drain plugs, disconnecting hoses and blowing out the lines gets all most all of the water out of the system. But doing it the way I described above does that too and, the anitfreeze helps with anti corrosion inside the cooling systems.

Thoughts?

Thanx,

Gary

That is a quick way to a $6000 to $8000 repair bill.

Not directed at you but there have been more questions this year about if you have to drain before you add antifreeze and how you can just run 10 gallons on antifreeze in there and be ok...the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

You MUST drain the hoses, block, and v-drive of water, then you can OPTIONALLY add antifreeze afterwords to make you sleep better at night.

FWIW the RV antifreeze has very little anti-corrosive properties.

-Chris

99response.

I forgot to add in my note that my first step is to pull the drain plugs on both the block and the vdrive and, drain the hoses. After I reconnect everything, I will then run the antifreeze through the system.

As for the antifreeze, I don't use the pink RV stuff. I get the green "environmentally friendly" type. I used this for years in my old MC prostar direct drive and it seemed to work well.

• 1 month later...

OK, there is the topo of my storie. To make long story short. This is my first Malibu (first boat anyway). I have read alot about witerizing on several forums and have decide to go to the shortest way by draining water the most has possible (without removing plugs) and than to suck up a 2.5 gallons of plumbing A/F until the anti freeze was coming out the back.

I have winterized my boat with that product: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=912235&Ntt=912235&partNumber=912235&catalogId=&storeId=10051&langId=-15&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=level1&eid=RCM. The extra have been left in a bucket stored in a garden shed. I saw that bucket yesterday, there was a frozen layer on top (likely slushed) ... I'm freaking to see that has it say -50 and if I looke at the outside thermometer, I can read -10!!! Does it mean my boat is in danger? If you know a little bit more about my concern, please let me know your point of view.