Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a ski and barefoot boat around 10k

gorski123

Hey hows it going all,

So I recently moved on a private all sports like with a ski course. Ive skied ever since I was a kid, but always trailered to the lake and back. This past summer living on the lake, I got pretty heavy into running the course with some other guys on the lake in the mornings. They all have inboard ski boats. I have an I/O, which really sux after skiing off of their boats. I have also recently gotten into footing, which is next to impossible to do of my I/O with a 4cyl.

I really want a great ski boat for the course that also has a decent wake and top speed for barefooting. Im not too concerned about anything else, it just needs to do these two things very well. I have been looking at the response and response LX, but it seems to be hard to get one of them near the 10k price point. I have also been looking and the mastercraft prostar 190s but I have no idea how they are for barefooting, anyone have any experience with them? I have also been looking at the echelons, but I dunno how they compare to the responses in terms of wake for skiing and footing. Also how do the older responses compare to the newer ones also, I know they have the mericruiser engines, what are their top speeds compared to the monsoons?

Jason

I would really try to find an Echelon. It is an all around great boat for both skiing the course and footing. We used to ski behind one we put 1100 hrs on it all pretty much at barefoot speeds. I would stay away from the MC they just can't get the speed for footing and the wake is really not that nice either.

Edited by mibarefooter

You need one of these, PM me if your in the North East

Can you view the Boat House if your not a paid member?

Yes, as long as you're registered you can view it.

I would really try to find an Echelon. It is an all around great boat for both skiing the course and footing. We used to ski behind one we put 1100 hrs on it all pretty much at barefoot speeds. I would stay away from the MC they just can't get the speed for footing and the wake is really not that nice either.

^^ this

Echelon would be my vote.

Maybe I'm biased but for footin' and slalom I'd be looking for a Sportster or Sportster LX. With what the economy has done to boat values you should be able to find one around $10K.

Hey thx alot guys for the advice!

So it sounds like most of you recommend the skier or the echelon. Looking on through the specs it looks like the echelon first came out in 93 and had the SV23 hull, it sounds like this hull is pretty frigging sweet. Im thinking the echelon would be quite a bit better than a skier?

Also it looks like the response came out in 95 and also has the sv23 hull (up until 99 or 98 where it switched to the diamond). How does the early response compare to the echelon? Should I favor one over the other?

Any one have any idea what the top speeds would be on these boats? What am I really missing out on getting one of these over an early 2000 response that's gonna cost me like double? I'm mechanically inclined so a carbed motor doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I have heard the correct crafts suck for barefooting, Im suprized to hear the prostars aren't the greatest as well, any one else have experience with them first hand? The main reason I was interested in them was the all glass hulls. I'm guessing the echelons and early responses were glass as well? Oh yeah and thx for the boat offers but I prolly wont buy until the spring.

Thanks again for all your responses,

Jason

I have no experience with the Echelon's, but I have no doubt they would be an awesome boat. The downside about the Skier if you have a big crew is it seats 6 with the closed bow. The upside is, if you have a small crew, the closed bow holds a ton of gear. I loved the slalom wake and had just started footing behind it. It would get me out and on my butt in a hurry. The boom worked well with it as well.

Top speed on the Skier with the four blade OJ was about 42-43.

Edited by martinarcher

If you are anywhere near this boat look no further. It is the nastiest Skier on the planet.

Go buy it.

:plus1:

Well documented and super clean. Used to be Martinarcher's, in case you didn't catch that.

Response and Echelon are the same boat. Echelon had an upgraded instrument package, most of which broke. My Echelon LX (open bow walk thru) has the Response dash package as a replacement. Not really a big deal, as it still had standard speedometers.

Echelon (closed bow)

Echelon LX (walk thru open bow with locker in floor)

Response (closed bow)

Response LX (step over open bow "playpen" style)

Response LXi (walk thru open with locker)

Sportster (closed bow)

Sportster LX (step over open bow "playpen")

Check the Resources section and look at the brochures for more info.

My Echelon LX with a Merc 265hp does 44mph for reference.

Im suprized to hear the prostars aren't the greatest as well, any one else have experience with them first hand? The main reason I was interested in them was the all glass hulls.

I can speak first hand about a MC Prostar 190 for footin. I had a 97 prostar 190 (260hp) prior to my LXI. Ski wake on 94-97's is top notch. Footin was fine off a boom, but needed another 4-5 MPH for for good long line speed. Top end was right at 40-41 mph with a 13 x 13 prop. I would'nt shy away from MC in this year range, but look for something with the LT1 corvette engine. That will get you that added ponies you need for footing. Good luck!

Edited by BuFootin

So it sounds like most of you recommend the skier or the echelon. Looking on through the specs it looks like the echelon first came out in 93 and had the SV23 hull, it sounds like this hull is pretty frigging sweet. Im thinking the echelon would be quite a bit better than a skier?

Subjective, at best. But most would say yes.

Also it looks like the response came out in 95 and also has the sv23 hull (up until 99 or 98 where it switched to the diamond). How does the early response compare to the echelon? Should I favor one over the other?

The diamond Response was introduced in '98, & it gained a trunk in '99. The hull on the '96 & '97 Response was exactly the same as that of all of the Echelons, so those 2 years will be nearly identical to any of the Echelons. The diamond Responses will be softer.

Any one have any idea what the top speeds would be on these boats? What am I really missing out on getting one of these over an early 2000 response that's gonna cost me like double? I'm mechanically inclined so a carbed motor doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I can't comment on that, but I would try to look for a boat with an Indmar motor.

I have heard the correct crafts suck for barefooting, Im suprized to hear the prostars aren't the greatest as well, any one else have experience with them first hand? The main reason I was interested in them was the all glass hulls. I'm guessing the echelons and early responses were glass as well? Oh yeah and thx for the boat offers but I prolly wont buy until the spring.

All Responses & Echelons are fiberglass, no wood. Most (if not all) Skiers have at least some wood in them.

See answers in red above.

For footing and Slalom at 10 grand, definitely Echelon or Sportster. My 97 has the Merc Scorpion MPI which has plenty of power for multiple footers. Earlier Echelons had a big block option but I'm not sure what that did to the slalom wake.

Sportsters are a blast to drive, and have a similiar wake to the Echelon. I think the difference is construction and amenities. Echelon is more solid with more standard features. But you will be able to get into a newer sportster with less hours for the money. Either way find one that has been cared for and it will last a good long time.

• 5 months later...

I know this post is pretty old, but - I just sold my boat and I (like everyone else in Michigan it seems) am looking for a new boat! If anyone has a Malibu for sale in the price range of 8k to 12.5k please let me know. I am willing to make a long distance drive if necessary. I am open to pretty much anything at this point. I would prefer an Echelon or perhaps a Sportster or Response if it fits in the budget. I would like a wedge, open bow and perfect pass but they are just wishes, not necessities (at least not for now!).

Thanks a lot guys!

Jason

I know you said open bow, but Skiers Pier has a nice '98 Sportster that has been owned by at least 2 of us here. After thinking I would never go for a closed bow, I didn't really miss the open bow. If you're really into the just skiing the course and barefooting you should really consider it. The wake is incredible. I see they also have an older Echelon, but it looks like closed bow also.

Edited by Badger

I recently bought a 98 malibu echelon. prior to that I had an 89 prostar 190 and my dad used to own a 91 prostar 190. My dad now owns a 98 echelon like mine, and my neighbor owns a 97 response. the 89 prostar is good for skiing the course up to about 28 off, where the spray gets bad. also the wake is a bit steeper/harder than the newer models (both malibu and mastercraft). I have had good luck footing with it, but the wake is a bit steeper than the others. the 91 prostar has, in my judgement, the best wake of any of these boats as long as there is only one spotter. Any more than that and there is a large bump at 28 off. I love that boat for skiing and footing though. the echelon and the response are much better in terms of spray and consistent wake size/shape at all line lengths and also with more weight in the boat. i sold my 89 prostar for 6800 and bought my 98 echelon for about 12k. this may well get me in trouble here, but I personally think that if you are looking at anything pre 1993, the prostar 190 is a better built boat than the malibus at that time. Someone can correct me, but I know mastercraft started going with no wood throughout back as early as 89, and for some reason I don't think malibu started that until later. I am not a fan of the mid 1996 to about 2000 prostars and think malibu definitely had the edge in that time period. hope that helps.

Thanks again for all your responses,

Jason

Someone can correct me, but I know mastercraft started going with no wood throughout back as early as 89, and for some reason I don't think malibu started that until later. I am not a fan of the mid 1996 to about 2000 prostars and think malibu definitely had the edge in that time period. hope that helps.

Malibu went all Fiberglass in 1993 I believe.