Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RESPONSE LX HOW SHALLOW CAN YOU GO

eyepeeler

I have a 2001 Response LX and specs say the draft is 16". They are lowering my lake and my ski cove is getting shallow at one end. Right now I am spinning on plane in 30" of water. What do you think is the minimum amount of water to spin on plane?

Edited by eyepeeler

I'll bite, what do you mean by "spinning on plane"?

I was googling that when you asked to see if I missed a cool new boating term. LOL.gif

I know I wouldn't be comfortable turning my boat around in 30 inches of water. Unsure.gif

What you will do is kick up a lot of yuk from the bottom.

That's was my first thought. The skier will then pass through the suspended debris and in effect "sandblast" the base of their ski. :shocked: That would not make me very happy. :no:

That's was my first thought. The skier will then pass through the suspended debris and in effect "sandblast" the base of their ski. :shocked: That would not make me very happy. :no:

We are making a really tight spin at the shallow end so I am flying outside of the mud kick-up wake during the spin, really quite thrilling.

We are making a really tight spin at the shallow end so I am flying outside of the mud kick-up wake during the spin, really quite thrilling.

Oh. I was figuring you were on a tournament lake with turn islands which kind of dictates that the skier stays near the wake. Just be careful. I would imagine that a fall in 30" of water might hurt quite a bit if you don't manage to stay shallow. :yes:

I have a 2001 Response LX and specs say the draft is 16". They are lowering my lake and my ski cove is getting shallow at one end. Right now I am spinning on plane in 30" of water. What do you think is the minimum amount of water to spin on plane?

how are you measuring that 30"?

some methods are going to give you a more accurate answer than others (ie yardstick vs sounder).

are you the only boat on the pond? if not that depth will change by the moment.

the only true indication of "minimum amount of water" will be a bent prop.

then the next question is how many times can you afford to replace/rebuild the prop?

how are you measuring that 30"?

---- I'm measuring with a yardstick and also the lake level is measured every hour by TVA available by phone and internet.

some methods are going to give you a more accurate answer than others (ie yardstick vs sounder).

are you the only boat on the pond? if not that depth will change by the moment.

----- I'm on public lake in a designated ski cove. There are slight water fluctuations by the hour.

the only true indication of "minimum amount of water" will be a bent prop.

----- Bent prop would indicate less than minimum amount required. If your boat draws 22" on plane, 30" should be fine.

then the next question is how many times can you afford to replace/rebuild the prop?

-----The idea is how shallow can you go without dinging the prop.

Edited by eyepeeler
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We used to have our jump set up in a cow pond in Corning, CA, and one year it was so low we could not power down in the landing area without putting the boat on the bottom. We had a 92' Ski Brendella at the time. The water was literally knee deep, but the bottom was mostly muck. I do not recall any bad incidents, although I do recall thinking we were pretty stupid at the time. 31" sounds like plenty to me--that's almost waist deep.

30 inches will be fine on a response, on my home river there is a shallow part of about 35inches deep. and the only way we can get through it is when on the plane, if we are towing a boarder we will stop and pull up the wedge, keeping all the tanks full as well as fatsacks. put everyone up the front except the driver and go through it at about 30mph while the boarder is still on the back.

30 inches you will have no worries

lots of people run in waist deep water in coves without even realizing it at our lake. Swimming some of the coves was a real eye opener for me. Although our lake is pretty well controlled it does get low at times. For us the big worries are stumps as it is a hydro empoundment lake in land that was formerly wooded and when the water is low you "find" the stumps you have been clearing by a couple of inches but never knew were there.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. Our lake is now 6.5 feet low at winter level so I went and looked at the ski cove today where I have been spinning in 30 inches of water. There are two medium-small 70 year old stumps close to where I have been spinning. The bigger one is about 18 inches tall. I got lucky and pulled it out by hand. I couldn't budge the smaller stump. It sticks up about 6 inches. I might try to bust it up with a sledge hammer. The rest of the bottom is flat and pure muck. Should be good to go.