Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to remove the impeller

Woodsprinter

Yesterday I tried to remove the impeller with long nose plier. Impeller didn't move at all.. Very diffcult to reach it because of tight space in rear.. :crazy:

Or lay on top of the engine and reach down with 2 short flathead screwdrivers and pry it out from either side.

And because someone is going to say it.....I find that my purse it too large to get into that tight space so I hit it with my clutch instead.

-Chris

I can reach impeller allright but I can't take a closer look inside impeller. What my most concern is how to remove impeller...

Stick the two flathead screwdrivers in between the housing and the impeller from either side and dig them into the impeller and leverage against the housing. Should come right out.

-Chris

Stick the two flathead screwdrivers in between the housing and the impeller from either side and dig them into the impeller and leverage against the housing. Should come right out.

-Chris

Will try that..

I bought one and it works great. I took one look at the location of the impeller and figured this tool would make my life much easier.

Being an newer BU owner (less than 2 years) I am curious as to how often an impeller needs replaced and what conditions would cause it to fail sooner??

Being an newer BU owner (less than 2 years) I am curious as to how often an impeller needs replaced and what conditions would cause it to fail sooner??

Just using the boat will cause the impeller to wear. I have been using the Globe impeller & run it for about 2 yrs or 175 - 200 hrs. The last one I pulled out was in great condition & probably could have gone another year.

Even when I ran the Johnson impeller in my MC, same time frame & the same kind of hours, and never had an impeller fail. The only time I ever had one fail was shortly after I bought that boat. It was about 5 - 6 yrs old, had about 60 hrs on it & had been sitting in a barn it's whole life. I ended up replacing all the belts & hoses on that engine. Plus had dry rot issues in the interior & one of the boat covers.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Two of these paint can openers do the trick for me:

paint-can-opener.jpg

Of course, my engine faces the right direction, which makes this job (and most others) a snap!

Edited by jcochrane007

Squirt some shampoo in and around the fins and bump the motor. Impeller will be much easier to remove with whatever method you use. I, personally, hit it with my 5lb. sledge with short handle.

Squirt some shampoo in and around the fins and bump the motor. Impeller will be much easier to remove with whatever method you use. I, personally, hit it with my 5lb. sledge with short handle.

I hear it is a good way to remove the gorilla fins too.

Just spray some type of lube(soap, WD-40, etc) around the impeller, and bump the engine over several times. It should work itself out. Then just grab it with pliers.

Like Air Junky said... I'm running a global also and have 2 ys/200 hrs on and it is in great shape. I will replace it this winter, and keep it for my spare.

I finally removed the impeller with locking jaw plier after I sprayed wd-40 inside. The paint openers didn't do trick for me.. That's before I sprayed WD-40. Oh well..

IMG00284-20101023-1307.jpg

One fin was gone. I didn't see any missing fin in impeller house. Geez! I also noticed the the center pin inside the house is not center which caused the difficult time removing the impeller. Is it normal?

IMG00285-20101023-1308.jpg

Edited by Woodsprinter

Look for the missing impeller piece(s) in the transmission cooler (or in the hose leading to the tranny cooler).

And yes, there is a cam piece inside the pump housing which, in effect, causes the shaft to be off-center. That is normal.