Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to drain Ski vee Transmisson fluid

Woodsprinter

I don't see where to drain the ski vee transmisson. How do I drain it without spilling on bigle?

If you're in the cabin, facing the rear of the boat looking down on the Ski Vee unit, there should be 2 dipsticks. One should be closer to you, the other will be farther to the rear, maybe even under the rear seat back. Use a pump to suck it out, & only put back the amount that you take out. Both the tranny & vdrive take Dexron III tranny fluid in the Ski Vee. No need to run the motor first.

I sucked it with my Mityvac.. It worked good. Before I pour fluid. I bought Castrol Dexron/Mercon fluid.. Should I use Dexron III instead? Do I measure dipstick after I screw to close and open? or just stick and measure? Thanks..

Edited by Woodsprinter

I sucked it with my Mityvac.. It worked good. Before I pour fluid. I bought Castrol Dexron/Mercon fluid.. Should I use Dexron III instead? Do I measure dipstick after I screw to close and open? or just stick and measure? Thanks..

Dexron/Mercon is fine, but you need to make sure that it's either II or III according to the manual. Look on the back of the container & it should show compatibility.

As far as measuring, I never screwed it back in, I just cleaned it off, then stuck it back in to measure. Keep in mind that you'll need to have it on the water, floating level to get an accurate measurement. That's why we always say, put back what you took out, no more no less.

If you're in the cabin, facing the rear of the boat looking down on the Ski Vee unit, there should be 2 dipsticks. One should be closer to you, the other will be farther to the rear, maybe even under the rear seat back. Use a pump to suck it out, & only put back the amount that you take out. Both the tranny & vdrive take Dexron III tranny fluid in the Ski Vee. No need to run the motor first.

I want to clarify about two dipstick. Do I need to suck both of them? Are they separate pan?