Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How does the Iride ski through a slalom course

pmick

I am looking to buy a new boat for my family (son 14, daughter 16), we mainly like to waterski but try wakeboarding also. my son is just able to make it through the course (he was making it off a jet ski). I want to get a crossover boat that is more geared toward skiing. What does anyone think of the Iride fo skiing a slolom course? or what boat would you recommend?

Well for more slalom performance I'd recommend only the '02 Sunsetter it's on the diamond hull (better for skiing) or the Sunsetter LXI ('99-'04). Both slalom great and yet w/ some front ballast and the wedge produce intermediate wakeboard wakes.

I have an 04 wakesetter DD, basically the same boat as the I ride. The wake starts to flatten out at around 26-28 mph, it will make a nice wake with the factory ballest+wedge+about 5 or so people in the baot. (need some more ballest). You might want to look for something on the cut-dimond hull as that will ski better and at wake speeds the cut-dimond will still make a good wake with ballest and wedge.

Hope this helps

REW

I am looking to buy a new boat for my family (son 14, daughter 16), we mainly like to waterski but try wakeboarding also. my son is just able to make it through the course (he was making it off a jet ski). I want to get a crossover boat that is more geared toward skiing. What does anyone think of the Iride fo skiing a slolom course? or what boat would you recommend?

I am actually looking at a 2005 Iride for 20k and wondering if we will be happy with it? So from what everyone is trying to say, this boat does not ski that great (if you want to ski a slalom course) and i should look for a boat with a diamond hall.

Edited by pmick

So from what everyone is trying to say, this boat does not ski that great (if you want to ski a slalom course) and i should look for a boat with a diamond hall.

It's all relative. If you've never skied behind an inboard only an i/o it'll be a huge improvement. A pure slalom machine is the Response but it's not the best crossover. The I-ride is the Sunsetter just renamed. It doesn't slalom bad by any means the wakes are just harder w/o the diamond hull but roughly the same size as a diamond hull boat such as the '02 sunsetter. Imho when the course is involved it really reduces the choices, remember a crossover boat will excel at some not as much on others. The best thing is to demo and ski behind it.

All things being equal.....

Below 30-32mph, the wake will really begin to build behind an I-Ride/Sunsetter. The LXi or FXi do much better of keeping a flatter wake at those slower slalom speeds. Think of it this way:

I-Ride - good crossover with wakeboarding emphasis

Sunsetter LXi or Response FXi - good crossover with slalom emphasis

Echo Malibudude on the demo comment.

Well I guess I'm the first to reply that actually has a iRide :whistle:

For one, I can guarantee the wake is going to be bigger than a jet ski wake.

The problem is that I've only used my iRide for free skiing since the Michigan DNR won't issue a permit for me to put a course on our lake :rant: I would also say that my emphasis is on slalom. My son and daughter would probably say wakeboarding.

I have skiied the course, but have done it at a private lake behind a Mastercraft 197.

From my free skiing experience I would say the iRide would be pretty good through the course if you are running 30 MPH or better and don't have the boat loaded up with a crew (not including the person skiiing I would stick to 2 people in the boat or 3 if two of the people are small). If you are at course speeds of 34 or 36 it really flattens out. I usually ski at 15 off. The "bump" at 22 off looks like it would be a doozy at slower speeds.

I have had people with other inboard boats (mastercraft 205, a few moombas) say they actually like our wake better than theirs. Although the iRide wake isn't flat like the response, there aren't any big troughs or peaks so you shouldn't get launched.

As for wakeboarding, I fill the center ballast and it's a good starting point. If you want more, you can drop the wedge. If even more if desired, some additional people or fat sacks. My kids (roughly the same age) can surf ropeless with a couple of fat sacs, wedge, and center ballast.

If you are going to try some boats and can afford it, try the VTX on a cut diamond hull. If you're looking at an iRide for the price, still try before you buy, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Nope, not the first. I had a 2004 Wakesetter that we used very much as a crossover, & had it in the course many times. Same boat. We were also able to compare directly with the SS LXi, many times on the same day.

Of course you are the first to reply that currently owns one. :)

Well I guess I'm the first to reply that actually has a iRide :whistle:

For one, I can guarantee the wake is going to be bigger than a jet ski wake.

The problem is that I've only used my iRide for free skiing since the Michigan DNR won't issue a permit for me to put a course on our lake :rant: I would also say that my emphasis is on slalom. My son and daughter would probably say wakeboarding.

I have skiied the course, but have done it at a private lake behind a Mastercraft 197.

From my free skiing experience I would say the iRide would be pretty good through the course if you are running 30 MPH or better and don't have the boat loaded up with a crew (not including the person skiiing I would stick to 2 people in the boat or 3 if two of the people are small). If you are at course speeds of 34 or 36 it really flattens out. I usually ski at 15 off. The "bump" at 22 off looks like it would be a doozy at slower speeds.

I have had people with other inboard boats (mastercraft 205, a few moombas) say they actually like our wake better than theirs. Although the iRide wake isn't flat like the response, there aren't any big troughs or peaks so you shouldn't get launched.

As for wakeboarding, I fill the center ballast and it's a good starting point. If you want more, you can drop the wedge. If even more if desired, some additional people or fat sacks. My kids (roughly the same age) can surf ropeless with a couple of fat sacs, wedge, and center ballast.

If you are going to try some boats and can afford it, try the VTX on a cut diamond hull. If you're looking at an iRide for the price, still try before you buy, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

to cederlakeskier

I am also looking at a2007 Mastercraft TT Prostar197 $26k, how does your Iride ski wake compare to the 197 you skied on

We bought our iRide at the start of the summer planning on doing everything. For skiing it is ok. However, we ended up keeping our old Supra ski boat because the wake is WAY softer and the illusion tower interferes once the rope starts to get shorter. For wakeboarding we are really happy. We have the Power Wedge and depending on people in the boat throw in extra fat sacs.

I ski behind two different MC 197's and I can tell you they both skied different, I wasn't the only one that noticed a huge difference between them. Unless you want a newer model year boat the SS LXI fits the bill imho. It's got a much softer slalom wake, tracks much better and with the wedge and the front MLS (ski locker) no real storage is lost while producing a good wakeboard wake. The 18 cu. ft. rear trunk is dam near still class leading....

We bought our iRide at the start of the summer planning on doing everything. For skiing it is ok. However, we ended up keeping our old Supra ski boat because the wake is WAY softer and the illusion tower interferes once the rope starts to get shorter. For wakeboarding we are really happy. We have the Power Wedge and depending on people in the boat throw in extra fat sacs.

That's the thing that is easy to lose sight of. The SS LXi & other diamond hull boats create wakes that are soft. The I-Ride is a great boat, but even at 34-36 mph where it lays down nice & flat, it's still a harder wake than that of the LXi. The OP really should be looking at a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXi, IMO.

I am actually looking at a 2005 Iride for 20k and wondering if we will be happy with it? So from what everyone is trying to say, this boat does not ski that great (if you want to ski a slalom course) and i should look for a boat with a diamond hall.

$20k is a very good deal on that boat...

That's the thing that is easy to lose sight of. The SS LXi & other diamond hull boats create wakes that are soft. The I-Ride is a great boat, but even at 34-36 mph where it lays down nice & flat, it's still a harder wake than that of the LXi. The OP really should be looking at a '99-'04 Sunsetter LXi, IMO.

The old SS LXi wake is just as, or softer than the current RLXi. The FXi would be a menace. If you are getting that hull, just get a vtx on a cut diamond.

The old SS LXi wake is just as, or softer than the current RLXi. The FXi would be a menace. If you are getting that hull, just get a vtx on a cut diamond.

You think so? The FXi is definitely wide for a course boat, but with that weight distribution and hull, I'd imagine it makes a really really nice slalom rig. I've heard (haven't experienced myself) that the FXi and LXi aren't considerably different wake-wise.

Actually, there was one member that had intimate experience with the old SS LXi that skied the FXi & said that the new boat was very, very comparable to The Classic.

Actually, there was one member that had intimate experience with the old SS LXi that skied the FXi & said that the new boat was very, very comparable to The Classic.

Why not look at a Response LXI, it will ski great and you can still do casual wakeboarding and surfing.

I just bought a '01 Sunsetter LXI this spring with the exact same wants in mind that you have right now; crossover boat that leans toward slalom. I can tell you that we could not be happier with our boat. The slalom wake at all speeds is butter and there is no real 22' off bump to speak of. My wife skies 28 - 32mph 15' off, I ski 32 -34mph into 28' off, and one of our crew skis 34 -36mph into 32' off and we are all equally happy with the boats wake performance at all levels. Now, we have the center ski locker MLS, the wedge and a Titan II tower and come afternoon the boat makes for a great wakeboard boat. The boat throws and intermediate wakeboard wake when compared to a Wakesetter, but by no means does the wake limit our ability to do tricks, including inverts.

Now I know I did not answer your question about the iRide, but based on what you are looking for I would highly recommend you look into the '00 - '04 SSlxi. If you look hard enough and are willing to drive a bit you can score a '00 - '02 SSlxi well equiped for $19 - $22k.

Hope that helps!

pmick,

There isn't really a comparison. When crossing a wake on a 197 you barely notice it's there. To clarify the boat I skied behind was a 197, not a T/T 197. I thought the tournament team boat had some minor modifications that gave it a better hole shot, but less top end (different prop and gear ratio maybe?). I think the hull/wake are the exact same though.

The iRIde is not a 197 or response, but the iRide would be skiable through a course in my opinion.

I've heard (haven't experienced myself) that the FXi and LXi aren't considerably different wake-wise.

I had a 2002 Sunsetter (diamond hull) and test skied the 2009 RFXI when we purchased our 2009 RLXI. At 22 off and longer the RFXI felt nearly identical to my Sunsetter. The wake was slightly better on the RFXI at 22 off, basically the bump was not as hard but still there. At the time I didn't ski shorter lengths but the wake looked very similar in shape and size. Based on the comments of the realy short rope guys, the RFXI is about 10% worse than the RLXI. I can believe this statement due to the wider and heavier hull of the RFXI.

I think you would be happy with the iRide, I was really trying to push my neighbor to a 20 LSV or the iRide for cross over use but he found a new Supra that he just couldn't pass on. It's always a compromise if you want multisport functionality, but for the price of that iRide you could sell or trade it in a few years if your watersport focus changes and not really lose much of your original investment.

each to their own... i dont like the new lxi, I would like the fxi even less. wake size I would say is on par, softness I would question. LONG LIVE SV23 DIAMOND HULLS!

anyone know of an 07-09, CC 196 going cheap? :whistle:

Well you have to be fair to the FXi, it wasn't built to compete with or replace the Response LXi. So making that comparison really isn't correct at all. It was designed to replace the old Sunsetter LXi ('04 & earlier), & by the reports from people well experienced with both boats it more than holds its own in that particular comparison.

We had an 04 Wakesetter DD, which as someone else said, I think is the same boat as the IRide. It was a good crossover boat for us, since we slalom, wakeboard and surf. Its definately no Response, but for a crossover boat, it can handle the course. I would run the course around 30mph behind it no problem. You do need to get it up to around that speed to flatten out the wake, but its definately a boat that can run the course. The only boat we ever found that was really a better crossover was the Diamond VTX, hence our upgrade. Its a good boat, good luck.

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful response to my question. From what everyone said (and it was hard to decide) I decided to look for a Lxi or a prostar 197. I found a 2007 Mastercraft TT Prostar 197 with a tower on ebay, bid on it and won $27.5K. It hurt to pass up that Iride for 20k. But I think i will be happier with the 197. I still have to drive to Texas from Ohio to get the boat. Very nervous but excited. Wish me Luck, I have never done anything crazy like this before. I will let you all know how it turns out when i get back. Thank again to all.