Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Inboard and Malibu

BlknYlwT22

Bought a 2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX a few weeks ago. The boat was shipped at the end of last week and I received it on Sunday. Needless to say I am extremely pleased and can't wait for warmer weather in the spring. The boat has 98 hours on it, tower with speakers, Sony head unit and speakers/sub, 2 batteries, wedge, and more. This is my first inboard and Malibu and need some tips on how to use this boat to its fullest. Not too familiar with any of the systems like the ballasts and wedge. I know what they are and that they create a bigger wake but am not sure how much water should be put in the ballasts and when. Same goes for perfect pass. I'm sorry that I am a noob and if you think these questions are dumb. It'll probably end up being a situation where the more I play around with the boat the more I will understand.

CIMG0370.jpg

IMG00042-20101017-1128.jpg

IMG00043-20101017-1129.jpg

Welcome to the crew. You’re gonna love it here. My only advice…ditch the cover unless you’re going to store it inside. That thing is just going to pool with water the first time it rains. I love the yellow by the way!!! :rockon:

Welcome to the crew. You’re gonna love it here. My only advice…ditch the cover unless you’re going to store it inside. That thing is just going to pool with water the first time it rains. I love the yellow by the way!!! :rockon:

Thanks! Yea the boat is just going to be outside this week. Having all the fluids changed in the motor, tranny, and V-drive. Then it will be off to a local guys barn. Can't wait to become more familiar with the boat and enjoy it.

:welcome::cheers::werule:

Not sure I'd ditch the cover. But definitely "tent" it with some PVC supports or something. I've had pretty good success with a big inner tube too.

Also think about some way of taking care of any moisture that will build up inside the boat, ie; a fan, "Dry-Z-Air containers, etc.

:welcome::cheers::werule:

Not sure I'd ditch the cover. But definitely "tent" it with some PVC supports or something. I've had pretty good success with a big inner tube too.

Also think about some way of taking care of any moisture that will build up inside the boat, ie; a fan, "Dry-Z-Air containers, etc.

is this necessary indoors? obviously there is moisture indoors but is it enough to matter? this isn't my first boat but I definitely wanna keep this baby nice.

Welcome ! If you don't have an owner's manual, see if you can get your hands on one. There is a lot you need to know about operating and maintaining that boat that goes way beyond perfect pass and ballast.

I'm mostly a lurker her but was in the same position as you a few months ago though my Response doesn't have ballast to worries about. Your ballast level and wedge will depend mostly on skill level and personal preference, but there are guys here that will be able to give you a good starting point.

Perfect pass is great! The manual will tell you everything you need to know.

My advice is to come here any time you have a problem or question about your boat. Since I've been here I've found good information on my speedometer system, winterizing, and treating the swim platform among other things.

Welcome!

My advice is to come here any time you have a problem or question about your boat. Since I've been here I've found good information on my speedometer system, winterizing, and treating the swim platform among other things.

Welcome!

AND... when you run into something cool or helpfull post it up so we can all learn from your experiences :rockon:

:werule:

an 04 with less than 100 hours! thats nothing!

read every manual and related instructions you can get your hands on in regards to your boat, motor and perfect pass. read heaps of threads here (and if you cant find something here, its probably not worth knowing). That way you may learn 5% of what you need too. :lol:

;)

Edited by Toby

is this necessary indoors? obviously there is moisture indoors but is it enough to matter? this isn't my first boat but I definitely wanna keep this baby nice.

Yea, it depends on how dry the interior was when it was put away, and the climate. We used to have all kinds of problems with moisture in Seattle. No so much in eastern WA.

But storing in a barn, you may have problems with mice &/or cats in your boat. Duct tape the exhaust flaps shut. Throw a couple of mouse traps inside. Seems like a few guys have mentioned using Bounce dryer sheets too..... guess they don't like the smell.

Nice boat. Good choice.

Gorgeous boat looks brand new 98 hours is barely broken in. If you are going to store it in a barn definitely do something to ward of mice. Bounce dryer sheets sometimes work, but I have heard of the little guys making their nests out of these things. Moth balls are also another option but some people don't t like the smell. If you can, check it often during the off season to avoid any springtime surprises.

thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone. the boat is also going to be winterized this week so hopefully that will take care of everything mechanically before it is put away. I am definitely going to do something to ward off mice. ha you guys are scaring me a little bit. I am starting to feel like I am in over my head in the knowledge department but at least I have the entire winter to read up.

Congratulations, you now have the fever. I used all that pent up energy and excitement from buying my first Malibu to go through all the old threads on this site. It took weeks, but there is a ton of info here! You'll also run into some of the crew BS, but it's great!

Yea, it depends on how dry the interior was when it was put away, and the climate. We used to have all kinds of problems with moisture in Seattle. No so much in eastern WA.

But storing in a barn, you may have problems with mice &/or cats in your boat. Duct tape the exhaust flaps shut. Throw a couple of mouse traps inside. Seems like a few guys have mentioned using Bounce dryer sheets too..... guess they don't like the smell.

Nice boat. Good choice.

i am not a big fan of mouse traps in the boat. Seems to me the food on the mouse traps will attract mice to your boat. I had a neighbor down the street once that used to spread mouse poison around his house and then was amazed at all the mice he had around. The mice don't know it is a trap or poison, they smell food and are attracted to it.

agree, Nice boat and good choice

If you are not going to use a drying product in your boat make sure it is completely 100% dry before putting it in storage.

Congratulations, you now have the fever. I used all that pent up energy and excitement from buying my first Malibu to go through all the old threads on this site. It took weeks, but there is a ton of info here! You'll also run into some of the crew BS, but it's great!

That is an awesome idea. The amount you will learn about you boat doing so will amaze you. You'll wonder how you ever knew so little about your boat. I think back to all the more I knew about Bu's when I bought my first one and it makes me laugh. The crew certainly educated me quickly! It's an addiction.

Beautiful boat! I can't believe it has under 100 hours on it. She's brand new! You have one of the three best tower in the business on that boat! Titan Series I. Rockon.gif

As for mice, in my car and truck I use cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil (they make candy with it - our drug store and grocery store sells it). Beats the heck out of moth balls. You'll get a little trace they've been in there, but they won't hang around and build anything. The other plus is it smells way better than moth balls.

i definitely have the fever. i want to know everything about this boat. i am also a car fanatic and have been extremely active on a few car forums in the last year. the learning curve is huge. i figured why not do the same thing with this boat. i know there are plenty of things i do not know about this boat and like i said i want to be able to use the boat to its full potential.

i am not a big fan of mouse traps in the boat. Seems to me the food on the mouse traps will attract mice to your boat. I had a neighbor down the street once that used to spread mouse poison around his house and then was amazed at all the mice he had around. The mice don't know it is a trap or poison, they smell food and are attracted to it.

Guess I should have clarified..... mouse traps, but no bait. The bait definitely attracts them. But the traps will take care of them as their wandering around doing whatever they do.

Moth balls & peppermint oil is an interesting one. Maybe use that as the bait?

Sweet boat congrats! Titan tower rules!

I would add make sure to remove all items in the boat that smell, such as suntan lotion as well to avoid the smells being misconstrued as food. I would replace the impeller before I used the boat the first time. We happen to have a group buy on impellers fyi.

Sweet boat congrats! Titan tower rules!

I would add make sure to remove all items in the boat that smell, such as suntan lotion as well to avoid the smells being misconstrued as food. I would replace the impeller before I used the boat the first time. We happen to have a group buy on impellers fyi.

where can i find the group sale?

Nice boat, and welcome!!! Now get ready for a long winter. If you are like me you may do a little garage boating, have a beer or two and dream of the warm sun and water that is sure to come later! :rofl: