Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Added Support For Engine Divider Walls

Cdoogles

In a nutshell, you're not supposed to put too much ballast in the trunks because there are hard tanks underneath it. I think the sticker says no more than, what, 75lbs?

People re-enforce the engine divider walls because the sacks they put in the trunks push against the flimsy plastic wall and they pop through to go up against the hot engine exh. manifolds.

There are a TON of threads on this board about how to set up your boat (especially a 247 which, around here, is regarded as the best surfing boat) for surfing. You should look up a member named Stanley Wheelhouse and threads he has started. He has, in his opinion, the BEST surf wave you can get out a 247. Mind you, you'll have to Bust Out Another Thousand to get it.

Read this.

Welcome aboard.

Actually I think he said the best surf wave in existence somewhere, also all other waves are inferior.

• 1 year later...

This seems to be the thread for engine wall reinforcements. I thought I would add my pictures since I did things a little differently still. I used:

1"x1" by 1/16" wall aluminum

Aluminum Rivets: 3/16 x 5/8 (although I think 3/16 x 1/2 would also work)

Plastic plugs to finish off the look

Pics:

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Aluminum:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1192&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1271&top_cat=60

Plugs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QNBN0W/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

Rivets: Local hardware store

If only my sidewalls weren't so scratched up already they'd look really nice now.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I came up with. I used 1x1 angle aluminum, stainless screws and finishing washers. The frame is super stiff but honestly haven't filled up the sacs yet to test.

IMG_2607.jpg?dl=1

IMG_2605.jpg?dl=1

IMG_2608.jpg?dl=1

• 2 weeks later...

I can report the reinforcement worked great but now need to address the track the divider sits in, the two screws it was screwed in with ripped out. I plan on starting with adding a couple more screws and if necessary adding another reinforcement on the side of it.

Just simply put a piece of 1 or 2" square aluminum next to the track. Panel won't jump out of the track anymore. Don't make this harder than it is. Put maybe 4 or 5 stout stainless screws down thru the tubing next to track and behold, no track jump.

Edited by h2ojunkie
  • 6 months later...

Just simply put a piece of 1 or 2" square aluminum next to the track. Panel won't jump out of the track anymore. Don't make this harder than it is. Put maybe 4 or 5 stout stainless screws down thru the tubing next to track and behold, no track jump.

I don't follow. Anyone have a picture?

I don't follow. Anyone have a picture?

put down a piece of aluminium next to the track so that you don't have worry about the panel leaving the edge it is sitting in. make it so that it has to get over the 1" or 2" piece of aluminium that you've screwed down.

put down a piece of aluminium next to the track so that you don't have worry about the panel leaving the edge it is sitting in. make it so that it has to get over the 1" or 2" piece of aluminium that you've screwed down.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I did both. The wall support and the bottom track. with the 750 the bottom track was no issue but with the 1100 and now the enzo sac the small 1/2" plastic bottom track was not up to the task. I totally removed the plastic track and then notched or sliced a gap in the top of a 1x2 alum wide enough to get the screw heads into and wide enough to allow easy removal of the panel Works perfectly, the panel stays in place and it is not in the way for any service needs (like changing the stupid oil filter!!!!!).

We were on the water yesterday and the enzo sac is very nice no more 1,000# of lead to trailer. although I still use 200# to fine tune when we wakeboard.

You can save yourself a little trouble by replacing the plastic track with taller aluminum track. Just get enough track for both sides, drop the plastic in the aluminum track, cut to length, mark the holes, drill and viola. You may have to notch the track for the vertical supports depending on how tall the track is.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...