Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thermostat stuck in housing help

Hello everyone,

I'm in the middle of winterization. Removed thermostat housing to remove thermostat to allow antifreeze to run freely thru engine.

The problem is I cant remove the thermostat. It will rotate within the housing, but wont seem to come out. Does anyone know the trick?

Oh, it's a 1995 Merc 350 fuel injected engine.

Thanks very much in advance,

Steve B.

There is a sleeve. Seems like really hard plastic. Also, guessing that it's never been removed. I tried prying it out, but wants to crack first, so that's why I came to this AWESOME forum !

So, I have the next question, how do I get the stuck sleeve out, hopefully without breaking it, lol.

thanks again very much !

Steve B.

There is a sleeve. Seems like really hard plastic. Also, guessing that it's never been removed. I tried prying it out, but wants to crack first, so that's why I came to this AWESOME forum !

So, I have the next question, how do I get the stuck sleeve out, hopefully without breaking it, lol.

thanks again very much !

Steve B.

No problem. You might not have a square windshield, but your boat's got a Merc so I can help. Thumbup.gif

The sleeve is actually metal.

To got mine out the first time I used a large flathead screwdriver and put the tip of the screwdriver into the water passage and then pried it gently and then did the same form the other water passage until it slowly lifted out. I would hit it with some WD-40 first to help out with the corrosion resistance.

Once it is out hit it with a wire wheel or sandpaper to clean it up so it comes out easier next time.

Good luck....it will come out, just take your time.

Edited by martinarcher

I'm sure that will work, but going to let her sleep tonite. I love tinkering around like this, as long as all eventually goes as planned. I did pour a gallon straight down the entrance into the block with the housing removed, after I drained the block. :thumbup:

But I stilll want to start the engine, sucking antifreeze from a bucket, to fill the water pump, hoses, exhaiust etc.

Thanks again,

Steve B.

I'm sure that will work, but going to let her sleep tonite. I love tinkering around like this, as long as all eventually goes as planned. I did pour a gallon straight down the entrance into the block with the housing removed, after I drained the block. :thumbup:

But I stilll want to start the engine, sucking antifreeze from a bucket, to fill the water pump, hoses, exhaiust etc.

Thanks again,

Steve B.

Right on. That's exactly what I do for winterization. It's fun working on the Bu!

Right on. That's exactly what I do for winterization. It's fun working on the Bu!

It really is fun. Wish I had the cache to trick it out the way I'd like to, but, a little at a time I guess. LED's are next, but maybe a wet sand as project x.

Steve B.

It really is fun. Wish I had the cache to trick it out the way I'd like to, but, a little at a time I guess. LED's are next, but maybe a wet sand as project x.

Steve B.

Watch for an LED group buy soon! Rockon.gif

Oh yeah....and hit it with your purse. LOL.gif