Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ghost surfing the whip

k_b_stephens

Darwin award winner. At least he wore a vest.... ronflmao Should have if nothing else had the boat go in a circle....though wouldn't surprise me that someone else was there all along.

Surf wake is pathetic compare to some here on the Crew.

....though wouldn't surprise me that someone else was there all along.

I'm sure there is, you can see the wheel make a quick adjustment in the vid @ 57 seconds. Funny, clever vid though...

Edited by k_b_stephens

He sure looked like he wasn't too sure of himself when he first started.

I'm willing to bet someone was hiding under the helm while he was panning around the boat.

We should "snopes" it.

I'm sure there is, you can see the wheel make a quick adjustment in the vid @ 57 seconds. Funny, clever vid though...

Good catch it looks like more than just one little correction continues after the minute mark....total BS

If he did wreck I bet he'd sue MC and win because no sticker told him not to surf w/o a driver.....

Nice. Lots of guys callin BS on Youtube about it too.

So what if he had an extra long lanyard on the dead man switch? :crazy:

I'd actually had that thought. A person could rig something like that up I would think. Still, not the smartest thing.

The steering wheel has juuuust a little too much movement to believe.

I'd actually had that thought. A person could rig something like that up I would think. Still, not the smartest thing.

The steering wheel has juuuust a little too much movement to believe.

Yea, it does.

I've tied my steering wheel off to the seat bracket, then got the boat just up a few mph, then stepped in the back to work on the engine.... a different few times.

To check the leak rate of the prop packing.

Once to diagnose a squeal that turned out to be the Perfect Pass servo leaning on one of the pulleys.

I did it way out in the middle of the lake too. Center Hill is a huge lake. If a guy was really going to do something like that, why would he do it right by the shore??

bsflag.gif

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Yep, agreed absolute BS. He turned around so slow someone could have been walking around behind the camera as he panned from front of boat to rear. Good call on the wheel correction too.

Makes a neat, funny vid though. If it's real the good news is it's a Mastercraft. LOL.gif

My DD Sunsetter's surf wave looks way better than his. That makes me happy! Rockon.gif

Total BS I can't believe anyone would be that stupid. If it was real and he fell and the boat kept going until it hit something can you imagine trying to explain that to your insurance company?

If you were to let your steering cable 'fail' and it gets hard to turn you might be able to actually pull this off. :crazy:

I've never understood the 'cool' factor of ghost riding, but I do love the videos where people fail at it :lol:

Here's what's kind of scary: someone will see that & think "cool, I can do that too!" And they'll go out & end up running themselves over or drown (or both) or who knows what else.

Too late. The movie is already out. And it's going to get a LOT more exposure than some kid in a boat on Youtube.

There is a clip on YouTube where a footer sets up his jetski to pull him w/o a driver. Uses a long lanyard. Well, it did fail and the jet ski headed for shore and rammed a stationary pontoon boat.

If you pause the video at 34 seconds you can see the other person sitting in the front of the boat reflecting in his sungalsses

It's kind of like a 2007 Malibu for $20k. It didn't pass the sniff test.

Edited by Bu hoo

At one time, there was a "self skier" type of thing you could buy. It was a jet ski (old style) with a long handle attachment, and the handle had throttle controls. You basically help the handle, accelerated and got up on the ski(s). If you fell, the jetski stopped.

I don't know what happened to them, but maybe the "no observer" rule kicked in.

At one time, there was a "self skier" type of thing you could buy. It was a jet ski (old style) with a long handle attachment, and the handle had throttle controls. You basically help the handle, accelerated and got up on the ski(s). If you fell, the jetski stopped.

I don't know what happened to them, but maybe the "no observer" rule kicked in.

It was called the "Solo". Funny story about it......

The guy who developed it lived here in Bellevue. His investors were a lot of people from the Seattle area..... eventually people who were pretty POed at him. In fact, his old Production Supervisor was working for Bakes for a while recently.

But when he was looking for investors, he held an event at the Issaquah boat ramp on Sammamish, had a unit there for everyone to play with & check out. Mike Murphy, Gerry Nunn, and the owner of the MC dealer at the time were all there, along with a bunch of others (gotta have a crowd to show off for). Murphy SkySkied behind it, threw a bunch of back rolls, etc. Gerry was even able to do some inverts on a wakeboard behind it. When the owner of the MC dealer got behind it.... who BTW is a pretty big, stocky guy, and slalom skied on a "fat boy ski'...... he kind of paddled out a bit off the ramp, hit the throttle to get up, for some reason he hit the throttle to go forward & hard right. The Solo swung a big arch & came right back up the ramp at full throttle, flipped over & the engine wound up to like 15k RPM before someone pulled the kill switch.

Then the little flag popped up. :rofl: