Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much time to fill ballast on 2006 247 LSV

Hi,

1) How much time does it take to fill each ballast on 2006 247 LSV? I would like the different times for the 4 ballasts?

2) How much time does it take to empty each ballast on 2006 247 LSV? I would like the different times for the 4 ballasts?

Also, it was my first time checking out a ballast monitoring system and it was on a 2006 247 LSV and was not too impressed. It seemed to take way too long to fill and the monitors did not seem to work that great. I did not use a watch to measure the time but I turned on all ballasts and after around 3 minutes the front ballast still showed empty. After the other ballasts had 2 bars then the front one started to show one bar. I am wondering if there was an issue with the ballasts or is this normal operation.

How does the system work? I am sure it's not by weight and probably has 4 separate water sensors at different levels in each tank? Anyone ever had a broken system and replaced any of the sensor mechanisms in the tanks?

Do the newer boats fill/empty quicker (like a 2007)? Anyone replace the pumps with quicker pumps? It seems if you are wakeboarding with people with different skill sets it would be annoying to constantly fill and empty the ballasts to get different wakes if it takes so long to empty/fill???

Edited by JoeMama

You do know you have three different size tanks on the ballast system. The center tank is a lot bigger than the bow & locker tanks. The 750 GPH pumps on these boats were the max size at that time for a 3/4" inlet. You can count on all the boats with identical ballast systems filling and draining at about the same rates.

The tanks on the 247 are larger then any of the others, plus like Ronnie stated the front tank will take longer and I have seen that with most models. I have replaced a few of my pumps with 1100s, just not sure how it is to replace them on the 247.

As for changing ballast for different skill sets and setting up the ballast, I like to keep the front full all the time, then put people who need no ballast up at the same time, then add the rear ballast. By lowering or raising the wedge you can change the shape of the wake as well and only takes a few sec.

Hi,

1) How much time does it take to fill each ballast on 2006 247 LSV? I would like the different times for the 4 ballasts?

2) How much time does it take to empty each ballast on 2006 247 LSV? I would like the different times for the 4 ballasts?

Also, it was my first time checking out a ballast monitoring system and it was on a 2006 247 LSV and was not too impressed. It seemed to take way too long to fill and the monitors did not seem to work that great. I did not use a watch to measure the time but I turned on all ballasts and after around 3 minutes the front ballast still showed empty. After the other ballasts had 2 bars then the front one started to show one bar. I am wondering if there was an issue with the ballasts or is this normal operation.

How does the system work? I am sure it's not by weight and probably has 4 separate water sensors at different levels in each tank? Anyone ever had a broken system and replaced any of the sensor mechanisms in the tanks?

Do the newer boats fill/empty quicker (like a 2007)? Anyone replace the pumps with quicker pumps? It seems if you are wakeboarding with people with different skill sets it would be annoying to constantly fill and empty the ballasts to get different wakes if it takes so long to empty/fill???

Thanks,

The system works about as well as a fuel gauge works on any boat. That is to say, not very well. Any system on a boat that gauges the level of fluid in a tank with a sending unit like these systems do is going to have accuracy issues. Most people fill them & watch the overflow fittings to see when they're full. It's not a big deal IMO, & probably not worth the effort to try & resolve.

The specs are: 650-pound center, two 250-pound rears. Optional 350-pound bow tank.

I was referring to the front bow tank. I turned on all ballasts and after around 3 minutes the front bow ballast still showed empty (does not seem right). After the other ballasts had 2 bars then the front one started to show one bar.

Is this normal, I would assume the smaller 350lb tank should start showing a bar long before the 650lb center and 250lb rear shows 2 bars.

So is the 350lb front bow tank always the last the show bars?

When you empty the ballasts all at the sames time, I would assume some tanks empty before the others. So if you had a pre 2006 boat without a monitoring system (or even if you had a monitoring system and do not shut off any off until all are empty) , so some pumps would be running with empty ballast. Would this ruin a pump?

When you empty the ballasts all at the sames time, I would assume some tanks empty before the others. So if you had a pre 2006 boat without a monitoring system (or even if you had a monitoring system and do not shut off any off until all are empty) , so some pumps would be running with empty ballast. Would this ruin a pump?

Safe assumption & yes, it can ruin a pump. Again, if you watch the fittings to see if water is actually coming out, that's the best way. You can also hear a change in pitch when the pump is sucking air.

As far as the front ballast, did you verify by looking at the overflow fitting as to whether or not it was actually full? It's probably either a bad sending unit or bad pump, but either way it's a pretty easy fix. Stuff like this happens on these boats, it's not a big deal.

You are moving a lot of water to fill those tanks. It doesn't happen real fast. Since the center tank is the biggest during wakeboarding season we just leave the center tank half full. Then when we got to the riding area flip the switch and fill while you are getting out the ropes, wakeboards flags etc. By the time you are ready the tanks will all be full.

The other reason we left the center tank partially full was that it helps in the ride. Not so much on a 247, but on all 3 of our LSV's we would do this. It really helped keep the bow down and run through the chop.

As a newbie, on a 247 you probably won't even use the ballast the first season. The 247 puts out one of the best wakes out of any Malibu in stock setting. My nephews fly over that wake with no ballast at 22 mph and 75ft. Quite a few crew members have been behind my boat and we alternate between full wedge and no wedge. That is really the most efficient way to get people out quickly. One of my best friends Polock can do alot of tricks and some huge air with just the wedge down. The only time we have full ballast and full wedge is when we some semi pros and they needed it because they ride at 85ft and 25mph.

when I put in the 750's in the rear lockers I went to 1100 GPH pumps and they fill in an acceptable time. my 500lbs belly is runnign the stock pumps and it takes longer to fill, however I leave that one always full except when taking it out of the water.