Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization Nightmare

Pulled the sporty today for winter storage and went to change the oil as usual with the Mighty Vac. Everything done same as usual except now the small vacuum extractor tube is stuck in dipstick tube. Can't get it out. Tried twisting and pulling, no luck. Only option is to pull entire dipstick tube out but I can't get that all the way out either. Removed it about 4 inches but now the bracket hits the header. Need to remove right side exhaust manifold. What do I torque the headers to and what kind of gasket? Anything else I should know? 2001 Sporty 5.7L carb.

Thanks

Could you put a long wood type screw down the tube and twist it to get a hold of the inside of the mighty vac tube? Or, is it too far down there?

My sportster had rtv high temp sealant instead of a gasket. I have had the manifolds off & used the rtv with no gaskets. The surfaces were a little rough & I wondered if the seal would be ok but after 200 hrs , all is well. The bolts are 3/8. 35 - 40 ft-lbs will be fine. Cut some 3/8 uss bolts to use as line up studs.

If you can get a four inch gap between the pan and the dipstick tube, snap a pair of vice grips on the tube as low as you can get them (near the pan) and use that gap to pull the tube up 4 inches at a time (until you hit the dipstick tube and then re-set the vice grips onto the bottom of the tube (at the pan).

understand that i'm not panning the use of the mighty vac, i'm just trying to understand why it might be easier (at times) or more effective than dropping that rubber oil drain tube through the hull to drain the oil?

understand that i'm not panning the use of the mighty vac, i'm just trying to understand why it might be easier (at times) or more effective than dropping that rubber oil drain tube through the hull to drain the oil?

Most people claim it's faster although I can warm my engine and drain all the oil through that hose in 15-20 minutes :dontknow: Alot of people claim it still flows really slow even with the engine warm, not sure why mines different. How long does it take you?

Most people claim it's faster although I can warm my engine and drain all the oil through that hose in 15-20 minutes :dontknow: Alot of people claim it still flows really slow even with the engine warm, not sure why mines different. How long does it take you?

mine may be on the slow side but i seldom sit and watch it.

i drop the drain hose in the bucket and walk away.

thanks for the feedback, i just could not imagine that the pump method could be much easier than gravity.

i guess faster is a rational reason.

I did the same thing, i just pulled as hard i could and it eventaually came out. Dont twist it because it will make to kink weaker and could break it off.

It is faster if your changing all the fluids at one time.........like we frequently have to do when we winterize. You can have all the fluids drained really quick.

I am sure he's learned something and will build an adapter for it instead of running the tube down there.

Edited by Ruffdog

First time changing my oil was this season, glad to see this post. I also use the hose thru the bilge, and mine was VERY slow. Like, 3 beers slow (had I been drinking at the time), with a nice warm engine. There must be something gunking up the hose (after all, it's a '94).

Edited by Michigan boarder