Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ruined vinyl

malinator

First season with new boat (2005, LSV 23) I had stored the bow filler cushion under rear seat cushion and did not think anymore abot it until I recentltly took it out. I stored it upside down and enough rain over the summer had dripped onto it and totaly soaked the foam. Now the vinyl is trashed, looks like mold stains. I know everyone complains about there vinyl and I to have some minor discoloration on a section of the sun deck. Which by the way does not go away when exposed to sun for a while. Any way this cushion is now gargage, even after letting it dryout it is not cleanable and you can rub your hand over the damaged area's and feel the dameged area like its thinner as though the inside layer of vinyl has deteriorated. So bottom line is vinyl trashed from foam saoaked. Is it mold chewing away at vinyl or like many have commented about the adhesive used? The other thought is the vinyl laid on the carpet and again stayed wet alot of the time. I will have to replace the vinyl and will not store that cushion on the boat, did not use it anyway.

Has any one ever tried to dye the viny? I used a product from J.C.Whitney around 35 years ago on my first car and brushed it on on hot summer day with windows up, sure got high off it. Mayby thats why I still do stupid stuff! :innocent:

I guess you could try to color/dye the vinyl and hope the match is close but the mildew will still be there. I would expect the mildew is down in the foam as well so you won’t get rid of it by covering it up. Since you don’t use the filler cushion anyway why even bother with it.

If it's just a filler cushion that you never use, what's the big deal? If you really want it perfect again, just get a new skin and put it on there. I understand that you're bummed. I would be too.

If it's just a filler cushion that you never use, what's the big deal? If you really want it perfect again, just get a new skin and put it on there. I understand that you're bummed. I would be too.

gotta agree, just order a skin from malibu, take it to a upolstery dude and u are done......out a few clams but done....