Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difference between 2000 Wakesetter VLX and SunsetterVLX

hethj7

I thought the Sunsetter came on a diamond hull, even in 2000. But the resources section here shows both the Sunsetter VLX and the Wakesetter VLX on the wake hull. Why then did they only offer the wedge on the Sunsetter? I thought it was to compensate for the diamond hull, while at the time, it was thought the wedge wasn't needed with the Wakesetter (wake hull). Of course, this theory doesn't make sense if both were on wake hulls.

No real difference between the two with the exception that the wakesetter version at that time was more of a package than a specific model. They took a Sunsetter VLX and added a tower, wedge and front ballast (500Lbs IIRC) and now called it a wakesetter vlx instead.

In ’01 the Sunsetter Vlx was on the diamond hull standard and is the only year this was done. The wedge offers additional ballast at that time w/o taking up any floor space in or out of the storage areas. Some like the way it creates a larger rampier wake others prefer it w/o. It’s available on both the diamond or wake hulls. That’s best part to choose whether you want it or not and only takes a sec to lift up or deploy. Malibu states it adds about 1k in down force. The wedge has always been an option since ’00.

Slight correction.

My 2000 WS VLX did not come with a wedge nor was it offered from the factory as any sort of a "wakesetter package". I specifically asked dealers at boat shows why there were no wedges installed on WS for that year and was told more than once that the wedge didn't make a difference in the wake. Now that I've installed one on my boat, I agree.

Slight correction.

My 2000 WS VLX did not come with a wedge nor was it offered from the factory as any sort of a "wakesetter package". I specifically asked dealers at boat shows why there were no wedges installed on WS for that year and was told more than once that the wedge didn't make a difference in the wake. Now that I've installed one on my boat, I agree.

I can tell you that it was available when I was looking in '00. In fact it was on their website as an accessory, no it wasn't standard as part of the "wakestter" package on the website but that was the way the dealer was selling it. Albeit a poorly marketed wake enhancement device back in those days and many dealers just didn't really have a clue about it, but to say it doesn't change the wake....well I respectfully disagree. :) One of the major mistakes imho is lack of front weight to really take advantage of the wedge. There are two "fixed" wedge styles a flat and angled version. The angled version was for the non-diamond hulls while the flat was for the diamond hull. Either way today I'd get the floating wedge over the fixed as it performs better than either of the fixed versions did.

Slight correction.

I just got my boat this summer, but it is a 97 Sunsetter VLX that later had a full Wakesetter package installed (Wedge, rear and mid ballast, Titan tower, decals, PP, etc.), but so far my experience with the wedge (Manual wedge) is as follows:

It definitely makes a difference in the shape of the wake, no question about it. The wake gets much steeper when I put the wedge down. So far though, I have prefered the wake with no wedge. This is partly because I am still pretty intimidated by the wake my vlx produces with full ballasts and I don't need it to be any steeper! HAHA! The other reason I prefer to ride without the wedge currently is because it makes the boat handle like a bus on the water. I don't mind driving it so much, but when it is my turn to ride, I don't want to worry about the handling of the boat while my wife or brother-in-law is behind the wheel.

Edited by Bu hoo

clue about it, but to say it doesn't change the wake....well I respectfully disagree. :) One of the major mistakes imho is lack of front weight to really take advantage of the wedge. There are two "fixed" wedge styles a flat and angled version. The angled version was for the non-diamond hulls while the flat was for the diamond hull. Either way today I'd get the floating wedge over the fixed as it performs better than either of the fixed versions did.

I have the bent wedge. Maybe I don't have enough weight in the nose? I run 4 pop bags all the way forward in the bow, ski locker bag, and a ton of beer ballast in the trunks.

The other reason I prefer to ride without the wedge currently is because it makes the boat handle like a bus on the water. I don't mind driving it so much, but when it is my turn to ride, I don't want to worry about the handling of the boat while my wife or brother-in-law is behind the wheel.

I have some friends that aren't on TMC and they don't run the wedge because they don't like what it does to the wake. They prefer ballast only.

Totally agree on the horrible handling of the boat with wedge down. It's rare that I even use it.

I am willing to put on a stainless floating wedge because I've heard that it really helps the wake. ** cough, cough, group buy **

FWIW, in the specs page here, I downloaded the 2000 brochure and it shows the wedge as N/A on the Wakesetter VLX and Sunsetter VLX, but as an option on the Sunsetter.

I like the wedge, or at least I like the wedge on my buddy's 247RX. I've never been in another boat with one, so I can't say what it would or wouldn't do on a VLX.

Slight correction.

I too would have to disagree with this statement. On our boat, 2001 Sunsetter VLX it makes a huge difference in the shape of the wake, and seems to be a bit bigger also. We also have weight in the front with, the integrated bow bag and ski locker bag. We primarily knee board and my son is quit good, im not, but we both prefer to ride with the wedge down, he rides full rear, front, and center ballast and wedge, I prefer just the wedge down and no ballast, it gives the wake a much steeper ramp with a nice lip on it, even with or without weight in the boat. Our wedge is the fixed straight version.

Edited by mainekneeboarder