Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear lockers on 2006 23 LSV

wakeboarder3780

Can someone talk to me about the 75 lb limit in the rear lockers of the 2006 23 LSV (v-drive)? I was a bit saddened by this as I was planning on putting some supplemental weight back there if the wake wasn't beefy enough for me. After standing in the area and working on the engine I can tell that it definitely supports my 200 lb katush, but the floor definitely feels faux.

I've heard a couple different things:

A) The gas tank is under there! Be careful not to crush it!

B) The ballast tanks are under there! Be careful not to crush it!

C) I run a 750LB sac back there with no trouble at all.

D) I run an 1100 lb sac back there but had to reinforce the engine separator wall

I'd like to know a couple things:

1) What's really under there?

2) Has anyone here reinforced the floor and if so how (materials / design)?

3) Is there a brand / model of sac that everyone gets that fits in there nicely? I just keep hearing "the 750lb bag"

Whoa, you stood in there? You put a 750lb sac in there all the time? Have you ever been to a dealership or the factory? They look like a scene from Charlie and the Chocolate factory, a bunch of midget oompa loompa's working on boats. :crazy:

I just think it's malibu's way of CYA.

Can someone talk to me about the 75 lb limit in the rear lockers of the 2006 23 LSV (v-drive)? I was a bit saddened by this as I was planning on putting some supplemental weight back there if the wake wasn't beefy enough for me. After standing in the area and working on the engine I can tell that it definitely supports my 200 lb katush, but the floor definitely feels faux.

I've heard a couple different things:

A) The gas tank is under there! Be careful not to crush it!

B) The ballast tanks are under there! Be careful not to crush it!

C) I run a 750LB sac back there with no trouble at all.

D) I run an 1100 lb sac back there but had to reinforce the engine separator wall

I'd like to know a couple things:

1) What's really under there?Ballast tanks and you won't crush them

2) Has anyone here reinforced the floor and if so how (materials / design)?Put a piece of birch or marine plywood if you feel so inclined to do so

3) Is there a brand / model of sac that everyone gets that fits in there nicely? I just keep hearing "the 750lb bag"

The 750 fits good, but the 1100 fits better because it's taller. Yes the wall will blow out due to the side force of the bag so some people re-inforce that wall to keep it off the engine.

I use the 1100 and have had no troubles. I did reinforce (like 06vlx mentions) the side wall to the engine compartment with some square steel tubing 2 pieces that run the full height of the wall, but other than that, nothing else. My table is stored back in the hatch as well and I do end up having to move that around when using the bag but that's just a minor annoyance.

Edited by jeremyk

jeremyk- I have the 750 now and I want to go to the 1100. Do you have any photos of the supports you installed? I assume they are removable we surf the dark side and thats where the oil filter is on the HH so I need the access.

I don't have any photos with me and unfortunately the boat is stored for the winter. But I did a quick sketch up of what the install looks like. The supports are removable but I never take them off as when I need to access the engine compartment, i just remove the panel and they come off at the same time since they are attached. And the thickness really doesn't affect anything since it is so minimal but with the HH, YMMV. Note: I did this on both walls so that I was prepared when I switch my bag around for others.

5082266218_79431cceea_o.png

OK I see you put the supports on the bag side of the panel. I was thinking they were on the inside connected to the frame. So did you use a 1/2 x 1/2 sq tubing?

I actually put the supports on the engine side of the panel. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Oh so they do not attach to anything? Do they just keep the panels from bowing? I was going to notch the top to fit between the panel and the top and bottom support for strength. Do you think that is necessary or will the 1100 # bag stay confined with just the supports on the panel itself?

Oh so they do not attach to anything? Do they just keep the panels from bowing? I was going to notch the top to fit between the panel and the top and bottom support for strength. Do you think that is necessary or will the 1100 # bag stay confined with just the supports on the panel itself?

Right. They only attach to the panels themselves and not the engine box frame. Having the 1100 pound bag full, it keeps the panel from bowing in at all. I was initially worried about it not vein enough but after a season of use it has held up fine and kept the bag in place. And to give credit where credit is due, I got this idea from 06vlx as it works for him as well.

Here is the concept in action. This is what I did to mine. The real credit goes to liljohn with the original original idea. Heck I even got the material from him.

P3051126.jpg

P3051127.jpg

P3051129.jpg

P3051130.jpg

Edited by 06vlx

Very nice thanks for the photos, I have my project for tomorrow and then a Saturday test. its funny because for kicks we put a 900 # sumo sac in there and I did not think about it until it was time to switch sides and the whole panel was pushed in. This looks like a better and perminate soulation.

Then I too need to reroute the drain and vent hoses to the opposite side to prevent the draining. I tried to install inline 12v valves which work but they slow down the flow so much it takes forever to drain the bags to switch sides.

So I've heard from everyone that put 700's in the back that they wished they put the 1100s in the back. I'm assuming this is only from a surfing perspective. I can say I'll probably eventually get a wake surf board and give it a shot, but I'm really coming at it more from a wakeboarding perspective. And something tells me dual 1100,s plus the MLS weight is going to be *way* too much for the boat. (we're talking 3450 lbs).

Can someone please verify that you don't fill dual 1100's in the back for wakeboarding? Something tells me that would be far too much weight. I'm thinking the 750 would be fine for me. Maybe does someone have surf pics of the 750 compared to the 1100? How about wakeboarding shots of dual 750's?

Also, thanks for the pic of the reinforced side walls - very helpful. Is the square tubing tapered at the top to allow easier sliding or is that just the angle of the pic that makes it look that way?

Edited by wakeboarder3780

So I've heard from everyone that put 700's in the back that they wished they put the 1100s in the back. I'm assuming this is only from a surfing perspective. I can say I'll probably eventually get a wake surf board and give it a shot, but I'm really coming at it more from a wakeboarding perspective. And something tells me dual 1100,s plus the MLS weight is going to be *way* too much for the boat. (we're talking 3450 lbs).

Can someone please verify that you don't fill dual 1100's in the back for wakeboarding? Something tells me that would be far too much weight. I'm thinking the 750 would be fine for me. Maybe does someone have surf pics of the 750 compared to the 1100?

Also, thanks for the pic of the reinforced side walls - very helpful. Is the square tubing tapered at the top to allow easier sliding or is that just the angle of the pic that makes it look that way?

No one said you have to fill them all the way up and since you might get into surfing later you might as well do it now. Both sized sacs are geared for surfing, even the 750 is a little overkill for boarding.

Can someone please verify that you don't fill dual 1100's in the back for wakeboarding? Something tells me that would be far too much weight. I'm thinking the 750 would be fine for me. Maybe does someone have surf pics of the 750 compared to the 1100? How about wakeboarding shots of dual 750's?

If you are talking about wakeboarding I would just do two fly high 400's, one in each rear locker they are perfect for wakeboarding. If you want to surf you can just stack the 400's ontop of eachother when filled in either rear locker. I did that the whole time I had my vlx.

Edited by 06vlx

If you are talking about wakeboarding I would just do two fly high 400's, one in each rear locker they are perfect for wakeboarding. If you want to surf you can just stack the 400's ontop of eachother when filled in either rear locker. I did that the whole time I had my vlx.

That's what I have. Care to explain more on how you did this?

That's what I have. Care to explain more on how you did this?

How I stacked them full? I just filled one up, then set the other empty one ontop of it and filled it up. I made it lean towards the hull and not the engine compartment. I was able to completely fill both 400's stacked in my vlx. They were not plumbed in.

How I stacked them full? I just filled one up, then set the other empty one ontop of it and filled it up. I made it lean towards the hull and not the engine compartment. I was able to completely fill both 400's stacked in my vlx. They were not plumbed in.

What !!! 06 had to manually fill sacs..?? :biggrin: That's the kicker for me, the weight of the top bag would probably push the water out the vent and/or past the drain pump. I haven't thought about or figured out a solution yet.

What !!! 06 had to manually fill sacs..?? :biggrin: That's the kicker for me, the weight of the top bag would probably push the water out the vent and/or past the drain pump. I haven't thought about or figured out a solution yet.

Yeah it drove me crazy and to come up with the system I have now and drop all that coin on a custom sac. Must make your lines longer and manually fill the bottom sac and automatically fill the top sac after you have the bottom sac filled. Where there is a will there is a way.

Yeah it drove me crazy and to come up with the system I have now and drop all that coin on a custom sac. Must make your lines longer and manually fill the bottom sac and automatically fill the top sac after you have the bottom sac filled. Where there is a will there is a way.

Not too difficult, I would only need to extend my drain hose, the rest have plenty of length. Thanks for figuring that out for me :biggrin: