Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim deck won't come off

Hey all,

Looking for suggestions on how to remove the swim deck on our '00 SLXi. One side slides freely after removing the retaining clips but the other side is frozen in place. Mad.gif We have the mounting style where the deck slides away to the rear of the boat.

I tried to break it free with a couple of sharp mallet blows to a wood block braced in the underside of the platform but no movement. I don't want to pry against the transom if I can avoid it.

Next steps I've thought of are WD40 in the sleeve to try and loosen things up. Another thought is to take a piece of plywood and a wonder bar, put the plywood against the transom (with a soft pad) and then pry against the plywood (to avoid touching the gelcoat).

Another thought is to simply disassemble the platform where it is now (I'm getting ready to re-finish it anyway) and then work on the sticky support without the platform in the way.

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. I'm not going to wait too long though because I want the deck to be ready for the good weather that's coming next week!

Definitely soak it with some type of penetrating fluid. Those mounts are real picky about not being taken off square. So you may end up dismantling the platform if it is still being awkward.

FWIW I grease my mounts every year. I never have any problems removing the platform because of it.

12 screws removed and the swim deck is off. Sprayed WD40 on the mounts and will wait till tomorrow and try again. My guess is the platform has never been off the boat so it may take a few tries.

Thanks for the tip on the grease. Will definitely try that when I get ready to put everything back on.

I had those on my lxi, they were a pain. You can also try some grease remover on them, as they may have been greased when new and it is binding up now.

It's also easier with two people if it's really hard to get off. That way, it will be even as you lift it up.

I always had to use two people, but since I greased the mounts I just open the wedge hatch and lift straight up from the middle of the platform. It works pretty good.

It's also easier with two people if it's really hard to get off. That way, it will be even as you lift it up.

I always had to use two people, but since I greased the mounts I just open the wedge hatch and lift straight up from the middle of the platform. It works pretty good.

I think that must be a different platform mount. Our SLXi pulls straight back. Probably due to the overhang of the trunk. Either that or I'm REALLY doing something wrong. Shocking.gif

The mounts on a slxi (99-04) are difefrent than all the other boats in that the hull is shorter than the waterline. so the platform pulls straight back as opposed to up.

Sometimes it helps to get teh platform real wet (especially near the mounts) for 2 reasons, first, the wood will expnad ever so slightly which may remove the bind and 2, it sill soften the wood up in case some brute force is necessary

I believe they changed the mount.  Also, how is your refinishing going?

Got started on the refinishing today and discovered that somewhere along the line some sort of varnish or other similar type of finish had been used. Mad.gif So, had to stop with the TeakGuard prep until I get the some varnish remover. I'm going to give Marty @ TeakGuard a call to get their recommendation on a remover and then I'll be back on track.

I'm also adding a transom saver kit at the same time and it prepped up great using the TeakGuard cleaner.

Another project that is taking longer than planned... Shocking.gif

That stinks! I have seen people use cetol on their platform adn while it looks good for a year it seems like it begins to peal and has to be removed and redone. Much more of a pain than some teak oil.

Does the bracket look like this? (for reference for others..)

I've never seen that style of bracket before. What boat is that off of?

LOL- that is my boat '02WSLSV. In that year, there is a step in the hull, so the actual running surface is shortened. I'm not real happy with the braket (but what'dya gunna do).

Edited by SacRiverRat
Does the bracket look like this? (for reference for others..)

I've never seen that style of bracket before. What boat is that off of?

LOL- that is my boat '02WSLSV. In that year, there is a step in the hull, so the actual running surface is shortened. I'm not real happy with the braket (but what'dya gunna do).

I had the same brackets on my '99 SLXI and never had a problem. Though I greased them every time I took it off. Usually a couple times a year.

Oh, I forgot. I did oversize the retainer pin holes a bit. Making replacing the pins much easier.

Edited by Faceplant409

I have the same platform. As some here have eluded too, you really need to pull this STRAIGHT off. Any binding will cause it to stick and no amout of pressure will get it off. One person is hard to do, but it can be done. Two is better. Just ease it off slowly, very straight and wiggle just a little if needed, but do not force it, that will not work. A little WD40 first may help.

Edited by summerfun
summerfun Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

As some here have eluded too, you really need to pull this STRAIGHT off. Any binding will cause it to stick and no amout of pressure will get it off. One person is hard to do, but it can be done. Two is better. Just ease it off slowly, very straight and wiggle just a little if needed, but do not force it, that will not work. A little WD40 first may help.

Summerfun, and others, are spot on! Assuming you get the brackets to slide off the boat, consider cleaning the attachment points with some steel wool and applying a little grease before sliding the platfom back in place.

On the topic of "grease". I suggest Bo-Shield T9 instead. This is a lubricant made by Boeing Aircraft for keeping mechanical parts free of rust. It is wax-based. Brought to my attention over a year ago by a fellow (or gal) MBO member.

It is fantastic stuff. A little squirt into my sticking swivel-head pylon... and voila, spins like a top.

I use on my swim brackets.

I also use as a light spray on the engine in the fall. No WD-40 for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the help. I ended up having to unbolt the bracket mounting plate on the port side. After I got the mounting plate off the bracket I found that the hanger was bent and that was what caused it to bind.

Luckily my Dad has a press in his shop and we were able to straighten it out. The bracket now slides on and off easily (as it was meant to!). Clap.gif

My guess is that it got bent the last time it was removed. The owner probably wondered why it was so hard to get back on...

My guess is that it got bent the last time it was removed. The owner probably wondered why it was so hard to get back on...

There are always consequences for one actions.

It seems you were on the wrong end of this one.

At lease it was an easy fix.