Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck T-Handle Bilge Drain

CrystalSurf

Do most people's T-handle bilge drains open fairly easily? After draining all the hoses for winterization, I went to open the bilge drain and it wouldn't budge...yes, I even tried hitting it with my purse. Actually, i put a wrench on the nut at the bottom of the t-handle and it was so stuck that it started to round off. So, i ended up mopping up 30 litres of dirty bilge water by hand. (The 30 litres didn't come from the hoses...the boat had been sitting in the water). Needless to say, I don't want to repeat that next fall. Should I just use some PB Blaster on the drain? After I get it open, do I need to coat it in any kind of pipe sealant so it doesn't leak.

Do most people's T-handle bilge drains open fairly easily? After draining all the hoses for winterization, I went to open the bilge drain and it wouldn't budge...yes, I even tried hitting it with my purse. Actually, i put a wrench on the nut at the bottom of the t-handle and it was so stuck that it started to round off. So, i ended up mopping up 30 litres of dirty bilge water by hand. (The 30 litres didn't come from the hoses...the boat had been sitting in the water). Needless to say, I don't want to repeat that next fall. Should I just use some PB Blaster on the drain? After I get it open, do I need to coat it in any kind of pipe sealant so it doesn't leak.

:rofl: That got a lunchtime chuckle!

Yes soak it with PB and give it a day. Good luck!

Edited by Shine

I just love these threads, and the same responses are funny every time.

Try a bigger purse, take your skirt off, or ask your husband to help.

PB Blaster is some pretty nasty stuff, I certainly wouldn't spray liberal amounts in my bilge, the o-ring will probably stop most of it from penetrating anyways. Rust really shouldn't be an issue since it's bronze. Can you get a smaller pipe wrench on it?

Mine comes out easy, but I also pull it every time out... You could always pull the transom plug and find a steep hill to drive up.

As for getting it out, maybe try a big crescent or pipe wrench on the T part of the handle.

Those things can get stuck, I've broken a few of the handles getting them out.

A pair of vice grips will help, some PB for sure.

good chance you may need a new plug once you're done.

It was a fairly tight wrench that I had on it. I didn't try an adjustable because i don't think it would have gotten tighter. After it started to round off a bit, I gave up on trying to open it. I didn't want to damage it...and I thought that I could quickly mop up the water. I really didn't realize how much water the bilge would hold. I even put on the bilge pump when I was on the launch ramp after talking the boat out. This is my first season with the boat. The prior owner told me he never used the T-handle drain.

I have the same boat ... same year and no problems here. Are you the original owner? Wondering if someone put on the wrong kind of loctite.

PB Blaster from underneath the boat might not be a bad idea too.

I broke off a T-handle one time trying to get one out. It was easy then, I just used a deep socket on the hex part of the plug. It was still pretty tight. I was thinking that the fiberglass might give way before it came out!! Picked up a new one next time I was at the dealer.

It was a fairly tight wrench that I had on it. I didn't try an adjustable because i don't think it would have gotten tighter. After it started to round off a bit, I gave up on trying to open it. I didn't want to damage it...and I thought that I could quickly mop up the water. I really didn't realize how much water the bilge would hold. I even put on the bilge pump when I was on the launch ramp after talking the boat out. This is my first season with the boat. The prior owner told me he never used the T-handle drain.

Take a crescent wrench and use it on the t portion of the handle. That should do it, If it breaks you can then use a 6 point wrench on it since it will fit through the stem, I found the nut part to be an odd size try some of your metric ones to see if they fit better. the replacements are pretty cheap

Edited by rjgogo

Take a crescent wrench and use it on the t portion of the handle. That should do it, If it breaks you can then use a 6 point wrench on it since it will fit through the stem, I found the nut part to be an odd size try some of your metric ones to see if they fit better. the replacements are pretty cheap

This is what i did when i had the same problem. It worked.

Srpray from the top and the bottom, and then use vice grips on the square portion.

And then, as others stated, some sort of lubricant on it when you replace it and then remove it at least once a season.

I used the singular crescent before and it bent it like H%^&. Take 2 wrenches, on on each side of the T, and hold the wrenches together as you turn. That has never failed me. I see no reason why not to use pb blaster. I lube my plug with a little motor oil...works fine.

I lube my plug with a little motor oil...works fine.

ahhhh anyone else think this is to much info......................... sorry

• 2 weeks later...

I can empathize with you. I just bought a new-to-me boat as well and one of the t-handles was on so hard I didn't think i was going to get it off without tools. Luckily with my last ounce of strength it let go, but I was just about to pop my forehead veins ;)

I think this happens when prior owners tighten it down super hard but then don't remove it - ever. I personally pull t-plugs and rear plugs after every adventure out. When next season begins I plan on doing as others have mentioned a few wraps of teflon tape and tightening it "finger tight" ONLY.

............ a few wraps of teflon tape and tightening it "finger tight" ONLY.

I've been doing this with my knock sensor too. Really helps this time of year when you "winterize" after every outing.