Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you upgrade to 2002 seating?

cutlass

I think more detail is needed. Is the 02 seating arrangement different than the 01? I guess “why†would be the main question. If the 02 seating is what you really want why not shop for an 02. I assume you’re in the market to buy since you have a Sea Ray listed as your current boat. :dontknow:

The only difference is that little seat behind the driver IIRC.

You should be able to fab up a seat base and have a local upholstery shop make a cushion for you. You could even steal some carpet from up in the gunnels to finish the side of the seat bases.

Some people like having that extra floor space for a larger cooler, so maybe if you buy the boat you'd find that little extra seat wasn't really necessary.

-Chris

The only difference is that little seat behind the driver IIRC.

You should be able to fab up a seat base and have a local upholstery shop make a cushion for you. You could even steal some carpet from up in the gunnels to finish the side of the seat bases.

Some people like having that extra floor space for a larger cooler, so maybe if you buy the boat you'd find that little extra seat wasn't really necessary.

-Chris

Could always put a cussion on the big cooler.

would cost less too and be removable for cleaning and pre/post flight duties

I have found a nice 2001 Wakesetter.

Just thought I would see how hard it would be to add the extra seat behind the driver.

I think I will try the cooler with a cushion idea first.

Thanks.

When we had our 01 VLX we used a cooler with a seat cushion. You can get cushions with snap kits designed for just this puprose from the online boat supply shops. The only downside we noticed was, if your cooler has a drain plug, there may be some leakage onto the floor. I would recommend using a cooler with no drain plug if you can find one.

Just thought I would see how hard it would be to add the extra seat behind the driver.

Thanks.

consider tying that cooler down?

in the bs days (before shower) we would half fill a cooler w hot water to warm frozen feet.

kept in the rear of the passenger area it would slide from side to side when flipping boat direction.

it may not have as much tendency to travel if it is nearer the middle of the boat but if it does wander it puts your interior at risk.

Thanks.

I was just at West Marine a few days ago. They had 2 or 3 different sizes of Igloo coolers, with the snap on cushion, on sale on the shelves. I think you could start with that, make sure it works in the boat, then have the cushion upholstered to match the boat interior. :rockon:

We use semi matching (colors go well with the interior) ice chest in our 01 and it works great...

I have not found the need for the extra seat as there seems to be plenty of people space with the open bow and the wrap around rear seating?

I'm pretty sure someone on here did this mod a while ago and posted it.

It'd be really hard to search for it and find that thread now. I'm talking it was like 3 yrs. ago IIRC.