Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SSP plate for Response LXI

FarmerZ

I just bought a 2008 Response LXI with a wedge, but don't wakeboard at all. No interest currently. What does the Scarpa Suppression Plate do, and is it worth it? Anyone?

I just bought a 2008 Response LXI with a wedge, but don't wakeboard at all. No interest currently. What does the Scarpa Suppression Plate do, and is it worth it? Anyone?

What do you want it for? If your looking to improve the barefoot wake, the plate won't even help that boat.

What do you want it for? If your looking to improve the barefoot wake, the plate won't even help that boat.

The SSP is used to flatten out the wake for barefooting. It will most certinly make a difference on the response for long line barefooting. It mounts to the same plate that the wedge uses. If you do a lot or footing, esp long line then this would be a good addition.

If you want to get rid of your wedge, let mw know as I would gladly take it off your hands.

The SSP plate is for footing and is very adjustable to tune the wake. If interested in footing, I would talk to Ron Scarpa about the plate and adjusting it. There is some info on it on the Scarpa website.

The SSP is used to flatten out the wake for barefooting. It will most certinly make a difference on the response for long line barefooting. It mounts to the same plate that the wedge uses. If you do a lot or footing, esp long line then this would be a good addition.

If you want to get rid of your wedge, let mw know as I would gladly take it off your hands.

I'll keep the wedge for now, but the way it's mounted on the boat, it won't even go down all the way. I don't barefoot, but have a buddy who does. So you take off the wedge and throw on the SSP on the existing mount? Does it do anything to the slalom wake?

Z

Can't comment on the effect is has on the slalom wake of your 08, but my buddy has one on his 05 Response...and it is a detriment to what would otherwise be a great slalom wake. While it helps the table for footing, it also does something to the wakes...hardens and/or makes them crest differently....which is not so good for slalom.

Hopefully someone will chime in w/ first hand knowledge. The consensus shown here in older threads is that the 03-06 Rlxi is generally thought to be a respectable barefoot boat. The 07- present....not so much.

Your correct about it flattening the wake. How ever on the 07 and new Malibu's it does not help I'm sad to say. With the hull design it does not have a very good wake.

Yes it does make a difference,it depends on how you have it dialed in ,many bare footers, in tournaments have gone behind mine and they say its the best ever.

I emailed Scarpa and Paul said they have some on order and are $350. We never wakeboard and sometimes barefoot, so I don't see how I can go wrong. What do you think about the post that said it messes up the slalom wake?

z

I cannot make a comment about the SSP on the 07+ RLXI, but I did use one on our old boat a 2002 Sunsetter. My experience is also focused on the slalom wake, we do not barefoot (yet).

First there are 2 different SSP designs. They both bolt to the wedge bracket, so you remove the swinging part of the wedge and replace it with the SSP. One is designed for the older fixed wedge bracket and the other is for the new floating wedge bracket. I still have the old style one sitting on a shelf. It is too narrow for the floating wedge bracket and the holes are not in the correct position.

The experience I had on the 2002 Sunsetter was that it did flatten out the middle of the wakes. Prior to the SSP, and when i was skiing a full length rope and 15 off, the wakes had what I would call a double bump. You would bounce up then down over each crest. With the SSP the wakes did get a bit smaller but became harder. Also the double bump went away. Instead, you felt a bump up when you hit the first wake, then a bump down exiting the second wake. I did try 22 off with and with out the SSP back then and the SSP made 22 off pretty nasty. The rooster tail came up right at 22 off and was HARD! I pulled the plate off and the 22 off bump softened quite a bit, but I went back to 15 off. As a side benifit as you slowed the boat down it didn't seem to make the wakes grow as much. They used to get pretty bad below 30 MPH as you progressed to 25 MPH. The SSP seemed to buy me another 2 MPH before they really started to kick up. So we could run a little slower and still have a fairly flat wake.

I'm not sure if the RLXI (any of the generations) will have the same results as I experienced with the Sunsetter. I never played with the adjustments on the old SSP too much. I followed what Ron Scarpa suggested and left it there. With the mixed experience from the Sunsetter and the improvement of moving to a new hull design I didn't see the need for a SSP on the newer RLXIs.

Edited by Wayne
  • 2 weeks later...

Farmer -- I had a SSP on my 2003 Response LXi for a while to try to experiment with my slalom wake. The actual height of the wake was cut in about half at 15 and 22 off 32mph and not quite half at 28 off - at 34 mph the height was reduced some but not to the extent at 32 mph. The width of the table (distance from the left side of the wake to the right side) was slightly wider - maybe a foot or two. The issue was that the hardness of the wake increased exponentially. Where the ski would cut thru the wake on a crossing in stock form, with the SSP it felt like you were hitting a concrete block -- well not that bad, but you get the idea.

I don't know how the SSP will react with your hull design vs. mine, but my neighbors 2008 LXi highly benefitted from a change in propeller to get a better slalom wake. I'd maybe consider doing that with the cash instead.

As skislut just eluded to, along with previous posters, the 2007-up RLXi does not benefit _at all_ from the addition of a SSP. The SSP was designed, tested and proven on the Response hull (not the RLXi) and worked very well for barefooting. With the addition of the 2003-2006 Response LXi to the model line, created directly off the Response diamond hull design, the SSP worked on that boat as well. But keep in mind, it's for barefooting. I typically don't recommend adding it for slalom on any model.

But, as we need to remember, the 2007-up Response LXi is really not even in the same family as the other models with "Response" in their name. Complete new hull, new top deck, new running attitude, new wake.....it's a completely different boat. The SSP is detrimental to the wake on a 2007-2011 Response LXi.

Hope that helps -

Peter