Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Wakesetter serial number

cutlass

Yes for example. Keep in mind there isn't any info in the serial number to indicate which hull it is.

To decipher the vin:

MB2K1234F010

MB2= Malibu

K= Boat model (in this case a VLX)

1234= actual boat number

F= Month of manufacture

0= year of manufacture

10= model year of boat

Some of the more common models -

A = vRide

B = SLXi

D = Wakesetter or iRide

E/F = Sportsters

G = Sunscape 23

H = Sunsetter or Sunscape 25

J = Sunscape 247

K = WVLX

P = RLXi

S = W23LSV

U = Response

W = W247

Y = RLX

Just trying to make sure the boat I am buying is a Wakesetter hull.

After posting this I saw a post where WakeGirl stated that all 2001 VLX hulls are the diamond hull.

Is this true?

Edited by cutlass

That's the post I saw.

Are all 2001 VLX boats on the Diamond hull?

Somone correct me if I am wrong, but the answer is no. Not ALL 2001 VLX boats are on Diamond hulls, the Wake hull was still available that year.

I believe the Sunsetter VLX came standard with the SV23 Diamond hull and the Wakesetter VLX came standard with the SV23 Wake hull.

Check here

If you don't have access to the boat to check the hull out visually, then you can call Malibu with the serial number and ask them which hull is on the boat.

Edited by Bu hoo

That's the post I saw.

Are all 2001 VLX boats on the Diamond hull?

Somone correct me if I am wrong, but the answer is no. Not ALL 2001 VLX boats are on Diamond hulls, the Wake hull was still available that year.

I believe the Sunsetter VLX came standard with the SV23 Diamond hull and the Wakesetter VLX came standard with the SV23 Wake hull.

Check here

If you don't have access to the boat to check the hull out visually, then you can call Malibu with the serial number and ask them which hull is on the boat.

If you can't physically see the boat then you are on the right track by deciphering the serial number.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago...

The boat is a 2001 Wakesetter VLX, not Sunsetter, I have the original invoice. I believe it is a Sunsetter with the Wakesetter package.

The HIN starts with MB2K. It had the wakesetter decals, titan 1 tower, and ballast in ski locker from the factory. I did verify it has the SV23 Wake hull via the Diamond vs. Wake Hull article. The only thing that is strange, the capacity sticker says Sunsetter, but I have read somewhere that was normal for that sticker to say Sunsetter instead of Wakesetter in 2001.

The factory does have the hull info referenced to your HIN. I called to get the part number for my windshield-They are very helpful.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ride_everyday

the capacity sticker says Sunsetter, but I have read somewhere that was normal for that sticker to say Sunsetter instead of Wakesetter in 2001.

I think that's pretty normal. My 2000 WS VLX has it listed as a "Sunsetter VLX" on the USCG plate.

I think all wake setters were just an upgrade from the Sunsetter. ie. ballast system, tower, graphics.

I get to pick up my new to me boat this weekend from a fellow board member.

I will know then one way or another.

It will be nice to finally have a boat that will fit my neads and not be low on power like my old Sea Ray was (4.3L, 2 barrel).

Lots of good information here.

I am sure I will have more questions and maybe help others along the way.

• 5 months later...

I notice "Z" was not inlcuded here..i am looking to verify my 1997 Sunsetter. would you have any input?

My 98 Sunsetter VLX has the "Z" character in the HIN as well.

• 1 month later...

Some of the more common models -

A = vRide

B = SLXi

D = Wakesetter or iRide

E/F = Sportsters

G = Sunscape 23

H = Sunsetter or Sunscape 25

J = Sunscape 247

K = WVLX

P = RLXi

S = W23LSV

U = Response

W = W247

Y = RLX

My boats 4th is "S" but the plate says escape. I was told when I bought it that it is a 2002 wakesetter lsv, so what do I have?

My boats 4th is "S" but the plate says escape. I was told when I bought it that it is a 2002 wakesetter lsv, so what do I have?

As I mention in my PM and the other thread about which model do I have, the boat you have is a wakesetter if you have the "wakesetter" package. If not then it's a Sunscape LSV same boat.