Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Frustrated

Huelsmma

Ok...have an 05 vride. Seldom do we have more than 3-4 people in the boat. Have the mls (2 rear 250lbs hard tanks and center 400lbs, wedge). Im pretty sure need to add something to the front...but we're only running 55' rope bc anything after that is washed out and soft. We're not very good (we're decent) but but when we have our buddies out who r and they want long line we'r screwed.

Ok...have an 05 vride. Seldom do we have more than 3-4 people in the boat. Have the mls (2 rear 250lbs hard tanks and center 400lbs, wedge). Im pretty sure need to add something to the front...but we're only running 55' rope bc anything after that is washed out and soft. We're not very good (we're decent) but but when we have our buddies out who r and they want long line we'r screwed.

Run some weight in the bow it will clean up the wake and make it firmer.

put a 400 in the bow and it's hella firm.

No making fun of the rider (it's me), but this is @ 70' with 3 people in the boat, mid mls full and a 400 in the bow. Speed 22.4. Rears are empty.

EDIT: with the wedge down it will also make it way "lippier" and boots you more straight up. I don't like that because I'm still working on my toeside and I flail with the wedge down.

5062510477_71fc973c29_b.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy

We have the same boat and run no weight in the front without any issues. We have 750lbs sacs in each locker (removed the hard tanks) filled about halfway for wakeboarding, center ballast, and wedge. With that setup we wakeboard anywhere from 55' at 20-21mph to 75' at 22-23mph with a good wake. Biggest factor for us in terms of a 'washed out' wake is placement of people in the boat. The people have to be equally on each side otherwise the wake can easily get washed out. Even just one person more on a side can have an effect.

I have the same boat too. And I run the ballast tanks full, no wedge at all. And get a good wake from it. And I'm on like 85' of rope.

I've been playing with bow ballast in this boat too. I have about 320 lbs of lead (tire scrap in Pop bags). We aren't a big fan of having it all in the bow as the boat gets a little tricky to handle going over wakes at slow speed. But 240 lbs in front, and 40 on each side in the rear seems to be pretty good.

Move your people around to see where you need weight. It is easier to tell your frineds to move from side to side or to the bow than it is to fill and drain bags.

Thanks for all the feedback. Just sux when we only have the driver and one spotter who is a female in the boat. May just fill port side ballast and leave other empty.

Buy a longer line.

Thanks for all the feedback. Just sux when we only have the driver and one spotter who is a female in the boat. May just fill port side ballast and leave other empty.

how fast are you going?

We have an 80' ft line...but the wake is only clean up until 55'. Right around 21.5-23mph Ill play with it more this weekend and adjust the speed. Now weve been filling all 3 tanks too so maybe just the center for now and go from there. Will be adding ballast soon to the front but spent all our money on stereo stuff this last month.

At 23 mph with all 3 tanks full and wedge down you should have a clean wake at 70' back. I have the same boat and run with all 3 tanks full and wedge down. No weight in the bow. I run at 23 mph and 70' of line and the wake is clean and rampy. I do have 750s in the back instead of the hard tanks, but I only fill them about 1/2 way for wakeboarding, which would equal about 350 lbs each. But, even when I had the stock hard tanks, I would just run them all full and wedge down and have no issues with washed out wake.

I would check your speed to see that you're actually going 23 mph, and play with the weight distribution. If you only have one female spotter and she weighs 100 lbs less than you, then put 100 lbs less in the tank on the driver's side to even out the weight. If that still doesn't help, try speeding up a little bit. I would almost guarantee that speed is your problem here.

I have an '05 vRide too, and my setup for wakeboarding is full stock MLS (midship and rear), 350lbs in each rear locker, and between 500-800lbs in the nose. Because I frequently ride with just one other person, I stash another 150lbs in two waterbed tubes under the passenger seat ski locker. We ride between 22.5 - 24.2 mph, rope length 65' to 75' (most often at 70'). Without the wedge, the wake is rampy and clean with long transitions - great for beginners. With the wedge, the wake is lippy and stiff enough to easily boot you eight feet in the air.

From time to time, we'll put another 440lb sac in the center of the boat near the walk-thru. This extra sac just makes the wake bigger/firmer but doesn't change the shape too much.

Alright...went out this weekend with 68' line and at 80' not including handle at 22.5-23 mph and 2 people in boat with only center ballast full and weve eliminated the washed out wake. For some reason i thought the shortest length on our rope was 55' but i guess not. Speeding up the boat def helps as we were riding 20.5-21.5 at 68'. Trying to get it dialed in without sitting sacs on seats or in walkways. Need the room for chicas.

I have the same boat too. And I run the ballast tanks full, no wedge at all. And get a good wake from it. And I'm on like 85' of rope.

I've been playing with bow ballast in this boat too. I have about 320 lbs of lead (tire scrap in Pop bags). We aren't a big fan of having it all in the bow as the boat gets a little tricky to handle going over wakes at slow speed. But 240 lbs in front, and 40 on each side in the rear seems to be pretty good.

What did you use for bags? I need to add some lead the port side of my boat to offset the sub weight I added. I think the local tire shop would give me old weights, but I'n not sure what to put them in.

What did you use for bags? I need to add some lead the port side of my boat to offset the sub weight I added. I think the local tire shop would give me old weights, but I'n not sure what to put them in.

I used some bags by this company: http://www.pop-products.com/products/

I picked up 8 bags for like $11 each, shipped. The lead was free from a couple different local shops.

The guy who owns the company is a nice guy, and does this on the side. I'm sure he has a regular job too. The product is good quality. But he was a little slow about filling the order. Happened a 2nd & 3rd time when some friends ordered them too. This was in the spring time, so he may not be as busy now. But just be forewarned...... and patient.

I think there is another company who does something similar but don't know the company name.

You can use other ballast in these bags too. Lead shot, sand, etc. The scrap lead worked for me, and the price was right.

In the past I've melted old tire lead down on an old BBQ, and then poured it into bread pans to make bricks. Then carpeted them with indoor/outdoor carpet. Worked great, but there was always that toxic lead question. Years later, I don't have a third arm or anything. But I liked not having to melt the scrap down because it was easier & less hazardous.

wow 85 ft? wholly crap that is way back...... I run the same boat, 350 in the bow, 500 middle, 750 in each corner NO WEDGE and with no effort hit the landing ramp, lots of floating time. at 75 ft i have to load up and run at the wake.....never tried further back. I used to use the wedge but man i throws you up...... the wake is alot more "mellow' without the wedge and for a mid 40's guy that seems to be better.

should have added I run at 21 mph and the wake is clean

Edited by board brained