Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 23LSV with 85 hours...help

InvisibleMask

So my boat runs fine, starts perfectly each time, no issues.

Except when we are surfing and have the tanks fulll/wedge down/6-10 people in the boat and after a few passes going 9 mph while someone is surfing this is where the funny stuff begins. They fall off the board so I let off the throttle and turn around. When I give it some throttle to speed up it doesn't do anything or hesitates. I have to let off the throttle and go fwd again and it will kick in and run normal. Its as if it has no fuel at that point or its flooded but i know its not that. So once I baby it and get it up to 5mph or so (takes maybe 15 seconds) then it runs fine. This is a problem because it happens when the bow is about to crash into my own wake causing a flood so I need to throttle it quickly at that point but it just sits there. It may only do this a few times each day.

Boat has 85 hours but its done this for awhile.

I run 87 octane, is that a no-no ?

Boat overheated once, horn sounded and I shut it off only to find a hose off which cools the engine. This was maybe 40 hours ago and its been fine since.

Again, runs fine otherwise, pulls strong, top speed is good, no smoke.

Also, one time while in a no wake zone just crusing along the dash said "ENG FAULT" but was running fine. I shut it off and restarted and it ran fine. This happened last weekend.

Now that the season is over I am taking it in to get serviced so should I have certain things checked out knowing the above??

thanks for any input.

You should really run 89 whenever you can. Kinda sounds like fouled plugs to me. Do you ever have a hard time starting the boat, even a little?

Never hard time starting, always fires right up.

I'll have the mechanic check the plugs and the usual stuff. I just didn't know if this was normal going at such a slow speed with all the weight and all and then trying to gas it.

My '08 LSV is still under warranty until next June - If your's is still under warranty - have them look into it - should be no cost to you.

I bought mine in 09 so it should be. Would i need to take it to the dealer I bought it or just a certified malibu or indmar mechanic?

Never hard time starting, always fires right up.

I'll have the mechanic check the plugs and the usual stuff. I just didn't know if this was normal going at such a slow speed with all the weight and all and then trying to gas it.

Could be an issue with your throttle sensor? I know there were some issues on the 08' boats with the throttle.

I bought mine in 09 so it should be. Would i need to take it to the dealer I bought it or just a certified malibu or indmar mechanic?

I think just a certified Malibu dealer. I bought mine from a dealer about 4 hrs from my home, and have a dealer about 30 min away, so I take it to the close one and have had no issues with warranty repairs.

I had an old car that died every time I went up the STEEP hill in front of my house. It ran great otherwise. After a lot of hit and miss, it was determined that there was junk in the tank that only hit the pick up when it was all forced to the rear of the tank. I know it is a new boat, but ya never know.

I had an old car that died every time I went up the STEEP hill in front of my house. It ran great otherwise. After a lot of hit and miss, it was determined that there was junk in the tank that only hit the pick up when it was all forced to the rear of the tank. I know it is a new boat, but ya never know.

[/quote

Which side do you list the boat. Is the gas tank completely full when this happens. My 2005 Vride has the pickup on the starboard side of the tank (driverside), so when surfing on the portside with half a tank of gas or less you could be running out of gas for a short moment and cause some hesitation. Look and see where your pickup is and also try it with a full tank of gas and see if it happens. Also check your plugs to see if they are fouled. Going slow for long periods of time can cause carbon to build up on the plugs especially with 87 octane. I always round out the day with a short high speed run to clean out the plugs after surfing.

Your description seems like a good possibility. It has happened with 3/4 tank on either side so I don't think its a gas issue. I don't think its a throttle sensor issue either because it only does it while surfing. Unless the throttle sensor doesn't like being at 9.4mph and then a change in speed up or down. Never does it while wakeboarding or going no-wake speed, strictly surfing.

I'll check out the plugs and also run 89 or 91 fuel for sometime to see if it improves. I suspect it may be carbon build up.

thanks all for the input as usual.

Your description seems like a good possibility. It has happened with 3/4 tank on either side so I don't think its a gas issue. I don't think its a throttle sensor issue either because it only does it while surfing. Unless the throttle sensor doesn't like being at 9.4mph and then a change in speed up or down. Never does it while wakeboarding or going no-wake speed, strictly surfing.

I'll check out the plugs and also run 89 or 91 fuel for sometime to see if it improves. I suspect it may be carbon build up.

thanks all for the input as usual.

try turning off the cruise and traveling at surf speed. See if it still hesitates. Could be the cruise doing it.

try turning off the cruise and traveling at surf speed. See if it still hesitates. Could be the cruise doing it.

hhmm, never even thought of that possibility. I guess I figured if I am manually giving it throttle then the cruise is not engaged even though it is 'on'.

Next time I will test this and see.. Good idea, thanks