Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter vs Sunsetter

flanders

I have a newby question. I am on the hunt for a 2006 malibu. Can anyone tell me the difference between a 2006 sunsetter and a wakesetter. I can't find any info on the malibu site. the sunsetter has onboard ballast and the illusion tower. It looks exactly like the wakesetter. Is there a difference in the hull design? Please chime in and let me know please

sunsetter what? Lxi? Xti?

A sunsetter is a direct drive (engine mounted in the middle)boat, the VLX is a V-Drive with the engine in the back. Pretty big differences...

2006 is the last year they made the sunsetter IIRC.

What are you looking to do with the boat? That will help decide which will be better for your situation.

- Chad

We need more info on what exactly you are looking for. A Sunsetter is a direct drive but not all wakesetters are v-drives. What is the boat going to be used for? Slalom, wakeboarding both, lots of people?

We need more info on what exactly you are looking for. A Sunsetter is a direct drive but not all wakesetters are v-drives. What is the boat going to be used for? Slalom, wakeboarding both, lots of people?

I hope it is not too much of a hijack...but on more recent models where there is both a sunscape and wakesetter, can someone describe what the difference is in the hull? And is it different for the 23' vs 247?

I hope it is not too much of a hijack...but on more recent models where there is both a sunscape and wakesetter, can someone describe what the difference is in the hull? And is it different for the 23' vs 247?

Sunsetters come standard with the diamond hull, wake hull is a no cost option. Wakesetters come standard with the wake hull, diamond hull is a no cost option. The wakesetter series come with a many standard features the sunsetters don't, tower, graphics, wedge, etc..

I hope I'm recalling all this info correctly, it's been a while since I looked into the details.

• 6 years later...

Looking at a 2006 21' Sunsetter XTI, how can I determine that it HAS the diamond hull?  To be used for slalom, no wake activity.

Edited by TurtleKent
  • Like 1

Ronnie beat me to the punch!

26 minutes ago, TurtleKent said:

Looking at a 2006 21' Sunsetter XTI, how can I determine that it HAS the diamond hull?  To be used for slalom, no wake activity.

Check out the edges of the two hulls below and you should notice pic #2 has a more aggressive downward angle.

The first pic is a wake hull, second is a diamond. 

Wake.jpg

Diamond.jpg

Edited by MikeDe
17 minutes ago, MikeDe said:

Ronnie beat me to the punch!

Check out the edges of the two hulls below and you should notice pic #2 has a more aggressive downward angle.

The first pic is a wake hull, second is a diamond. 

Wake.jpg

Diamond.jpg

Great side by side pic! Love the license plate too!

• Like 2