Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to find Registration History

Hi,

I am going to buy a used Malibu and would like to know if there is a government agency I can call to find out which states a boat has been registered in (not just the current one but all past registrations). I wanted to know so I can tell how many owners there have been, whether the boat is stolen, and what environment it had been in (i.e. freezing temps, near ocean, etc).

Right now I have been calling each state's agency which deals with boat registrations and they mostly give me a quick answer (by giving them the HullID) but finding phone numbers for 50 states and calling each one is obviously an insane task which takes hours upon hours. I called 6 different states in the east coast and each one has stated they do not have visibility into other states. One agency said the local police should have country wide access but I called and got the run around. Georgia said their supervisor has access to all 50 states and checked but they could not even find a Tennessee registration which I had previously found by calling Tennessee. A nice dealer called Malibu for me and gave me the original sale info but no other details as no owners had ever filed with Malibu.

I don;t get a feel that businesses like www.marinetitle.com give the info or have access to all the DMVs, Willdlife Agencys,etc. And I think I wasted money already using www.boathistoryreport.com.

There are three other government agency's that I will call tomorrow as they are shut down today and hopefully they may have countrywide access:

1) National Crime Information Center

Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division

1000 Custer Hollow Road

Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306

Hours of Service: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Telephone: (304) 625-2000

2 )Alabama Marine police 800 272 7930

3) United States Coast Guard Website (leaving dor.mo.gov webspace)

United States Coast Guard

National Vessel Documentation Center

792 T J Jackson Drive

Falling Waters, WV 25419

(304) 271-2400

(800) 799-8362

FAX: (304) 271-2405

Appreciate any help

Thanks !!!

eeek, and I thought I was a picky buyer!

I dont really know of a sure way to find that out. But in my boat buying experience I'd say its fair to say that most 10-15 year old or newer ski boats typicaly have had a max of 2 - 3 owners. Why not just ask the seller the history? If the boat seems good and the seller seems honest, I'd have no reason not to believe him. If not, then I wouldn't want anything to do with that boat anyhow.

Salt water use is usually pretty easy to detect based on corrosion.

And use in a freezing climate shouldn't be an issue either if it has been properly winterized.

Has it been registered in so many states you need to research it that hard? If a boat has been bought and sold and transported that often I think I would be looking at a different boat.