Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GoreTex Prop shaft seal

nemalibu

I let the local marina replace my prop shaft seal with the Goretex material. Initial they over tightened it (I found this right away by feeling the prop shaft and seal nut after spinning the shaft at just above idle for about 2 minutes - they were very warm). I loostened it and did some test running. Since then I have loostened it quite a bit but even with is still dripping a bit fast the shaft and seal nut get warm.

How warm it too warm? It seems that the shft always gets a bit hot due to being attached to the engine which gets quite warm. In the past (with the old style wax rope seal) I just watched the drip rate and never did much checking of the prop shaft or seal nut temperature. How warm should I expect the nut to get after running for a while?

Gortex? Haven’t heard of a seal made of Gortex. Seems to me that since Gortex repels water it wouldn’t make a good shaft seal because you want some water flow to get past the seal for lubrication. Just my opinion so I may get corrected pretty quick.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24

I put one in last spring. The guys at Skidim.com said to run it loose, and let it leak, for a bit. Then tighten it down a little at a time till it virtually doesn't drip at all. Done. I haven't touched mine since, other than to see if it is warm at all.

Heres what the put in print:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

http://www.skidim.co...umber=GFO1/4X24

I put one in last spring. The guys at Skidim.com said to run it loose, and let it leak, for a bit. Then tighten it down a little at a time till it virtually doesn't drip at all. Done. I haven't touched mine since, other than to see if it is warm at all.

Heres what the put in print:

Bill,

Is the 1/4" the correct diameter for an 1 1/8" shaft? This is on my winter "to do" list.

Bill,

Is the 1/4" the correct diameter for an 1 1/8" shaft? This is on my winter "to do" list.

Yes, I believe so, for most later model boats. It's only some older Malibus & Nautiques that used the 3/16".

I'd definitely verify with Skidim for your own boat (rather than trusting some guy on the net). :crazy:

I had to check the boat this weekend.... since we were talkin about it. It rained most of the weekend so we didn't ride. But thanks to the Rankin cover & GFO prop packing, the interior was dry & the bilge had just a bit of water in it. The GFO is doin it's job!

IMG00086-20101007-1716Large.jpg

Yes, I believe so, for most later model boats. It's only some older Malibus & Nautiques that used the 3/16".

I'd definitely verify with Skidim for your own boat (rather than trusting some guy on the net). :crazy:

I had to check the boat this weekend.... since we were talkin about it. It rained most of the weekend so we didn't ride. But thanks to the Rankin cover & GFO prop packing, the interior was dry & the bilge had just a bit of water in it. The GFO is doin it's job!

You're backwards Bill, 3/16" is for a 1 1/8" shaft

-Chris

Could be. The packing doesn't look or feel like your favorite NorthFace jacket by any stretch of the imagination. It's kind of oily/greasy & looks like a piece of rope. They actually send you enough to do 2 packings.

You do want it very loose. I tightened mine too snug at first & had to back off until it was very loose. It eventually started to leak property & then I re-snugged it. All is good now.

edit: spelling

Edited by wienrdog