Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Branded Board Shorts

ed obermeier

Heather from 413 Sportsgear asked me if I would start a thread specific to what we'd like to see in board shorts from them. Any ideas you have hey, they're listening. Some specific parameters they'd like considered -

- Pockets vs No Pockets

- Color?

- Design (pattern) vs Solid

- Elastic Waistband vs Lace-Up Tie

- Logo: Big vs Small

- Logo: Embroidered vs Printed

Any other information or ideas you'd like to see considered, fire away.

My personal input -

- Definitely at least one small closeable pocket.

- Standard primary colors plus some simple plaids would work for me. Chill but not too loud.

- Both. 97% of the board shorts I see in the catalogs (Overtons i.e.) I would never buy. I've looked for years for a pair of board shorts like the ones Chris Parrish wore when he still skied for Malibu. Primary color with the Malibu logo in fairly large print down one leg. I'd love a pair in red (anyone have a copy of a photo with CP wearing those shorts?)

- Lace-up

- Again both. Standard primary colors plus some simple plaids.

- Both. The ones CP wore were large type and I liked them. Some with the smaller logo would probably have equal appeal.

- Both. Large logos probably would look better printed IMO. Though Billabong i.e. does some pretty nicely done larger embroidered panels.

My preferences:

One pocket on the side of the leg.

I'd so some patterns - nothing too outrageous.

lace up

logo size depends on amount of pattern I guess - I don't really have a preference.

Printed.

I would love a malibu board short. Especially if you could get them in colors to match your boat and possibly with the model embroirdered.

- One "external" pocket on the leg (I hate mesh pockets internal to the shorts, they always end up in-side-out after skiing)

- Stick to primary colors, preferrably the basic colors that malibu has had for years

- On patterns, either use sections to break up the larger solids or use a combination of solids to make a simple pattern, or use simple printed pattern to break up the solids.

- Lace-Up Tie

- Logo: big or small is fine

- Logo: small logo can be embroirderd and represent the model boat you have (WS, Response, LSV...), large logo can be printed to keep cost in check

Malibu is a boat manufacturer, not a clothing company. Thinking that they would stock multiple colors, lace-up, model specific shorts isn't even close to reasonable. Think about it. Say...red, blue, green, orange, and yellow. Lace-up means inch size specific (28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44...?). And how many models do they make?

Elastic waist with a drawstring means they can make four sizes (S, M, L, XL) instead of seven or more. Model specific just isn't realistic, are they supposed to make clothing for models that are no longer in production?

I like the idea of the primary colors, each with a white stripe down the outside of the leg with MALIBU screened on the white stripe in the color to match the main body of the short.

I vote for something edgy. More Axis than Bayliner. Young and relevent. Maybe something that mimics the background on the more recent Wakesetter graphics. Bold, sharp, and dangerous. Keep in mind the shorts and T's will be worn together. Not matching, but complementary.

Don't make anything old school for us old codgers. Force us to step it up. Ok, maybe a "Captain" T and some solid color shorts with a white stripe down the side for those who refuse to join the revolution. Alright, make it twin racing stripes.

Definitely something with the new WS logo.......not to be worn with the WS T. Must avoid the put together look. Keep it kinda messy.

Have a contest. Get some fresh ideas. Make real sure the colors won't bleed onto vinyl. Plaid? Nah. Camo? Nope, but variations on the camo theme are cool. Please, no skulls, flying or otherwise, and nothing that will make my butt look big.

Put the big graphics on the back of the t's, not the front. Front just isn't working. Seriously.

If I was designing a T right now, it would have the big WS logo on the back, and on the front upper left would be a screen shot of Maliview on the analog guages page or that "a step beyond" message you get when you first fire it up. Yeah, I like that a lot.

... nothing that will make my butt look big.

Clothing cannot "make" your butt look big. :no:

If your butt looks big, it's because your butt is big. :yes:

:lol:

If they have an elastic waistband Iam not wearing them. They didnt ask what was easy for them they asked what we liked :rockon: side pocket is good . Skyskier is on the right track

Edited by apwrx
martinarcher

If they have an elastic waistband Iam not wearing them. They didnt ask what was easy for them they asked what we liked :rockon: side pocket is good . Skyskier is on the right track

Right on. I vote for the tie up! No elastic for me either.

I wouldn't buy board shorts without a pocket. I'm a Type I Diabetic so my insulin pump has to go somewhere. Wink.gif.

I think "Malibu" down one leg in big print would look sweet. Hey maybe the sun on your butt would be cool. LOL.gif

I also vote dark colored shorts with a light colored logo. White board shorts are a bad idea, plus anything white is only white for a short amount of time while I'm wearing it. LOL.gif

I'm partial to these, the material is great, dries quick and I like the graphics.

"Scott Byerly’s signature boardshort. Psychostretch 22” outseam features engineered printed boardshorts with 0.3 mm hyperprene stretch panels, superfly, 2.0 closure, locking drawcord, welt zip pocket, embroidered, appliquéd and screened logos"

If Malibu is stuck on primary colors then maybe screen their boats on and have Malibu embrodery on the shorts or something. Your right Malibu is a boat company not a clothing company.

post-8035-016005800 1286597105_thumb.jpg

I'm partial to these, the material is great, dries quick and I like the graphics.

"Scott Byerly's signature boardshort. Psychostretch 22" outseam features engineered printed boardshorts with 0.3 mm hyperprene stretch panels, superfly, 2.0 closure, locking drawcord, welt zip pocket, embroidered, appliquéd and screened logos"

If Malibu is stuck on primary colors then maybe screen their boats on and have Malibu embrodery on the shorts or something. Your right Malibu is a boat company not a clothing company.

By the sounds I like the material those are made of - quick drying is key. Zippered pockets are nice, that way if I forget my camera in my pocket when I go for a surf at least I know it wont fall out... :Doh:

On a side note - I am NOT a fan of skull \ teeth \ 8 ball graphics and probably wouldnt wear anything with them. I'm not sure whats up with those in the recent boating scene - seen a bunch of boat wraps, life jacket graphics, and shorts with them on it. Not my style.

On a side note - I am NOT a fan of skull \ teeth \ 8 ball graphics and probably wouldnt wear anything with them. I'm not sure whats up with those in the recent boating scene - seen a bunch of boat wraps, life jacket graphics, and shorts with them on it. Not my style.

+1

Unless it's a ripoff of 80s powell peralta, for which I have a major soft spot.

Malibu is a boat manufacturer, not a clothing company. Thinking that they would stock multiple colors, lace-up, model specific shorts isn't even close to reasonable. Think about it. Say...red, blue, green, orange, and yellow. Lace-up means inch size specific (28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44...?). And how many models do they make?

Elastic waist with a drawstring means they can make four sizes (S, M, L, XL) instead of seven or more. Model specific just isn't realistic, are they supposed to make clothing for models that are no longer in production?

I like the idea of the primary colors, each with a white stripe down the outside of the leg with MALIBU screened on the white stripe in the color to match the main body of the short.

Yes but that doesn't mean they can't license the logo and rights to a clothing company to make shorts for them. A company like Eagle could do something specific for Malibu very easily. An extra bonus is they are located right here in the United States.....the more complex the shorts, the more labor that is needed.....we may be creating jobs! :biggrin:

If you click here, to go to 413's website, and then click "shop by club" it would appear that Malibu is outsourcing to 413. So the input here may directly affect the products we see come down the pipe.

My vote is definitely for the newer quick dry material. I bought some O'Neill Hyperfreak boardshorts in the spring and love them. However, it would be nice to have a pair of Malibu shorts too!

I would guess they need to do two different styles. One for those a bit more traditional and conservative (yet still cool and hip), and then another set for those who really want to make a statement.

By the sounds I like the material those are made of - quick drying is key. Zippered pockets are nice, that way if I forget my camera in my pocket when I go for a surf at least I know it wont fall out... :Doh:

:plus1:

The TMC shirts we got at the Oroville WOW with the logo down the sides are pretty cool (kind of like Fox Racing I suppose). Something similar could be done on a nice pair of shorts too. Quick drying is essential. I like the zippered or velcro pockets to keep my phone & keys secured while I'm out on the boat or SUP.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

"Scott Byerlys signature boardshort. Psychostretch 22 outseam features engineered printed boardshorts with 0.3 mm hyperprene stretch panels, superfly, 2.0 closure, locking drawcord, welt zip pocket, embroidered, appliquéd and screened logos"

This is a perfect example of what 90%+ of anyone over age 25 would never wear. No offense intended, just saying.

I do agree on the quick drying material though.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier
martinarcher

:plus1:

The TMC shirts we got at the Oroville WOW with the logo down the sides are pretty cool (kind of like Fox Racing I suppose). Something similar could be done on a nice pair of shorts too. Quick drying is essential. I like the zippered or velcro pockets to keep my phone & keys secured while I'm out on the boat or SUP.

Right on. I got one of those shirts and it is certainly a favorite!

'This is a perfect example of what 90%+ of anyone over age 25 would never wear. No offense intended, just saying."

No offence taken, your age assumption is funny :lol:, wish I was 25 again. If you double that number you would be closer to the truth. :) Different strokes on the graphics, every once in awhile I like to step out of the box. If Malibu is looking into board shorts, the material in those Byerlys really should be considered.

Edited by Kingfish

I hate velcro pockets. They stick to everything when thrown into the wash. And eventually the velcro pulls out and stops sticking with use. I am much more partial to zippered pockets. Although when surf (real surf not wake surf) I wear board shorts with no pockets as I can't stand the zipper on my leg when lying on my board.