Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is Power Wedge a Must Have

Hi,

I am looking at 2004 - 2007 Wakesetter LSV and would like to know:

1) Is a Power Wedge a must have? Is it that much better than the manual wedge? I am a newby wakeboarder and also want to teach my wife and very young kids (4 and 2 so not sure when but someday) to wakeboard. However I really want to get great at it and if so wonder if I should definitely get a power wedge.

2) A 2004 owner said there's a lot of issues with Power Wedge but then again he is selling his 2004 which does not have one. What do you all think? Seems to me it would be hard to know if there are a ton of issues since no one typically posts comments if they have no issues. People typically post when they have issues.

3) Does the power wedge have an infinite number of position or just a few like 3 or 4? Is there a display which shows the position of the power wedge?

4) Can you add a power wedge to a 2004 or 2005?

5) Can you add a ballast monitoring system to a 2004 or would it cost too much?

Edited by JoeMama

Hi,

I am looking at 2004 - 2007 Wakesetter LSV and would like to know:

1) Is a Power Wedge a must have? Is it that much better than the manual wedge? I am a newby wakeboarder and also want to teach my wife and very young kids (4 and 2 so not sure when but someday) to wakeboard. However I really want to get great at it and if so wonder if I should definitely get a power wedge.

2) A 2004 owner said there's a lot of issues with Power Wedge but then again he is selling his 2004 which does not have one. What do you all think? Seems to me it would be hard to know if there are a ton of issues since no one typically posts comments if they have no issues. People typically post when they have issues.

3) Does the power wedge have an infinite number of position or just a few like 3 or 4? Is there a display which shows the position of the power wedge?

4) Can you add a power wedge to a 2004 or 2005?

5) Can you add a ballast monitoring system to a 2004 or would it cost too much?

Thanks,

In short, No!

In more detail:

Although not impossible, a power wedge is VERY hard, if not impossible, to install after. Just because the dealerships cannot do it for you. Ie what comes on your boat will likely stay as is.

Power Wedge:

The biggest advantage of the power wedge is the adjustability. The manual wedges are down or up thats it. The power wedge allows you to adjust the peakiness of the wave as opposed to just the size of it. The power wedge is susceptible to more problems but they are generally pretty bullet proof. I wouldn't hesitate to get one due to potential problems.

Manual:

If you end up with a 2007 the manual wedge is a "floating" wedge which seems to be much better than the old style manual wedge. It is much easier to raise and lower than the older style manual "fixed" wedge. The floating wedge has "no" problems, but it does lack the adjustability of the power wedge. I have one and have no complaints. The only time I've felt the WANT (not need) for the power wedge would be for fine tuning the surf wave.

The fixed wedge has had numerous problems with the bolts shearing off and the wedge arms bending. Many crew members have encountered this and have come up with various solutions. The fixed wedge (I'm told) is somewhat of an annoyance to lower/raise.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a power wedge. if you come across a 2007 with a manual I would not hesitate. If you find a very reasonable deal on a pre 2007 with a manual I wouldn't hesitate. You can try it out and if you don't like it, you can always swap out for a floating wedge by purchasing the newer style bracket and foil.

To sum it up.

The Manual fixed is the least desirable but still very effective.

The manual floating lacks the adjustability of the power wedge but eliminated any potential problems.

The power wedge has the adjustability but has the potential for problems although usually very reliable.

Edited by Ronnie

It's a must in my mind. It works great to adjust the wake on the fly. I'm always adjusting it when were surfing depending on weight in the boat. Also, folks in the used market are going to demand it as well.

Is the power wedge a must have? That’s like asking is you need a remote control for a TV. While it isn’t absolutely necessary who would have it without one now that they’re available. I have a manual wedge only because I bought an older boat. And since my swim step doesn’t have an access point I have to go under the boat to move the wedge. I say get the power wedge.

You ask a tough question that not even you can answer. You may develop into a rider who likes a bit of a kicker at the lip of the wake. If so, you need a wedge. Or, maybe you will like your wake big and rampy. If so, then no wedge is needed. I see comp level riders who are on both ends of the scale, although most do like the wedge. You also have to think about who you may be pulling, now and in the future, and what they may prefer. One thing is for sure, if you get a wedge you will not regret it. If you don't, you could come up just a little bit short of owning the ultimate wake machine.

The manual wedge is a bad bet due to a predictable failure rate. Mine broke three times. The floating wedge may be a compromise, but reliable and better than no wedge. The power wedge is reliable with no down side other than cost. Even that will be offset when it is time to sell. With the power wedge, you can dial up any kind of wake a rider may prefer......at the touch of a button. After owning two boats with the power wedge, I could not imagine being without that kind of convenience and versatility.

You don't need one but hey you don't need a Wakesetter either right? Haha thats crazy you do need a Wakesetter!

I purchased a power wedge from a salvaged boat and installed it on my Vride with very little effort and it works great. However it does not currently have the safety lockouts and position gauge. It also does not have that controller that never seems to work correctly. I just wired it up on a relay so the boat must be running to operate or I must press a separate "trailering switch" under the dash. I plan on installing some type of gauge over the winter. Malibu will not sell you any of those parts - some type of legal/safety issue I guess. I have had it on for 2 seasons and primarily use it for surfing.

Bottom line is look for the power wedge boat first but don't ignore a great deal on a great boat because it doesn't have it.

IT IS A MUST

part of what makes the malibu boat so great is the versatility of being able to change the wake shape by pushing a button. most boats only allow you to change the wake shape by adding ballast weight.

IT IS A MUST>

also go with a power wedge which was started in 2006 and later.

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse

Yeah, it's a must. The best thing about it isn't the wake shaping, it's that you don't have to climb back there and drop it and then raise it up again. Also, your kids are too young to have them do it!

• 2 weeks later...

The power wedge is not just about being able to deploy without getting your arm wet. Many good points listed above, here's one more:

The power wedge uses a flat foil as opposed to the angled one. I had the angled one on my last boat (iRide) and I found that it was roughly the equivalent of adding 300-400 lbs in the trunk of that boat (which is right on top of where the wedge is located). Definitely NOT 1000lbs! My new boat (LSV) has the power wedge and while I haven't done the same experiment, I can tell you that it adds way more equivalent weight.

I have experience behind both types and I'd say the power wedge adds 600lbs more than the manual wedge does (the angled one). You can spend the money on the power wedge or you could add a sack, both will get you booted and make you happy.

For maximum versatility, yes it's a must. Now with that said, you have to weigh your own skill & experience level against that. IME, the floating wedge will give you roughly 80-85% of the performance of the power wedge & you can put one on any modern Malibu. Not so with the power wedge, at least as of this date.

So I think that if it were me & I found a boat that had all of the right colors & options that I wanted at the price-point that I have budgeted but was lacking a power wedge, it would be a tough thing to pass on to get that last 15% of performance. There are newer models that I think the power wedge is a better match for & work better with, & in that case I would be more inclined to hold out for one with a power wedge. But I wouldn't include 2006-2007 models in that.

But that's just me.