Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing fuel injection system

Steve B.

Hi all,

How do you guy's winterize the fuel injection system on a fuel injected (350 Merc) engine? Do you fog it somehow?

I've done ton's of carbuerated engines, but never one with fuel injection.

Also, what do you recommend for a gas stabilizer. Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

Sea-Foam in the gas tank. Pick you up a can at wal-mart. Pour it in the tank and run the engine for about 10-15 minutes.

Go and get a can of fogging oil, remove the spark arrestor and spray in into the air intake for about 20 seconds. Don't worry about trying to kill the engine with the spray. Shut it down when you are done spraying.

Sea-Foam in the gas tank. Pick you up a can at wal-mart. Pour it in the tank and run the engine for about 10-15 minutes.

Go and get a can of fogging oil, remove the spark arrestor and spray in into the air intake for about 20 seconds. Don't worry about trying to kill the engine with the spray. Shut it down when you are done spraying.

Ah, I wondered about fogging that way. Thanks Murphy

Steve B.

Yup :plus1:

I picked up some West Marine EZ-to-Store/Start Fuel Stabilizer after reading about this stuff in another thread here.

004_134_003_501.jpg

i sent that company an email asking whether it is safe to use with an engine with catalytic converters....haven't heard back yet. Sent the email back when that other post was going.

Until i get confirmation from the manufacturer their product is safe for cats, I will be removing spark plugs to get my engine fogging done.

i sent that company an email asking whether it is safe to use with an engine with catalytic converters....haven't heard back yet. Sent the email back when that other post was going.

Until i get confirmation from the manufacturer their product is safe for cats, I will be removing spark plugs to get my engine fogging done.

Is anybody else having a hard time believing this stuff will work nearly as good as actual fogging oil? Just seems like it would end up too diluted to stick to...anything....? Is this stuff new? I don't think I'm going to be the guineau pig on this, I'll check back with you guys in 10 years :biggrin:

I was told by my mechanic that spraying fogging oil into an EFI engine air intake will eventually clog the injectors. He suggested pulling the plugs and spraying directly into each cylinder. Then turn the engine over once to circulate. Just a suggestion.

Now I'm toying with the idea of fogging at the air intake, then removing the plugs and fogging the cylinders too. Just to make sure the valves get some of the honey too !

Steve B.

I was looking again for information on fogging EFI engines and ran across a thread that I found interesting. I hijacked it here:

I had been led to believe that the problem with fogging EFI engines through the TB was that GM used floor jets, which would clog with fogging oil. The fuel injector faces down towards the intake valve as one would expect. The injector and it's pintle are quite well protected. The intake passages winds up and down to provide a tuned length runner. When you fog one of these engines, you'll end up with a gooey mess that you can't clean out without disassembling the manifold. Also because of the way the runners loop, it is very unlikely much of the oil would reach the intake port, which leaves most of it sitting on the bottom of the plenum.

Unlike carbureted engines, no fuel runs though the intake manifold of an EFI engine. It's the fuel that washes the oil from the manifold. I suppose you could use a spray cleaner, but you would need a lot of it. Just for fun, spray a piece of metal with fogging oil and let it dry for a few months. Then try to remove it. It's not very easy, especially where it runs into puddles.

So with this advice I am planning on mixing up the cocktail that MERC suggests in the fuel filter and running that for a couple minutes.