Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone know this boat?

hethj7

This seems like a great deal, but it has been listed for months now. What's wrong with this boat?23LSV on OnlyInboards

dont know if anything is wrong with it looks clean by the pics, but the market for ski boats isn't great around here. the boat is about 30 mins away. I can check it out if your really interested. send me a pm if you are.

Looks like a good deal but not a super super low scam scare price. I got my 07 with all the options here plus power wedge for 42k this winter, it had about 160 hours. Now it has 235. at the time I thought that was a great deal now it seems more in line. Probably someone who just wants to move it quick. With that said as someone who test drove a bunch of 04-06's last year before stumbling across mine I would test drive it before buying. Check that all the ballast pumps work, the bilge, the stereo, the speedo, fuel gauge, pp etc. There were a lot of boats that looked great on onlyinboards that when I got in them had a bunch of issues like that that the owners were "totally unaware" of. stuff like that can add up to get fixed, these boats arent cheap to work on.

If everything checks out I would think that this is just a guy who has priced his boat to sell and doesnt want to jerk around with it. Probably figures on spending 100 a month minimum to store it this winter plus winterization and de winterization next spring before selling if he doesnt sell now. That is why I looked all last fall for my boat when I bought it. I found about a 3-5k difference in prices from oct-nov time frame vs April May. Those hours are pretty low for an 04, probably doesnt use it much anymore and just wants to sell it.

I'd say thats a fair price for an 04 not a blowout but good.Probably tired of paying on it for the amount of use, kinda how iam feeling :whistle: I'd say its definately worth a look nice boat for sure. :thumbup:

Gilby, thanks for the offer, but I don't think we're quite that far along yet. I may take you up on the offer eventually though.

63Taylor and Shawndoggy - thanks for the input. I did just run across a thread here where another 23LSV sold for just under $30K, so this one would seem a little high. I'm not sure how the options or hours compared though.

Any other major differences I should know about between 04 vs 05-06? I think the hulls are the same. 04 has the gorilla fins, correct? The Monsoon engine seems to be rock solid from what I've read here.

I sold a very similar '04 at the first of this year for $35,900. Mine had about 100 more hours. '04 was the first year for this hull on the 23' boats. Gorilla fins were standard. The rear locker ballast tanks were above the floor and IMO are not as desirable as the below floor tanks. BUT, they can be removed easily and 750 sacs installed in their place. I never need more than the Monsoon. I'll be happy to give you any more info on the '04's.

apwrx - My wife and I were oohing and ahhhing over your boat earlier today. It's sharp, but probably just out of our price range. If you really get tired of paying on it, shoot me a note :biggrin:

apwrx - My wife and I were oohing and ahhhing over your boat earlier today. It's sharp, but probably just out of our price range. If you really get tired of paying on it, shoot me a note :biggrin:

Will do :) When we use it i love it and think there is no way i'll sell it,but then it sits when i think we'll use it and it annoys me to the point i just want to get rid of it and do something else :crazy:

I know the feeling. I want a boat so bad right now, I just hope I use it as much as I think I will. I can see how the "newness" of things wear off though and then you just want to unload it and move on. I've been that way with several toys in life, just haven't had a chance to try it out with a boat yet. And of course, I got spoiled riding on a buddies Bu, so I'm pretty focused on them vs. settling for something less just to get on the water.

I know the feeling. I want a boat so bad right now, I just hope I use it as much as I think I will. I can see how the "newness" of things wear off though and then you just want to unload it and move on. vs. settling for something less just to get on the water.

I went 4 years between boats because I fell in love with the Malibu line and knew if i did not get a Malibu or something close I would be disappointed. It was well worth the wait.

If you get a boat, you almost have to commit to yourself that you will use it. We have at least an hour drive wherever we go. We made 12 trips last summer and 12 this one - some one evening and some 3 or 4 days. Sometimes we left home in the rain, drive through storms, but never did get rained out. It is a toy that takes some work, but well worth it!

I called on this boat. Unless it relisted, this thing sold for 32K back in July. I was visiting South Lake Tahoe and called while I was in the area and talked to the seller. It used to be on craigslist -- not anymore.

I sold a very similar '04 at the first of this year for $35,900. Mine had about 100 more hours. '04 was the first year for this hull on the 23' boats. Gorilla fins were standard. The rear locker ballast tanks were above the floor and IMO are not as desirable as the below floor tanks. BUT, they can be removed easily and 750 sacs installed in their place. I never need more than the Monsoon. I'll be happy to give you any more info on the '04's.

Hi Ronnie,

I have just decided to buy a wakesetter LSV and am trying to stick under 40K. I found a nice 2004 for $35K but am curious as to the differences between 2004 and 2005 especially in storage and in the lockable storage under sunpad. Do you know the exact cubic feet or dimensions on the 2004 verses the 2005? Can you put a wakeboard in the lockable storage in the 2004 or 2005?

Man I would love a 2007 for $42K if anyone knows of one near California.

Thanks so much

Hi Ronnie,

I have just decided to buy a wakesetter LSV and am trying to stick under 40K. I found a nice 2004 for $35K but am curious as to the differences between 2004 and 2005 especially in storage and in the lockable storage under sunpad. Do you know the exact cubic feet or dimensions on the 2004 verses the 2005? Can you put a wakeboard in the lockable storage in the 2004 or 2005?

Man I would love a 2007 for $42K if anyone knows of one near California.

Thanks so much

well keep checking the for sale thread, just might see mine for sale :((((((( depends on whether i'll be forced to sell or not. pray that i don't have to sell my BU.....

Hey Joe, The lockable storage is almost identical. The '04 just has the above the floor tanks mounted in them. I never tried to put a wakeboard in the locker but I would be surprised if you couldn't put a medium sized board in there. The forward carpeted wall hangs down pretty far. I shortened that wall on mine by about 5" to make the ProX 750 bags fit better after I removed the hard tanks. Malibu shortened the lockers in '04 to make more room in the cabin area. The '03 and earlier boats had several more inches in length in the locker.

well keep checking the for sale thread, just might see mine for sale :((((((( depends on whether i'll be forced to sell or not. pray that i don't have to sell my BU.....

Gilby if you do decide to sell, PM me. I've got a co-worker who is pretty seriously looking right now.

I called on this boat. Unless it relisted, this thing sold for 32K back in July. I was visiting South Lake Tahoe and called while I was in the area and talked to the seller. It used to be on craigslist -- not anymore.

32K seems very reasonable.

Don't know anything about this boat, but saw it on Craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1986465442.html

2006 Malibu Wakesetter LSV 23 ft. Very clean, factory ordered, 3000 watts, 18 speakers, one 18 inch sub, 4 sets of board racks, 250 hours, 340 Monsoon engine, perfect pass, ipod hookup, ballast tanks, power wedge, handles like a 21 ft., ALWAYS stored indoor. Serious buyers only please!

Hey Joe, The lockable storage is almost identical. The '04 just has the above the floor tanks mounted in them. I never tried to put a wakeboard in the locker but I would be surprised if you couldn't put a medium sized board in there. The forward carpeted wall hangs down pretty far. I shortened that wall on mine by about 5" to make the ProX 750 bags fit better after I removed the hard tanks. Malibu shortened the lockers in '04 to make more room in the cabin area. The '03 and earlier boats had several more inches in length in the locker.

My boat came off of ebay sort of, I saw it on there and started emailing the seller and went and saw it. There have been a few scams on ebay but they are pretty easy to sort out. I had one where a guy had a boat just like mine but he said he lived in California and the boat was in storage in Atlanta, that if I paid him he would have the guys in Atlanta ship it to me. I said perfect I live in Atlanta, where is it and I will go look at it, he never emailed back.

Ebay is a good way to look at boats but I had 2 simple rules, dont buy it unless I saw it in person, 2. I would only give someone a check when it was getting hitched to the back of my expedition and I knew the title was clear. If you are really serious about a boat and it costs 35K a plane ticket is not that big a deal in reality. Worst case you could have them take it to their nearest Malibu dealer and pay the dealer to check it out. I had one boat I nearly bought but when I called the dealer he told me that the boat had been in salt water and he had done a ton of work to it. Most Malibu dealers want to protect their rep, especially since they arent making anything on the private sale.

For those of you looking for deal, as someone who just went through this last winter. There is a rush of good deals in September October for folks not wanting to pay to winterize and store for the year. Some super low deals come after Thanksgiving (some states pay tax at the end of december and folks are trying to avoid that) but after Thanksgiving the selection goes way down and some folks arent going to dewinterize just for a tire kicker (especially up north). Once you get into November you are mainly looking at dealers and repo auction boats that some used boat dealers pick up. There are some repo specialty guys in Atlanta and that was mainly what I was looking at early winter and I almost moved on a few but just didnt like the colors on them.

The boat I got was originally 52K on ebay, in Septembe I offered him 42K and he politely said no thanks. I sent an email in October and an email in December as I saw he was dropping the price a little. In early January he emailed me and said he was ready to move it and I went and picked it up. One thing to watch for is many of the major cities have boat shows in mid-late January and I started noticing prices climb back up almost immediatedly. The boat I bouught for 42 I probably could have sold for 45 in March and maybe a little more in April. I

That 06 looks sweet, just like my boat same paint and everything and the right amount of hours. I would think if you are serious and go see it you could probably talk a few dollars off. It did help I had a certified check for the whole amount as well, no private seller wants to deal with financing if they can help it. PM me if you have any other questions

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks. So how big are the 2004 ballasts above the floor tanks? I am trying to figure out how much space I lose by not getting a 2005?

Thanks,

I would figure on about just less than half the space taken by hard tanks on an '04. I wouldn't let that stop me though since you can remove those tanks easily and install the ProX sacs.

I cant tell a difference between 06 and 07 other than more 07's have a power wedge. Some 07's have the Wakesetter decal down the side instead of the tribal which came on 06's. My 07 and a few others I have seen have the tribal I actually prefer it. (dont know what the ratio is but I saw 1 07 with the Wakesetter decal the rest had tribal) Other than that the boats are fairly identical and any differences between boats would be options chosen at purchase.

If you have an 06 with the power wedge and low hours it is basically an 07, I have been on some 06's and I cant tell a difference from those and mine. Only other visual thing I can tell is the sticker on the right transom of the boat which says 23LSV looks a little different on the 06, not a big deal but I like mine better.

As to power vs manual wedge, it really depends on what you are going to be doing, if it is just surfing then it doesnt matter, if it is wakeboarding then my personal opinion is it does. I looked at a ton of boats with manual and didnt care at all before buying. But I ended up with power and am glad I did. I have a wife and kids that all wakeboard and a power wedge really lets you shape the wake at all speeds and make it as big or little as you want. And the biggest wave is about 1/3 from the bottom(which you cant get with Manual). It is also nice from a time perspective to have it right there at your fingertips. The reason I say it doesnt matter for surfing is that on my boat I only surf with it all the way down, any other setting and the wave goes to hell.