Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

And I Thought The Bootless Ski Was Tough

NorCaliBu

Got out to ski this evening (last minute type thing) with 40 minutes to ski before sunset and 3 guys that wanted to ski so needless to say we were rushing it a bit. Pop my ski out of the bag, place it on the swimstep, finish with the rest of the gear, and jump into my bindings. Into the water, take up the slack, "in gear...hit it".

So my driver was futzing with the PerfectPass and gave me a really slow up and before I knew what was happening the front of the ski sank and I went over. I ask him to hit it four to five times harder than that and pull # 2 is readied. Quicker up but same result. As the ski gets up on plane...BOOM...the tip dives and I'm OTF again. Grrrr....

One more try (now I'm getting pissed because I never miss my "ups"). I am really paying attention this time. Boat accelerates, ski comes up out of the hole, boat is gaining speed, and all of a sudden I feel it. Once up to speed the tail of the ski actually starts lifting causing the nose to dive. As soon as I felt the lift I knew what was going on...

The retard on the ski had left his fin block on. :crazy::Doh:

That's what I get for hurrying. Took the fin block off and got some good sets in. :thumbup:

I should have titled this thread "Stupidity On The Water" :lol: Earlier in the summer I had a guy ski with his iPhone in his pocket. That did not end well for the iPhone. :no: What stoopid™ thing have you done? I know I'm not the only one. :unsure: Atleast I hope I'm not.....

Stupidity loves company almost as much as Misery.

Few years back my buddy snapped his fin clean off without knowing. Kept falling, "man, this thing feels soooo squirley, what's gotten into me?..." It was hilarious to watch.

Got out to ski this evening (last minute type thing) with 40 minutes to ski before sunset and 3 guys that wanted to ski so needless to say we were rushing it a bit. Pop my ski out of the bag, place it on the swimstep, finish with the rest of the gear, and jump into my bindings. Into the water, take up the slack, "in gear...hit it".

So my driver was futzing with the PerfectPass and gave me a really slow up and before I knew what was happening the front of the ski sank and I went over. I ask him to hit it four to five times harder than that and pull # 2 is readied. Quicker up but same result. As the ski gets up on plane...BOOM...the tip dives and I'm OTF again. Grrrr....

One more try (now I'm getting pissed because I never miss my "ups"). I am really paying attention this time. Boat accelerates, ski comes up out of the hole, boat is gaining speed, and all of a sudden I feel it. Once up to speed the tail of the ski actually starts lifting causing the nose to dive. As soon as I felt the lift I knew what was going on...

The retard on the ski had left his fin block on. :crazy::Doh:

That's what I get for hurrying. Took the fin block off and got some good sets in. :thumbup:

I should have titled this thread "Stupidity On The Water" :lol: Earlier in the summer I had a guy ski with his iPhone in his pocket. That did not end well for the iPhone. :no: What stoopid™ thing have you done? I know I'm not the only one. :unsure: Atleast I hope I'm not.....

Stupidity loves company almost as much as Misery.

So did everyone get their set(s) in?

Stupid things I've done, this is right down my alley...hmm where do I start...?

In my 2 years of bu ownership, I've went swimming with 3 Blackberry's, 2 died and 1 recovered with limited functionality. I only rode a "new to me" wakeboard twice (loved it btw) before I left it on the swim platform and headed down the interstate. I recently found out that uber pumps don't float, actually they sink rather quickly. I'm sure I'll have more....

So did everyone get their set(s) in?

Yep. Though we might have pushed "official sunset" by a few minutes. :whistle:

Stupid things I've done, this is right down my alley...hmm where do I start...?

In my 2 years of bu ownership, I've went swimming with 3 Blackberry's, 2 died and 1 recovered with limited functionality. I only rode a "new to me" wakeboard twice (loved it btw) before I left it on the swim platform and headed down the interstate. I recently found out that uber pumps don't float, actually they sink rather quickly. I'm sure I'll have more....

If your signature is correct....you pull a Bu with a Bravada. :Tease3:

Hmmmm, well I recall a time probably 5-6 years ago. I got in my bindings & didn't check the mounts on the board. First wake crossing my left boot came completely off, completely disconnected from the board. To this day, I'm amazed that I didn't kill myself on that landing. After that, I've ALWAYS checked the mounts for tightness.

MalibuNation

Hmmmm, well I recall a time probably 5-6 years ago. I got in my bindings & didn't check the mounts on the board. First wake crossing my left boot came completely off, completely disconnected from the board. To this day, I'm amazed that I didn't kill myself on that landing. After that, I've ALWAYS checked the mounts for tightness.

The best crash this year was when the black caps came off the thumb screws that hold the boot to the board, then crash. Luckily I was driving and it didn't happen to me. Got some more thumb screws and the same thing happened. Went out and got some stainless screws and washer and that how I attached the boots to the board.

just yesterday i ran my barefoot set with the car keys tucked into the bib of my bi drysuit:whistle:.

can't imagine where i earned the good luck that kept them there for the run.

for those not familiar w bi drysuit there is a collar over the lower portion of the neck seal that serves no purpose other than dressage.

i knew when i tucked the keys in there that i'd forget them.

this old age thing ... i know a lot but i just can't remember it.

Two things--tried to splash the boat and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off the trailer. Really giving it the gas in reverse...the tie straps were still on. They really work! Second, changed the prop on dry land and put the old prop, bag, prop puller, wrench and extra cotter pins on the swim platform so I could put them back in the boat. Splashed the boat, forgot they were there...gone after a test run down the river. That was expensive!

Two things--tried to splash the boat and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off the trailer. Really giving it the gas in reverse...the tie straps were still on. They really work! Second, changed the prop on dry land and put the old prop, bag, prop puller, wrench and extra cotter pins on the swim platform so I could put them back in the boat. Splashed the boat, forgot they were there...gone after a test run down the river. That was expensive!

I love the tbreads like this one. Like chicken soup. I went wakesurfing with my phone. I was pulling up the anchor on a super windy day and before I new it the wind had blown us into the neighbor's dock.

Edited by Ruffdog

About 10 years ago I went skiing and forgot about the car keys in my pocket. They weren't there when I got done skiing. I had to borrow a phone from someone at the ramp and had my wife bring down the spare key. She was not amused. I always put my keys into a pack I bring with me - my 'boat pack', but I still do a pat down of my pockets before getting into the water.

About 10 years ago I went skiing and forgot about the car keys in my pocket. They weren't there when I got done skiing. I had to borrow a phone from someone at the ramp and had my wife bring down the spare key. She was not amused. I always put my keys into a pack I bring with me - my 'boat pack', but I still do a pat down of my pockets before getting into the water.

I did that too. Wife walked home 5 miles to get spare key for my truck, and I had to stay in the boat with my three kids. The sad part of the story is I had no one to drive the boat as the wind died and the lake became glass.

martinarcher

The best crash this year was when the black caps came off the thumb screws that hold the boot to the board, then crash. Luckily I was driving and it didn't happen to me. Got some more thumb screws and the same thing happened. Went out and got some stainless screws and washer and that how I attached the boots to the board.

That exact thing happened to us. We fixed the board the same way. Man those are whacky crashes with one boot flailing out away from the board. LOL.gif

On a prior boat 9 years ago:

I loaded the fam in the boat one night (wife plus 2 kids ages 1 and 2....you can imagine the prep work for that ride). Shove off the lift, getting everyone situated (here's your sippy--get off your brother--yes babe, here's your blanket--no, lets get the crackers out in a minute--that's daddy's seat...) Crank, no fire. Crank. Crank. Crank. The gas guage is on E. I have no gas at the house. The wind has pushed us 100 feet from the pier. I jump in, wearing sweats, swearing up a storm to myself, swim the boat in, help unpack everyone, they go in the house and I put it up for the night. I eventually get over it, and we do inside stuff. The next day, I put 10 gallons in and it starts to overflow. I check the guage-still on E. Yep, bump the lanyard...bingo!

Fortunatley I'm a pretty quick study and that's the last time a lanyard will ever get me.

martinarcher

On a prior boat 9 years ago:

I loaded the fam in the boat one night (wife plus 2 kids ages 1 and 2....you can imagine the prep work for that ride). Shove off the lift, getting everyone situated (here's your sippy--get off your brother--yes babe, here's your blanket--no, lets get the crackers out in a minute--that's daddy's seat...) Crank, no fire. Crank. Crank. Crank. The gas guage is on E. I have no gas at the house. The wind has pushed us 100 feet from the pier. I jump in, wearing sweats, swearing up a storm to myself, swim the boat in, help unpack everyone, they go in the house and I put it up for the night. I eventually get over it, and we do inside stuff. The next day, I put 10 gallons in and it starts to overflow. I check the guage-still on E. Yep, bump the lanyard...bingo!

Fortunatley I'm a pretty quick study and that's the last time a lanyard will ever get me.

Wow. That is a GOOD one!

Time to eliminate that pesky lanyard. I did it many years ago.

I was not going to tell this one but.

I got a new shorty this year. When I started to use it I started having problems with my get up and I don't miss many. Well this went on for 2 or 3 weeks. One night I failed 5 times and just climbed back on the boat so others could get a ski in. :Frustrated:

Well another day and more failed launches, after getting up and skiing I drooped and climb on the swim platform and my bud's start laughing. The crouch of the suit was blown out. It would load up with so much water I could not pull out of the water.

Went back to the old shorty and no problems. Now I am into a dry an still no problems.

The crouch of the suit was blown out. It would load up with so much water I could not pull out of the water.

:lol: And you couldn't feel the cold water rushing into your crotch? :shocked:

Edited by NorCaliBu

We used to do dock starts and beach landings at my parent's place growing up. There was about smooth transition to a 12 inch strip of small rocks between the water and the high water mark, which was a dirt ledge about 18 inches tall. When I was 11 I came in a little hot on a kneeboard and slid sideways over the rocks and into the ledge, resulting in a fantastic side roll to grass/brush landing. Worst part was I had unstrapped and tried to drag my foot to slow down, which didn't end well for my big toe coming across the rocks.

The next year I had lent my wakeboard to my friends, and wanting a little air time I jumped my slalom ski. Back foot slipped out of the strap and came down along the side of the ski, scraping that same big toe on the sharp edge where the top skin meets the side of the ski. I had to get back up on the slalom and basically ski in on my front foot so I wouldn't get blood all over my Dad's new boat.

Just this past Wednesday I backed my iRide with a 9' tower height into my 8' garage. No one is allowed to talk to me after I pull into the driveway anymore, and someone will get out to turn some lights on.

I did a dock start with a drysuit on and as I was getting up I heard (and felt) a tearing sound from behind me. When my set was done and I set down I was greeted with a nice dose of 40 degree water. My drysuit had caught on a nail head and tore a hole from my butt to my knee. That was an expensive mistake. No more drysuit dock starts!

Many stupid mistakes but none I can think of now. I will say I have gone skiing 7 times now with the same cellphone. And Yes I still use it. Cheap $80 cellphone. I'd love to update but you really can't argue it's worth.

For reference if anyones cellphone takes a swim, don't turn it on, take it apart and blow dry it to hell. Let it cool put it back together and give it a shot. 7/7. Knock on wood!

Also, last year, I started my ski season, give it a shot and don't make the up. No biggie, it's my first run of the season. Try again and I'm get up, start to make a ct and something feels off. Maybe it's the off season. I make 2 very poor cuts and than throw the rope. My uncle comes around says "thats it". I say "I find it easier with my left foot forward!"