Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fog engine or not?

Woodsprinter

I read many winterization procedures. I was puzzled by my BU dealer saying that My 08 Monsoon doesn't need to be engine fogged because it is fuel injected it can contaminate some of the sensors..

Also, the fuel filter is in tank so I dont need to service it and there is no water separator?

If so, I basically changed oil and oil filter, Walter transmisson fluid, adding Stabil fuel, drain the water from block, and unhook some hoses. That's it?

All engines should be fogged before an extended layup. Since you have catalytic converters you should fog through the individual cylinders.

Remove the spark plugs and spray oil fog and put them back?

Remove the spark plugs and spray oil fog and put them back?

Download the engine manual from the Resources tab, and then check the section on "Engine Layup".

For catalyst equipped engines, Indmar recommends fogging the cylinders directly.

Yup, pull the plugs and spray then pull out the safety laynard and bump the engine over to make sure the fogging oil hits the entire cylinder liner.

-Chris

My dealer uses this stuff. For you service, guys, let me know what you think, it sure beats the crap out of pulling spark plugs. They say it's fine for CATS. It seems too good to be true! I used it last year and didn't have any problems.

The purpose for fogging is to keep the internal parts rust free. Valve seats, piston rings and cylinder walls all are unsealed machined metal surfaces that if in contact with water or allowed to sit for an extended period of time will rust. The rust can or will be detrimental to the performance of the engine so they should be protected in this environment, thus the engine fogging procedure. The fogging is basically to put a coating of oil on the exposed, machined surfaces to protect them over the storage period. One reason for the "turn it over" process used by many car storers is to close the open valves and move the piston rings to a different spot on the cylinder wall. The injectors are really not part of the real process, you just have to determine how not to contaminate them when you do it.

Download the engine manual from the Resources tab, and then check the section on "Engine Layup".

For catalyst equipped engines, Indmar recommends fogging the cylinders directly.

Checked indmar manual. Yes you are right..

Yup, pull the plugs and spray then pull out the safety laynard and bump the engine over to make sure the fogging oil hits the entire cylinder liner.

-Chris

How much spray each cylinder?

My dealer uses this stuff. For you service, guys, let me know what you think, it sure beats the crap out of pulling spark plugs. They say it's fine for CATS. It seems too good to be true! I used it last year and didn't have any problems.

Nice. Fuel stabilizer & fogging oil, all in one. :rockon:

that sounds like a great product, i checked star-brite's site and didn't see anything about being fine for cats though.

Hopefully engine nut will chime in on this product.

that sounds like a great product, i checked star-brite's site and didn't see anything about being fine for cats though.

Hopefully engine nut will chime in on this product.

Agreed. I'd like to hear more.

Looks like West Marine is a bit over priced on it though. http://www.twinsrecreation.com/fs86864.html

:loser:

Which transmisson fluid For Walters V drive Walters I should use? The manual says Pennzoil SAE30 but BU dealer says normal dexron/mercron?

Agreed. I'd like to hear more.

Looks like West Marine is a bit over priced on it though. http://www.twinsrecr...om/fs86864.html

:loser:

Sundown Sport and Marine in Tri-Cities uses it on the catalyst boats. It seems like they wouldn't risk ruining components for a few extra bucks. Like I said, I used it last year and didn't have any coughing, or smoke this spring.

Which transmisson fluid For Walters V drive Walters I should use? The manual says Pennzoil SAE30 but BU dealer says normal dexron/mercron?

You don't have a Walters V-drive in an 08 LSV, you should have the ski-vee transmission which takes regular ATF.

One caveat - if you have the 8.1 I don't know if that engine changed from the walters to the ski-vee unit.

-Chris

You don't have a Walters V-drive in an 08 LSV, you should have the ski-vee transmission which takes regular ATF.

One caveat - if you have the 8.1 I don't know if that engine changed from the walters to the ski-vee unit.

-Chris

Really? I remember I had Walters V drive on my old 04 VLX with Monsoon. Ski-vee tranny is newer?

-Chris

Chris,

For clarification.... do you "bump" the engine before or after putting the plugs back in?

-Dave

(I'm thinking my go-to-guy is going to be too busy to help me winterize this year)

Putting the plugs back in makes sure the oil won't squirt all over your carpet.

And yes, MIT is keeping me pretty busy this fall, but if you need a hand give me a call we'll figure something out.

-Chris

I heard back from Larry (engine nut), he stated that he has never used or tested this material, so he cannot comment on it. The Indmar recommendation is Sta-bil.

I talked to one of the mechanics at CdA Yacht Club & they are talking about using it too. A buddy of mine (07 XTI owner) & I stopped by West Marine at lunch & picked some up. They had both the West Marine brand & Starbrite brand. So we'll see how it goes. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Chris,

For clarification.... do you "bump" the engine before or after putting the plugs back in?

-Dave

(I'm thinking my go-to-guy is going to be too busy to help me winterize this year)

Hi Dave, i sent u a pm

martinarcher

Chris,

-Dave

Leave the plug out and turn the engine over a rev or two. If you squirt too much oil int he cylinder it is not big deal (this will shoot any excess out - I've never had any come out (1-2 sec shot of oil is what I use)).

If you over do it with oil in the cylinder and then put the plug back in and roll the engine you could hydrolock the engine. Just don;t go nuts with the fogging oil. If a little is good, more is not better in this case. Biggrin.gif You just want enough to coat the cylinder wall when the piston goes through a stroke when you roll the engine over.

I am thinking that my winterization plan is going to be to get out skiing at least once every month and put my drysuit to work. I hit December 2009 and January 2010, so if I can do that, I should be able to get out monthly...

In that case I probably won't drain the block unless I go on a trip in Feb. and it is really cold here (cold like it is in Spokane all winter long)!

I will probably just go with the West Marine stuff or just keep using the blue StaBil.

Edited by MalibuTime