Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X Tower Bushings

Wakechaser

Illusion X tower bushings are hard to come be these days. What is everyone using for a substitute? What material are they made out of? I have some access to Delrin, Teflon and some other plastics if I need to fab some, but I haven't pulled it apart yet to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks!

Nevermind, I got lucky. Yesterday when we were out I noticed a little play to the rear with my tower. Got home to today and before I took it apart I gave the allen bolts a turn and both of them were really loose. Tightened them and made an adjustment to the set screws and I'm good as new!

These bushing are now availible through Malibu and your local dealer. About one month ago Malibu got their first shipment in. They are having XPT make them to original Metcraft standards. Pricy though. FYI, Just putting this out there for others...

Any word if Bakes has them?

I called Bakes yesterday and they don't have them. He acutally directed me here to see what people have been doing in the meantime, thus the post.

Yep, they are now available from Malibu so dealers can order them for you. We just ordered and recieved a set for a customer last week.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my bushings and they were more like $53.00 When I got them home, the front bushing fit OK but the rear bushing diameter was all wrong. The size of the Pin hole was correct, but the outer diameter was supposed to be about 1 inch and it was only a half inch or so. When I called Malibu to see if I got the wrong ones, they said XPT was making them and that was all they had available. So I am wondering if MetalCraft made rear bushing holes of two different diameters and I have the oddball that will never be serviced. Can anyone enlighten me as to the outside diameter of your rear push in bushings and where I can get them? Funny thing is that Malibu actually sent me here for an answer and said "the malibucrew seems to find things that we can't find....I don't know how they do it." So Kudos to the crew who has now become the tail wagging the dog!

Edited by Macutak

I just solved my own issue looking a little deeper on another forum titled "Will somebody just drop their Illusion XS and take a couple of pics already! Release pin bushing pics needed"  Seems my tower is one that only had one bushing and the new one they sent fits inside of that bushing as pictured on this other discussion.  So I will try that and hope my outer bushings are not too oblong for it to not do any good.  Does anyone know if they sell the outer bushings as well?

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/Macutak/IMG_0083.jpg

Edited by Macutak

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff382/Macutak/IMG_0085.jpg

So I guess I did not really solve it after all. The new inner bushing would not fit inside my outer bushing. I had to drill it using a 5/8ths bit and even then worked it a little more before it would fit loosely into the outer bushing. Then when I went to put it all together the pin would not go in. I tapped it in and now it will be tough to get it out. It was tough to lift the tower back up because I now had bushings on both sides and even though I got the pin in on one side, I can't get it all to line up on the other side. What the heck have I done and why is this so difficult? I am sure it is something I have done. I saw others who went to a different supplier and even ordered brass instead of plastic, but the web site that was provided does not seem to have any of the dimensions I measured out of the old bushing using calipers. Take a look at the photo and see if you can see what I am doing wrong.

for your tower, you need the smaller bushing and then a plastic washer type adaptor that goes on the other side. i believe that the longer bushing is for the XS tower.

Any Idea where I get them? Does Malibu have them?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. My wife's GreatGrandfather passed away and her Grandfather had 2 heart attacks, so this slipped my mind.

Here are two shots of the parts for the rear bushings in the Illusion X. the 'Washer' that you need, is on the left. I dont have a pic of the front bushing unfortunately.

TowerBushingProfile.jpg

TowerBushingSideprofile.jpg

• 3 weeks later...