Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Top speed question

malinator

Sounds to me like you might be hitting the rev limiter and be underpropped.

«need more pitch, my 21 vlx does 42 at 5200 and I also hit the rev. What is your diameter and prop. pitch? :rockon:

05 23 LSV MONSOON 5300 RPM 36 MPH. I dont think this is the origanal prop. What does everyone else think?

I Think you need to pull up the anchor, what prop are you running?

The boat is in the water for another week or 2 and will check prop size at end of season. My guess is this is not the stock prop. I thought she should be good for 45 mph from factory (I am 2nd owner), can only think of going faster than 30 when wife is not in boat anyway.

Also, when you do check it, look for repair signatures. They will be hand-stamped numbers on the outside of the hub between the blades. My boat came with a ruined prop and when I measured it, it was down from 13 to 11 inches in diameter. I found four repair stamps on it. My pics of the new and old prop side by side are pretty dramatic. And of course, so was performance.

And yes, always check speed with GPS to be sure.

Thats intresting about prop repair. I only glanced at it when I bought the boat and it looked to be in very good condition. Only remember what my old merc aluminum prop looked like so I am not sure what this should look like, for 5 yrs and low hrs. although nut and cotter pin looked new. As for MPH I am going by perfect pass display not speedometer. How does perfect pass calculate speed? GPS?

Thats intresting about prop repair. I only glanced at it when I bought the boat and it looked to be in very good condition. Only remember what my old merc aluminum prop looked like so I am not sure what this should look like, for 5 yrs and low hrs. although nut and cotter pin looked new. As for MPH I am going by perfect pass display not speedometer. How does perfect pass calculate speed? GPS?

Depends on your version of PP. Older versions of PP use the paddle wheel the newer Stargazer uses GPS.

Depends on your version of PP. Older versions of PP use the paddle wheel the newer Stargazer uses GPS.

I was under the impression that PP classic only used the paddle wheel for trick..and maybe jump mode(no idea about wakeboard mode). The speedo for slalom mode is calibrated with RPM's based on timing through the slalom course. I could be wrong though. For example if you run through the slalom course and the speedo says 38 when you want it to say 36, if the timing is within tolerance you just click calibrate on the speed.

Edited by Wakes

I was under the impression that PP classic only used the paddle wheel for trick..and maybe jump mode(no idea about wakeboard mode). The speedo for slalom mode is calibrated with RPM's based on timing through the slalom course. I could be wrong though. For example if you run through the slalom course and the speedo says 38 when you want it to say 36, if the timing is within tolerance you just click calibrate on the speed.

I think thats right. I was just trying to say that if you are headed down the lake at WOT the mph on the screen comes from the paddle wheel. What is used to control speed (paddle wheel vs. rpm) is like you said.