Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Malibu Crossover - Heavy on Boarding

dkb1206

Oh yeh, another vote for 65' line length on the diamond hull, that seems to be the sweet spot. 65', around 22 mph, ballast full, "human ballast" distributed evenly, and power wedge clicked up to Max..... you should be good to go. Also, we do keep anyone out of the bow of the boat while boarding and surfing.... move em to the back.

I've tried your setup.... That much air scared the __ out of me. Now I use the power wedge 2 clicks up from fully deployed. That gives me a tall, firm wake without as much vertical lip.

My VTX setups with a Wake hull...

wakeboarding... 33% of water time

front, rear, and center ballast full

power wedge 2 clicks up from down posistion

21 MPH

65 ft line

Skiing... 2% of water time

no ballast....sometimes add front ballast to ballance rear passengers

32 MPH

No wedge

Surfing... 63% of water time

front, rear (surf side), and center ballast full

1100 lb sack in the rear compartment filled to max compartment size.

400 lb in walkway

400 lb on surf side rear seat

10.4 to 11 MPH

No wedge

all VAB on surf side

Tubing 5% of water time

Anything goes...!

Great advice. I actually had my wife and 3 small kids in the bow while I was boarding, only two other guys in the cabin. They were using it like a playpen up there. I was clearly going too fast, wrong weight distribution, wedge all the way down and on a long line. Like I said, I was still getting across, just wasn't having as much fun as I wanted to be having w/ more pop. I like the idea of adding ballast to get the wake a bit more vertical. If it'll do it, I think I could play w/ that and probably be pretty happy overall w/ the boat. I do want to consider a VLX, though, w/ CD hull.

Just keep in mind the VLX is slightly wider and longer which will change the wake, but I'd get out on the VTX w/ the added changes so you can get a much more even comparison. Weight in the front doesn't make the wake smaller just creates more of a rampy wake.

I've tried your setup.... That much air scared the __ out of me. Now I use the power wedge 2 clicks up from fully deployed. That gives me a tall, firm wake without as much vertical lip.

My VTX setups with a Wake hull...

wakeboarding... 33% of water time

front, rear, and center ballast full

power wedge 2 clicks up from down posistion

21 MPH

65 ft line

Skiing... 2% of water time

no ballast....sometimes add front ballast to ballance rear passengers

32 MPH

No wedge

Surfing... 63% of water time

front, rear (surf side), and center ballast full

1100 lb sack in the rear compartment filled to max compartment size.

400 lb in walkway

400 lb on surf side rear seat

10.4 to 11 MPH

No wedge

all VAB on surf side

Tubing 5% of water time

Anything goes...!

More tubing time than skiing......shame... :tease2:

Hey all,

First time poster here. I have a fun dilemma. I'm looking for the right boat for me and the family. We wakeboard 70% of the time, ski 30% and will probably surf with our next boat. I've been on a few boats so far and would like to get into a Malibu since the dealership is 4 miles from our house. Here's what I've been on so far and my take to this point on each:

*2003 XTI: nice ski wake, not big enough board wake. Space on boat didn't feel right (too segmented)

*2003 Mastercraft X2 (new X1 hull): ok ski wake (a bit firm), fantastic board wake, small boat and the wife would like a bit more room in the cabin and bow. I liked this boat because of the board wake and a ski wake I could probably sacrafice a bit.

*2007 VTX (diamond hull): awesome ski wake, the board wake was really mellow. Not sure if the guy didn't know how to work the wedge or not, but the wake was as bad as the XTI's. I loved this boat in terms of size, interior, ski wake. I can't stomach the board wake that I saw.

*2008 Moomba Mobius LS: Direct drive they quit making. Pretty nice boat for both boarding and skiing, but would prefer a vdrive.

QUESTION: Is there another boat out there I should consider, Malibu or not? If I add a couple 500lb sacs in the back of the VTX w/ the diamond hull will I like the wakeboard wake or am I wasting my time? Should I consider the other version of the VTX w/ the V25? What am I missing here? I would rather sacrafice a bit the ski wake instead of the board wake if I have to at all. If you tell me the diamond hull can really ramp up and shoot me w/ more weight I'd be pretty excited, but I am doubting it at this point. Thanks everyone!

You might also consider the original Vride 21ft. SV23 Wake hull. Very skiable at 33-35 mph excellent wakeboard wake with stock ballast the power wedge only makes it better and a very surfable boat much better than either the VTX, X1 or X2. Big plus its also 10k plus cheaper than the other options mentioned.

That would be a 2008 Vride or earlier as a great crossover boat. You might even find a new one somewhere out there. There are plenty of barely used.

That would be a 2008 Vride or earlier as a great crossover boat. You might even find a new one somewhere out there. There are plenty of barely used.

Interesting. I've wondered about the VRide. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

Interesting. I've wondered about the VRide. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!

Just remeber 2005-2008 model year only ,in 2009 the Vride was the 2005 Vlx at 21'6" and 98" beam 3600lbs. Great boarding and surfing, but skiability is really not there. Wake is to hard and to big at any reasonable speed. 2005-2008 Vride is 21' and 93.5" beam 3000lbs. and quite a bit lighter. Even the VTX is 300lbs. heavier at 20' and 98" beam 3300lbs. For comparison the response lxi is 20'6" 93.5" beam and 2800lbs. and of course a direct drive which helps immensely with skiing, but sacrificing boarding and surfing.

Edited by Surfin247

I have a 09 VTX diamnond hull. Quite happy with the wake but it you want a little more perhaps the VLX diamond hull. I was surprized that the ski wake wasnt that bad, I just added 1/2 front ballast to bring the nose down. I think if you truly want a bigger wake go to the VLX, it is still skiable but the wakeboard wake is just that much better.

I have a 09 VTX diamnond hull. Quite happy with the wake but it you want a little more perhaps the VLX diamond hull. I was surprized that the ski wake wasnt that bad, I just added 1/2 front ballast to bring the nose down. I think if you truly want a bigger wake go to the VLX, it is still skiable but the wakeboard wake is just that much better.

I'm going back out on a 2007 or a 2008 VTX w/ diamond hull this Saturday. I appreciate the VLX comment. Have you considered throwing 500lb sacks in the back of your VTX on both sides and on switches?