Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yaght Crash in Portland

MalibuKarl

Can you say OUCH!! Take a look at this article where this 48ft Yaght crashed into rocks at around 30 mph - amazing the hull is still in tact!! Hope our Bu's are built that tough (Not that I EVER want this to happen to any of us - but wow!!)

http://www.oregonlive.com/milwaukie/index.ssf/2010/09/willamette_river_boater_launches_48-foot_yacht_onto_the_rocks_1.html

post-11426-128578271715_thumb.jpg

Can you say OUCH!! Take a look at this article where this 48ft Yaght crashed into rocks at around 30 mph - amazing the hull is still in tact!! Hope our Bu's are built that tough (Not that I EVER want this to happen to any of us - but wow!!)

http://www.oregonlive.com/milwaukie/index.ssf/2010/09/willamette_river_boater_launches_48-foot_yacht_onto_the_rocks_1.html

Wow that sucks. I do know that the bu hulls are that tough. The guy that bought my 06vlx ran it up on a rock bar at 40 mph and it did crack the fiberglass but didn't exactly punch holes or tear holes through the boat. I'd imagine the damage is much greater than it looks like in the pics. The repair bill for the vlx was almost $20k all said and done.

If you look close at the picture, it sure looks like it's been photoshopped a lot for some reason.

From the guy in the foreground of the boat, all the way to the back of the boat has been "re-touched" in a major way.

In fact, I'm wondering if the whole boat pic was pasted on top of the rock picture.

Steve B.

If you look close at the picture, it sure looks like it's been photoshopped a lot for some reason.

From the guy in the foreground of the boat, all the way to the back of the boat has been "re-touched" in a major way.

In fact, I'm wondering if the whole boat pic was pasted on top of the rock picture.

Steve B.

I initially thought that looked strange as well. click on the link and take a look at all the photos - shows "incident" much better.

Karl

Yea, maybe 38'.... either way, what a drag.

Surface drives give it away, its a 48' fountain express cruiser, runs over $1 million when its not ontop of a bunch of rocks.

Steve B.

my first reaction, after reading your "re-touched" and looking at the pix again, was "yes, i can see that".

but, looking closer, i'm thinking that the light spots are reflections (guy in foreground and sky above tree line).

i'm not big into photoshop. just guessing.

Edited by tvano

Surface drives give it away, its a 48' fountain express cruiser, runs over $1 million when its not ontop of a bunch of rocks.

...bet that guy feels like a MILLION BUCKS now!

...bet that guy feels like a MILLION BUCKS now!

Can a helicopter lift that? I know they used one to lift a stranded Mastercraft a few years ago.

They also use them to lower equipment onto tall buildings.

I can't imagine a helicopter could lift that, but then again I don't know anything about helicopters :)

If a helicopter can carry a tank it can probably handle a boat. :)

post-45-128606513984_thumb.jpg

Fountain 48 Express Cruiser Specifications Length Overall 48' 6'' Dry Weight 22,000 lbs.

Beam 12' 0'' Fuel Cap 457 gal.

Draft 3' 2'' Water Cap 80 gal.

Deadrise/Transom 22 deg. Bridge Clearance ~

Max Headroom 6' 5''

That aircraft is an Erikson Sky Crane, and only capable of 20,000 pounds.

The US Military CH-47 can lift 28,000.

The US Military CH-53 can lift 32,000.

(no idea what a tank weighs...)

CH54A Sky Crane could lift 20,700 lbs

CH54B Sky Crane could lift over 40,000 lbs

I have no idea which copter that one is. :unsure: Doesn't matter. My point was simply that there are helicopters that CAN lift that payload. I refuse to sit here and argue with you about the payload of the exact helicopter pictured.

:crazy: "Dee Dee Dee". :crazy:

EDIT: The M551 Sheridan tank that is shown weighs in at 15.2 tons / 30,400 lbs

Edited by NorCaliBu

Wasn't trying to argue, just showing the capabilities of some current helicopters.

I was also surprised at the dry weight of that boat.

3 big heavy diesel engines, 3 transmissions, 3 surface drives, size, weight of all the amenities, fuel tanks holding tanks...Its (gross weight)gets there fast.

It is a beauty though!

No wonder its development put Fountain Boats in the poor house.

http://www.witn.com/beaufortcounty/headlines/63294502.html