Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Tank for Winterization

We don't really know exactly when we'll wrap it up for the winter. Or exactly how long we'll leave the boat in storage. So I usually start running Stabil around late October or November. That way whenever we wrap it up, the fuel situation is done.

Since all the issues with ethanol in the gas, I don't usually keep the tank full. Last year it had like 1/3rd of a tank when the boat was stored. In the spring the boat started right up & ran fine. I topped the tank off with fresh gas & never had an issue.

We don't really know exactly when we'll wrap it up for the winter. Or exactly how long we'll leave the boat in storage. So I usually start running Stabil around late October or November. That way whenever we wrap it up, the fuel situation is done.

Since all the issues with ethanol in the gas, I don't usually keep the tank full. Last year it had like 1/3rd of a tank when the boat was stored. In the spring the boat started right up & ran fine. I topped the tank off with fresh gas & never had an issue.

:plus1: I do the same thing and have never had a problem.

empty as you can get it, you do not want a full tank of ethanol next spring.

Condensation in the tanks was more of a problem with the older aluminum tanks, the composite tanks in our boats are less prone to this problem.

-Chris

I think the most common advice I hear others share is to fill the tank as full as she can go to eliminate the air space that will allow condensation and add water to the fuel system over the winter.

I don't know much, and I try not to offer advice, but if you are interested in what I do - I go in to winter with my fuel tank as empty as I can possibly get it. I personally accept the condensation risk, but prefer to gas up with a full tank of fresh fuel in the spring and change out my fuel/water separator after the first tank is done. And I do stabil the fuel that is in there of course. In my opinion, that beats running the first tank of crappy 6-month-old gasoline.

Condensation in the tanks was more of a problem with the older aluminum tanks, the composite tanks in our boats are less prone to this problem.

-Chris

I thought the reason ethanol fuel was bad was because of condensation? A full tank will reduce the amount of condensation as well, right?

What are the main problems with ethanol fuel that is 6-7 months old? Assuming it has been treated with some sort of stabilizer.

I usually fill my tank w/ premium(92-93 octane, ethanol free) and add startron fuel treatment before winterization.

In recent years we didn't really know what was going to happen with the ethanol over the winter. Supposedly it absorbs a ton of moisture on it's own, compounding the problem. And who wants a full tank of contaminated gas? So treating it, and running the boat as empty as possible reduces the risk. Seems to have worked so far.

As for getting gas without ethanol in it...... hmm, good luck. We wouldn't ski at all if that had to happen.

This pretty much sums up the fuel issue for winter.

Is it better to store my boat over winter with a full tank of gas or leave it near empty? (Obviously adding stabil to the tank if full)

Is that you Jeff?

I normally keep my tank full for the winter, but the more reading I do, I think I'm going to keep mine near empty this year.

For stabilizer, avoid Stabil. I've heard it really only works to stabilize the fuel for a few months. Sea Foam is supposed to be a better long term stabilizer. Plus, you can run it to clean your injectors for a while before storage. In the past, I've used Sea Foam as a stabilizer. Once I've run through that gas in the tank that was there when I stored it, I added Sea Foam to the next tank of fresh gas as well.... It's a good injector cleaner...

Is it better to store my boat over winter with a full tank of gas or leave it near empty? (Obviously adding stabil to the tank if full)

It does not matter one bit either way. Just make sure you put in the right ammount of Stabil marine blend and run the boat when you winterize to get it into the fuel system. All will be well the next time you fire the boat up.

Stabil is now available in a "marine" version which is formulated specifically for fuels containing ethanol. The marine version is blue vs the auto version which is red.

I've stored the boat both ways and have never had a problem (using Stabil)... I do store inside, so I don't have quite as much moisture or as rapid & sever swings of temp as someone storing their boat shrink wrapped and sitting in the sun.

Edited by wienrdog

Stabil is now available in a "marine" version which is formulated specifically for fuels containing ethanol. The marine version is blue vs the auto version which is red.

Plus1.gif A bottle of the marine Stabil goes a lot further as well. It treats 80 gallons. I think the red stuff did 25 gallons. I can't remember exactly, but I know the marine stuff is way more concentrated so your money goes further.

... the marine stuff is way more concentrated so your money goes further.

The marine Stabil (blue) is 1oz per 5 gallons of gas vs the reg Stabil (red) is 2oz per 5 gls.

Is that you Jeff?

I normally keep my tank full for the winter, but the more reading I do, I think I'm going to keep mine near empty this year.

For stabilizer, avoid Stabil. I've heard it really only works to stabilize the fuel for a few months. Sea Foam is supposed to be a better long term stabilizer. Plus, you can run it to clean your injectors for a while before storage. In the past, I've used Sea Foam as a stabilizer. Once I've run through that gas in the tank that was there when I stored it, I added Sea Foam to the next tank of fresh gas as well.... It's a good injector cleaner...

Yes it is me. :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Such a shame to be putting the boat away so soon. I think this winter we're going to find some new dry suits in the closet so that we can go longer next year. :rockon:

Yeah, I still don't know about that Stabil stuff.... I used it years ago in sleds and boats for storage and was never impressed. I always had problems starting them in the spring or fall depending on the toy... I switched to Sea Foam for stabilizer and haven't had a problem since.

A couple days ago, I pulled a sled out of storage that I was getting ready to sell (The wife's Ski Doo 600SDI that's getting replaced). It's gas was stabilized with Sea Foam, and ran to get it into the injectors last spring when I put it away. After putting the clutches back on the sled, and the battery back in, it started FIRST PULL... This is the norm since I started using Sea Foam. I think I'll stick with it....

Yeah, I still don't know about that Stabil stuff.... I used it years ago in sleds and boats for storage and was never impressed. I always had problems starting them in the spring or fall depending on the toy... I switched to Sea Foam for stabilizer and haven't had a problem since.

A couple days ago, I pulled a sled out of storage that I was getting ready to sell (The wife's Ski Doo 600SDI that's getting replaced). It's gas was stabilized with Sea Foam, and ran to get it into the injectors last spring when I put it away. After putting the clutches back on the sled, and the battery back in, it started FIRST PULL... This is the norm since I started using Sea Foam. I think I'll stick with it....

It's funny how our own experieinces block out what others experience.

I've only used SeaFoam a couple times. Once on an old car that had like 100,000 miles on it, and had never been tuned up. After I tuned it up, I ran a can of SeaFoam thru it (sucking it up thru the power brake vacuum hose). That car spewed a cloud of crap out the assend so thick that it hung around the cul-de-sac around my house for an hour. The neighbors all came out to see what was on fire. I couldn't believe it. :Doh:

But the car ran great after that.

I haven't had any issues with the red Stabil & have yet to even use the blue. But I only winterize for about 4 months too.

As full as it can get, with a heavy dose of stabilizer. When we get a bad ice storm here it sure is nice to know that I've got an extra 50 gallons of gas in the boat to run the generator or tractor if I need it. Boat only sits 4 or 5 months, and I've never had a problem. In the spring I'll run it to half a tank give or take and then fill it full of fresh stuff.

martinarcher

I was at that store that starts with a W :vomit: I saw 2 stabil options. The red automotive option for $5 and the green ethanol option for $10. Are you guys saying there's another Stabil option that is blue for marine use?

The blue stuff is what you want. If you look close it says marine on it and will treat 5 times as much fuel as the red stuff.

martinarcher

It's funny how our own experieinces block out what others experience.

I've only used SeaFoam a couple times. Once on an old car that had like 100,000 miles on it, and had never been tuned up. After I tuned it up, I ran a can of SeaFoam thru it (sucking it up thru the power brake vacuum hose). That car spewed a cloud of crap out the assend so thick that it hung around the cul-de-sac around my house for an hour. The neighbors all came out to see what was on fire. I couldn't believe it. :Doh:

But the car ran great after that.

I haven't had any issues with the red Stabil & have yet to even use the blue. But I only winterize for about 4 months too.

Been there done that. I sucked it up through the brake booster line and then shut the car off for 10 min and let the Seafoam work at the crud int he intake manifold. Started it up and drove it like I stole it. Smoked like Bill said...looked like the whole car must be on fire, but after the smoke calmed down it idled much smoother and the throttle response was back to normal instead of it's new sluggish self.

-Chris

Amen brother!!!!!!!!!!!