Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Protection?

Soon2BV

Does anyone have a good solution for protecting the front of the boat when you are in a dock? This is really for when we are at a lake and pull into a slip for a short time (marina, lunch, etc.). Usually these are double wide slips and we are not able to tie the boat back far enough to keep it away from the front if waves come in.

Right now I usually try to hang a boat cushion over the front, but this doesn't work very well.

Anyone found an easy solution?

Back the boat in the slip. And run a line from the stern loop to the open end of the dock, pulling the boat away from the dock.

You could do the same thing pulling in bow first too. I just like people getting in/out of the boat off the swimstep better.

This picture is in a double wide slip, using our PVC method, that we don't take with us camping. I use a couple of big bumpers instead of the PVC. But the ropes are the same.

moored.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I usually dock in slips like that on extended trips. I just use a 'spring line' from a rear connection point to the drivers cleat & it doesn't move forward at all.

I only do this if I'm not able to tie down to point(s) so the ropes attach in different directions.

e.g. From a center point to front & rear cleats.

To respective cleats from tie downs in front of front cleat and behind rear cleat.

Get a couple of G5 size boat fenders. Maybe three, and the third can be a G-4 if you have storage issues.

http://www.polyformus.com/doc/product_gseries.htm

Get a couple of the 15' long docking lines in 3/8" to 1/2" size with the preformed eyesplice loop.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?group=71495&product=102759

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-18173-seasense-12x15-d-braid-dockline-black-50013096.aspx

Put the preformed loop through end # one of the fender and run the line over the fender to the other end # two.

Tie a series of half-hitches around the line back towards end # one until your rope is parallel to the body of the fender.

This way your fender will hang properly to give maximum protection to your boat.

This also allows you different ways to hang your fender from different positions to get maximum protection.

Further the 9 foot tail left from your original 15 foot mooring line will allow you to install a fender and mooring line simultaneously for the quick dock stop like gas refill, etc. When you tie or loop your fender line to your cleat you also have a 9 foot tail to tie off with.

In addition, I found that this worked best by having two 15' nylon mooring lines as well.

I have found this to be the best setup for fenders in 51 years of boating.

If you have trouble vizualizing this you can: Email me at: [email protected]

I usually dock in slips like that on extended trips. I just use a 'spring line' from a rear connection point to the drivers cleat & it doesn't move forward at all.

I only do this if I'm not able to tie down to point(s) so the ropes attach in different directions.

e.g. From a center point to front & rear cleats.

To respective cleats from tie downs in front of front cleat and behind rear cleat.

:plus1: On the 'spring line'. Never had a problem doing this. Used spring lines on our sail boat all the time.