Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock Malibu Boat Cover

Sunscape fan

Ok, who the heck designed the stock Malibu boat cover??? My boat had to sit outside last night and I think we got something like 20mm of rain. Well I couldn't stop the water from pooling on the cover right at the Illusion tower posts. Nothing worked. I tried raising the tent poles, lowering the tent poles, repositioning the tent poles, nothing. Still got pooling to the point it started to spill over the stretchy part that goes around the tower and into the boat :Frustrated: Finally I jacked the front of the boat up so that it was on a steep angle. Finally that was enough to get the water to spill over the mound and run off the back and side of the boat. There has to be another way of doing things!!! Normally, the boat sits under a cover and doesn't get rained on, but what is gonna happen if I go on a trip and get rained on? Who the heck designed this thing!?!?!? :mad::Frustrated::rant:

Same thing with mine. Had it on the lake on a trip and it poured and it spilled in around the tower wraps.... I always keep it inside but it was frustrating that day. Not sure what would help? Guess you could tape/wrap it in a pinch but not a permanent solution.

Wonder what people do who keep em outside majority of time?

i love my evolution, it is better in so many ways to the stock cover, but if that is not an option for you, then i would suggest having your cover modified. Have more straps added along the back so the pull from the windshield to the back of the boat is tight all the way across.

like this:

DSCN0725.JPG

Edited by Cervelo

I've got a solution to your problem, you need to move out of Maple Ridge. It's 4 seasons of rain in that town. I moved from there 10 years ago up to the sunny okanagan. Way less rain up here so we dont have to worry about the cover. :tease1: Just kiddin, I have the same problem, just have to stay on top of it. I am going to get a custom cover built for mine, so the water won't pool anymore. :cheers:

I've got a solution to your problem, you need to move out of Maple Ridge. It's 4 seasons of rain in that town. I moved from there 10 years ago up to the sunny okanagan. Way less rain up here so we dont have to worry about the cover. :tease1: Just kiddin, I have the same problem, just have to stay on top of it. I am going to get a custom cover built for mine, so the water won't pool anymore. :cheers:

I know what you mean. I've lived in Maple Ridge all my life and since we are close to the mountains, it can sometimes be a bit rainy. I have thought about getting an evolution cover many times. The problem is I accidently told my wife what they cost :oops::Doh::cry: So now I kinda have to wait a bit and try to justify the cost to her. She wants to go for a trip with the boat up to Shuswap lake or Christina lake and I won't take the boat until I have a towable cover for it. The Malibu cover is definately not a towable cover. I was thinking of getting it modified around the tower openings, but I think I'd rather just get an evolution cover. I've heard nothing but great things about them on here. A little more convincing and maybe I'll be able to get one... :whistle:

I have a stock Malibu cover and I have found that pulling the back of the cover over the transom bolts and jacking it up to near the maximum height has eliminated that problem. The dealer turned me on to pulling the cover down over the bolts(not sure of the proper name for the u shaped bolts to hold the transom pad

I have a stock Malibu cover and I have found that pulling the back of the cover over the transom bolts and jacking it up to near the maximum height has eliminated that problem. The dealer turned me on to pulling the cover down over the bolts(not sure of the proper name for the u shaped bolts to hold the transom pad

They're called "D" rings. I'm not sure my cover would fit over them. I could try but I don't think I want to stretch it that far.

Just as a point for clarification, try to always post what brand of product you have. Currently Malibu offers the Commercial Sewing covers as an option, but there is no "stock" factory cover. Like myself, a number of dealers prefer other brand covers and therefore only offer their preference, such as Great Lakes, Evolution, etc.

Peter :)

Same problem with my stock cover.

I ended up using a small single person tube to support the cover, pulling the cover over the D-Rings and I also treated my cover, this has kept most of the water from pooling.

Around the tower legs I use 2 inch binder clips. I pull the material up on the backside of the tower leg and then clip it. This seems to work pretty.

After all this jerking around I ended up buying an evolution cover; Corey is a great guy to deal with.

Edited by Kingfish