Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help update stock CIPA rearview mirror

christopher_kenn

My 04 response LXi delivered with a CIPA rearview mirror with a 'U' shaped mount and attached to the the pass through wind shield with with the rounded chromed mounting points. You probably know exactly what I am talking about.

Well, the mirror is sized and shaped to really only see the skier when he/she is behind the boat. What I would really like to do here is replace the mirror, keep the mount points and 'U' bracket as is and just replace the mirror and mirror housing with one that is either a 3 piece adjustable mirror or a wider mirror that is convex so that I can see the skier at all points in the course. Has anyone found a solution similar to my requirements. I can visualize a clip-on or even a replacement mirror that would fit my stock mirror frame. But has anyone found a wider/convex mirror that can mount to the existing bracket? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

The Cipa Extreme mirror is what you're looking for.

Cipa Extreme on Amazon.com

Wow. That is a killer price. I bought one when they were $100 and the rage. The single mirror CIPA is what I have now and like it better for boarding. I think the CIPA Extreme is better for slalom as you can see the skier round the buoy in the side mirrors, but there is certainly a blind spot as the skier passes between mirrors (side mirrors and main center mirror). I have the single CIPA on the new boat (like the one Bill is selling) and like it better because it still shows a very wide view (not quite wide enough to see the turn around the buoy but close), and still allows a much bigger picture than the CIPA Extreme.

Both mirrors are awesome, just depends if you want the Extremely wide angle view or a larger image in the mirror itself.

The Cipa Extreme mirror is what you're looking for.

Cipa Extreme on Amazon.com

I appreciate your timely reply. I forgot to mention that I have tried your suggestion. I just received the CIPA-M2022 mirror as ordered from Overton's. I have already boxed it up for a return. The mirror's frame is designed to be joined in a ball and socket manner to 'universal' mount. I tried to install it today and found it woefully lacking my needs.

1. The mount will rub or even scratch or break the passenger's side wrap around wind shield when the pass through window is opened.

2. The plastic spacer that integrates into the clamping mechanism is too thick to fit as designed for the Malibu rounded wind shield frame.

3. It looks like an after-market, after-thought, bolt-on, crappy solution. After we are talking about a Malibu not a Bayliner (my apologies to all you Bayliner owners, but face the facts).

3. It looks like an after-market, after-thought, bolt-on, crappy solution. After we are talking about a Malibu not a Bayliner (my apologies to all you Bayliner owners, but face the facts).

:lol: so much for candy-coating. :lol:

I didn't say it was a quality unit. Glad to get the feedback as I have been struggling with the exact same issue and have been wondering about the Cipa Extreme. My solution is going to be to buy an additional Cipa Comp with the exact same mount as the stock mirror and just run two mirrors.

RE to: I didn't say it was a quality unit. Glad to get the feedback as I have been struggling with the exact same issue and have been wondering about the Cipa Extreme. My solution is going to be to buy an additional Cipa Comp with the exact same mount as the stock mirror and just run two mirrors.

Did not mean to be such a SNOB (no cut on the Ski Natutque Open Bow) about the Cipa after market item. I actually like the mirror size, shape, and design. Just not the mounting.

Anyway, your solution sounds interesting. Tell me where tou are planning to mount your duel mirror solution. Will you keep your original mirror in it's center mounting position? If you are planning to move it, waht will you do about the screw holes left in the frame? I am 6'8" and my head is above the wind shield frame when at the helm.

Tell me where you are planning to mount your dual mirror solution. Will you keep your original mirror in it's center mounting position? If you are planning to move it, what will you do about the screw holes left in the frame? I am 6'8" and my head is above the wind shield frame when at the helm.

Older mirrors didn't have the permanent mount brackets. They just had a U clamp that pinched the windshield frame. My plan is to put one on the drivers section of the windshield (not sure on exact location yet) and the second on the center section toward the port side hinges. I'm not 6'8" and my head is not above the windshield. :no::lol:

If your boat has a tower you might want to look into using two tower mount brackets (one on each front leg of the tower). I'm a slalom guy and have no desire for a tower so not one of my options.

I've struggled with this exact same issue. I've had the Cipa Extreme mirror sitting in my basement for a few years - doesn't work at all with the existing w/s mount. Thought about trying to fabricate something, but didn't have the time or energy to waste figuring it out. Fixed it by spending a little over $3,300: Titan 3 tower, new bimini, and a Monster Tower mirror arm + their CIPA Extreme Adaptor. :crazy:

BTW - WOW that is an awesome price on that mirror!!! I thought I got a good deal when I paid $90 + shipping...

Just saw your post in another thread Chris, didn't realize you already have a tower on your boat. Did you consider a tower mirror arm to mount that extreme? That adapter I linked to above is $35, the tower arm they sell is on the order of $125 shipped. It isn't all blinged out, but the price is good, it's a solid mount, and I love the quick release feature it has.

If I were you, I'd buy the arm and adaptor from Monster, then you are in business with that mirror. It does exactly what you want for visibility, and IMHO is better/more efficient than two separate windshield mouned mirrors. Is there a discontinuity between each of the mirror panels? Sure, but certainly less than looking across from one mirror to another on the other side of the boat...