Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When did EFI come out?

wakeboarder3780

Hey I am looking at an 06 23 LSV with the monsoon engine and I'm not really sure when EFI came out for bu's. Could anyone help point me in the right direction? Expedience would be helpful and appreciated as it's a time sensitive thing ;).

Wasn't there a 454 that was EFI that you see in a few Echelons that are pre 96?, I've seen a few of the merc tournament ski w/ EFI in older boats too just not sure of the year.

I thought EFI was ~94, but ICBW.

Either way the OP's boat will have MPI no matter what.

In the 1997 Model year Chevrolet increased the horsepower of their truck engine lineup significantly. A 454 in 1996 had 230 HP and in 1997 it went to 290 HP in the truck. I bought a new 1997 Chevy 454 ExtraCab with the 290 HP rating and it had significantly more power than the(1994 or 1995) 230 HP shop truck (also 454) we had.

The 350 cubic incher went from about 210 ? in 1996 to 250 ? in 1997.

My experience was a significant real world horsepower change in the 1997 model year pickup.

Wakegirl may know what happened to the horswepower ratings in the marine engines in that era but I can say from firsthand knowlede that Chevy made big changes in their fuel injected engines in 1997.

In the 1997 Model year Chevrolet increased the horsepower of their truck engine lineup significantly. A 454 in 1996 had 230 HP and in 1997 it went to 290 HP in the truck. I bought a new 1997 Chevy 454 ExtraCab with the 290 HP rating and it had significantly more power than the(1994 or 1995) 230 HP shop truck (also 454) we had.

The 350 cubic incher went from about 210 ? in 1996 to 250 ? in 1997.

My experience was a significant real world horsepower change in the 1997 model year pickup.

Wakegirl may know what happened to the horswepower ratings in the marine engines in that era but I can say from firsthand knowlede that Chevy made big changes in their fuel injected engines in 1997.

That particular hp bump you mention was due to the inroduction of the Vortec cylnder heads which were introduced in 1996. The Vortec heads basically allowed the hp race to jump from the mid to upper 200's to over 300. The heads are worth about 40 hp. The small block now rivals the hp levels of those older 454 variants, but cetainly hard to deliver the torque that only cubic inches can deliver. Those president edition boats should be worth something simply on rarety these days.

Awesome thanks everyone for the fast replies! No more carburetor tuning to worry about :yahoo: And it also helps raise the value of the boat if you're looking at getting loans ;)

Edited by wakeboarder3780

That particular hp bump you mention was due to the inroduction of the Vortec cylnder heads which were introduced in 1996. The Vortec heads basically allowed the hp race to jump from the mid to upper 200's to over 300. The heads are worth about 40 hp. The small block now rivals the hp levels of those older 454 variants, but cetainly hard to deliver the torque that only cubic inches can deliver. Those president edition boats should be worth something simply on rarety these days.

I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine had a Vortec in his 93 Silverado...? Are you sure it was 96?

Scroll up a bit, it says the 5 litre engine in the C/K pickups was also Vortec. Follow the link to this and scroll down to 1988-1998 and it says 1996 was the first year of the Vortec V8s in trucks. Which, of course has nothing to do with boats. :whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_C/K_Trucks