Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need to shrink wrap for winter

Getting ready to winterize for first time. Have tried to review most threads on topic. I see reference to shrink wrap but no debate on pros and cons on issue. Would someone point me to previous discussion or explain the issue. We have a lift and covered slip but want to pull boat and keep in a barn for the winter. Some snow and ice in Oklahoma but nothing like up north.

Getting ready to winterize for first time. Have tried to review most threads on topic. I see reference to shrink wrap but no debate on pros and cons on issue. Would someone point me to previous discussion or explain the issue. We have a lift and covered slip but want to pull boat and keep in a barn for the winter. Some snow and ice in Oklahoma but nothing like up north.

If its gonna be in a barn I wouldn't bother with shrink wrap. If its going to be outside I am pro Shrink wrap. No cons in my book. Its the best way to protect your boat if you HAVE to leave it outside for the winter.

If you put it in a barn your mooring/trailering fitted cover will be dirty and have bird poo all over it by spring time.

Costco has the 2 Pack 12' x 20 heavier duty blue plastic tarps at the cheapest price for slightly higher quality. You may have to use both tarps to completely cover your trailering cover. Tie the tarps securely to your trailer and use a few black bungees to keep it taut.

Consider making a frame for under your trailering cover out of 1" schedule 40 PVC or 2 x 2 lumber to take the weight off of your windshield and also to keep puddles from forming should you have a roof leak or inblown snow. Overlap your blue tarps so that water will runoff to the side.

A hot tip for those that will store their boat outside but under a lean-to or carport is to get a rubberized truck tarp such as the long haul truckers use to cover lumber going down the highway. You could find a trucking company that has a flatbed fleet and probably pick up old used lumber tarps for a low price. They replace them as they wear holes in the edges wear the corners are. These are very heavy and will not blow around at all. You will definitely need to build a frame to support these rubberized tarps but they work great once in place.

Thanks for advice. Will head to hardware store for some tarps. I used the winterization word at family dinner tonight. Got very dirty looks around the table. Clearly, we are not done yet.