Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold weather gear

Badger

I need to bolster my cold weather skiing gear. Skied tonight with about 60 degree water and 55 degree air. It's just cold enough to make me think about buying a dry suit. All I have now is a shorty wetsuit. I just went back and searched here on drysuits and see lots of recommendations. Three questions:

1. What do you do for the head and feet? I saw a neoprene headband somewhere and think that might be good. Somebody told me about "foot condoms" but haven't found them yet.

2. Has anyone bought a drysuit in the last couple of weeks and found a good deal?\

3. I didn't see anyone mention the BI Seipel drysuit. Is that new?

My wife and some of my crew wear neoprene socks (O'Neill makes some very nice ones) and occ a neoprene hood. I just wear gloves, but do have closed toe boots both for wakeboarding and slalom skiing.

Sorry, haven't bought a new one in a few years.

Badger,

I don't own the Boost. My ski partner has two of them, and I used one frequenty before buying my Eagle last year. It is a very nice suit...you would be very happy with it. I believe that sometime last year, O'neill started using a neoprene neck seal on the Boost (the wrist and ankle seals remain latex). Hopefully the one at your local shop has this...as IMO it is a great upgrade in comfort and entry. If any doubt on size...error on the large side. A larger size also gives you the option to wear your vest underneath (a matter of preference)...so you don't have a wet vest dripping on your boat on a cold day after skiing.

I'm very happy w/ my Eagle (particularly with the front zip feature...which I consider an equal tradeoff w/ the Boost's more comfy neoprene neck seal).

Speaking strictly of Baggy Style suits.... If to do it again, my first choices would be either the Eagle or O'Neill Boost. Next choices (which would save a few $$) would be the one from Adrenalinewatersports or Wiley's "in-house" suit.

Good Luck w/ your choice. A drysuit is a nice piece of gear to have in your arsenal. If you get one, you may want to consider the "care kit" from adrenalinewatersports. For about $20 you get zipper wax, silicone spray and a large ziploc storage bag to protect your investment.

-Dave

ps. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a medium baggy suit for my daughter...PM me if you find any great deals.

Edited by davemac

I'm looking at getting this O'Neil Boost drysuit, as it is in stock at my local shop for the same price as Bart's, and I have a credit to spend. Does anyone have this?

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wetsuits/Drysuits/O'Neill_Boost_Wakeboard_Drysuit_/index.asp

I bought one this year. They run pretty big. I'm 5'8" 185 lbs and I wear a size small and wear a vest underneath as well as high tech thermal underwear.

Not to overtake ur thread and if I do, I apoligize...I know this sounds crazy but do any of you who live in the Southeast (FL) wear suits (wakeboarding purposes) for our colder periods here? Since Ive moved from the BUCKEYE state (sorry Badger) my blood has thinned and now Im wearing a long sleeve shirt out and its 78 degrees at 8pm. Used to ski up north through mid nov.

I ended up with the O'Neill Boost. I tried on a couple different varieties including the Hybrid Assault model. Unfortunately, I have dainty little wrists and the Boost in a size small was the only thing I could get to seal up properly.

I used it for the first time last night. It definitely was a strange feeling in the water after the air puffs up around the neck. Even after I "burped" it out, there was still a lot of air and extra floatation. I was worried about the added drag in the water, but in reality, I could get up easier because I was half way out already. The benefit was that my head and face stayed completely dry as I came out. So I made it through 2 sets without getting my hair wet, which is definetly a cold weather benefit.

The suit kept me completely dry and I was actually sweating by the time I took it off. The only downfall is that I need to stretch the neck a bit. It was way too tight to leave on between sets.

Overall I think I'll be very satisfied with the purchase. I've never skied in October before and now I'm hoping to be skiing into November.

You will find that over time you will increase your cool / cold weather gear. Personally, for skiing, I don't like the baggy style drysuit so I pick the neo style or even the hybrid version. A baggy is a must for barefooting so I have both styles. To pull your lift out of the water, you will want an old beater of a drysuit, so you might try scrounging for one. In the transition time, which I feel is now, you will want both a shorty and full wetsuit, one combo I like is the full top with a pair of neo shorts. Hope this helps. Also, you will want a skull cap for those really cold days and I use newspaper delivery bags for footies.

Note: the rubber seals can be cut down to loosen the seal to the skin, look for the ribs on the seal as a guide for trimming. The neck is usally the worst one.

I ended up with the O'Neill Boost. I tried on a couple different varieties including the Hybrid Assault model. Unfortunately, I have dainty little wrists and the Boost in a size small was the only thing I could get to seal up properly.

I used it for the first time last night. It definitely was a strange feeling in the water after the air puffs up around the neck. Even after I "burped" it out, there was still a lot of air and extra floatation. I was worried about the added drag in the water, but in reality, I could get up easier because I was half way out already. The benefit was that my head and face stayed completely dry as I came out. So I made it through 2 sets without getting my hair wet, which is definetly a cold weather benefit.

The suit kept me completely dry and I was actually sweating by the time I took it off. The only downfall is that I need to stretch the neck a bit. It was way too tight to leave on between sets.

Overall I think I'll be very satisfied with the purchase. I've never skied in October before and now I'm hoping to be skiing into November.

:thumbup: Oh ya fall skiing is the best and starting early and going late helps the Mich winter.

we started in March this year and hope to get into Nov. Night time temp are what puts end to season for me and deer hunting.

Note: the rubber seals can be cut down to loosen the seal to the skin, look for the ribs on the seal as a guide for trimming. The neck is usally the worst one.

I'm thinking you have a neoprene neck seal on that Boost. Thus, you don't want to trim it. It will stretch. A soccer ball is a good place to start. I hate having anything tight around my neck. If you don't get used to it, you might just have your buds unzip you when you get out of the water, and pull your head out of the seal. The suspenders in the Boost, will keep the suit up, while you chill.

I'm thinking you have a neoprene neck seal on that Boost. Thus, you don't want to trim it. It will stretch. A soccer ball is a good place to start. I hate having anything tight around my neck. If you don't get used to it, you might just have your buds unzip you when you get out of the water, and pull your head out of the seal. The suspenders in the Boost, will keep the suit up, while you chill.

Yes, you're correct about the neoprene, and I did just unzip in-between sets. I'm going to give it one more shot and then start the stretching routine if I still can't stand it.

Supposed to be mid 70s here this weekend! Might not need the drysuit but I think I'll wear it anyways!

my crew owns two of the oneill Boost drysuits - bought them both last year to extend our season - like the others the seal around the neck takes some getting used too -we wear a comp vest underneath to cut down on the extra bulk and about the only gripe comes from the smallest guy on the crew who puts it on after another rider - I think I purchased mine new for 350 or thereabouts at some boat show promo...

I need to bolster my cold weather skiing gear. Skied tonight with about 60 degree water and 55 degree air. It's just cold enough to make me think about buying a dry suit. All I have now is a shorty wetsuit. I just went back and searched here on drysuits and see lots of recommendations. Three questions:

1. What do you do for the head and feet? I saw a neoprene headband somewhere and think that might be good. Somebody told me about "foot condoms" but haven't found them yet.

2. Has anyone bought a drysuit in the last couple of weeks and found a good deal?\

3. I didn't see anyone mention the BI Seipel drysuit. Is that new?

Don't ge the headband, get a complete hood. I bought a headband and first time up it came off, or if you fall it will come off. I actually went back and found mine, but it is pretty worthless if it won't stay on. You could put it around your neck to get up (except for you it may not matter if your hair isn't even getting wet) and then put it up around your ears, but as I said when (if) you fall it will probably come off anyhow.

I believe that you will like the Boost. I've had mine now for 3 years and it still looks like it is brand new. We have a couple of the OS Systems drysuits as well, and while they are ok, they are not of the same quality build as the Boost. Mine also has the neoprene neck which I think is more comfortable than the latex neck. I haven't moved to the drysuit yet this season, although my wife has. She hasn't gone to her neoprene socks and hood yet, but I'm sure those will be making an appearance soon. She doesn't like to be cold.

I've got a 'cold weather bag' put together right now. In it I have a plug in 12v blanket, slippers, fleece sweats and sweatshirt (no hood) & beanie, my dry suit, towel, and neoprene boots (for surfing). With all of that I am completely comfortable for fall/winter boating!

I've got a 'cold weather bag' put together right now. In it I have a plug in 12v blanket, slippers, fleece sweats and sweatshirt (no hood) & beanie, my dry suit, towel, and neoprene boots (for surfing). With all of that I am completely comfortable for fall/winter boating!

I have all that too, except the dry suit and boots, but that is all for my living room when we don't have the fire on :whistle:

You guys are all :crazy:

Beautiful foliage at the lake today...but someone forgot to shut off the wind machine. Dad too much of a wuss to ski in the wind, cold, rough....but that doesn't mean his 11 yr old can't throw on his (XL) Eagle drysuit and brave the elements for an Autumn Rip!!

post-5162-094761900 1286755836_thumb.jpg

I had one of the best weekends of the year. Temps in the low 50's at 8AM, water probably still at 60 degrees, sun, and the water as flat as I've seen it all summer. But I sure do love that drysuit. By the afternoon, it was 77 degrees, and the lake had more boats out than there were on Labor Day.

post-2570-033202500 1286759000_thumb.jpg

I had one of the best weekends of the year. Temps in the low 50's at 8AM, water probably still at 60 degrees, sun, and the water as flat as I've seen it all summer. But I sure do love that drysuit. By the afternoon, it was 77 degrees, and the lake had more boats out than there were on Labor Day.

the good news is that many were on their last spin around the pond before pulling the boat off the water for the season. Yahoo.gif

I scuba dive, so I have a Henderson 7mm wetsuit, Scuba Pro boots (for surfing), gloves and and hood. Have been out on the water the day the ice goes out and am toasty warm. Wore the boots and 7mm wetsuit surfing in northern MN this last weekend, 55 water, 75 air. and was hot. I just wore ski gloves, not my neoprene dive gloves.

All I know is I love my wetsuit!! 3 Oct. days of glass with temps in the 70's and most of the boats and docks already out of the water!!