Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1991 malibu euro f 3 ocassionally stalls

I am a new member and this is my first posting. The boat runs perfect from start up to skiing speed for any length of time. The problem comes after the boat sits for half an hour and we idle out for a jump start for a skier. Everything is great for 200 or 300 feet and then the boat dies. I pulled off the flame arrester and noticed when the throttle was worked there no gas squirting out of the primary jets. After trying to start and sitting for 10 minutes I hand choked the carb and it started up and ran fine. This problem appears to only happen after the boat has been sitting for a length of time. The carb was rebuilt last year (mechanic said there nothing wrong). Fuel pump was replaced last year,fuel separater replaced every year, replaced anti syphoning valve in gas tank,checked gas tank vent, it was clear, wrapped gas lines from fuel pump to carb,installed adjustable fuel pump pressure gauge (new mercruiser pump appeared to be putting out to much pressure causing carb to flood). I have read a few of your replies and it appears to be heat problem, possibly causing a vapour lock. I am looking for a permanant solution. If any one has any ideas I would appreciate any info. Regards Bob Burnaby B.C. Canada ( PS The boat is old but only has 615 hours on it).

I was having the EXACT same problem on my 90 Euro F3...

It sounds as though you have taken care of all the things that most have suggested. When I kept digging, I determined that mine was overheating and needed greater airflow while sitting after running hard. I also found mine no longer had a blower, which should have been obvious, but I never noticed until I had this problem. So, to fix my issue, I installed a blower and new blower tubes to the transom of the boat, ensuring there was good airflow, then I double checked the air intake tubes at the bow to make sure they were free of obstruction. It seemed that once I had good airflow, my problem went away. The other thing I'll do is after running hard for a while, I'll lift the engine hatch a little to increase ventilation and enable the heat built up in the engine box to dissipate. Since doing these simple things, I no longer have the issue.

Not sure if any of this will help, but I had virtually the exact boat with the exact problem and the fix was fairly simple...

I was having the EXACT same problem on my 90 Euro F3...

It sounds as though you have taken care of all the things that most have suggested. When I kept digging, I determined that mine was overheating and needed greater airflow while sitting after running hard. I also found mine no longer had a blower, which should have been obvious, but I never noticed until I had this problem. So, to fix my issue, I installed a blower and new blower tubes to the transom of the boat, ensuring there was good airflow, then I double checked the air intake tubes at the bow to make sure they were free of obstruction. It seemed that once I had good airflow, my problem went away. The other thing I'll do is after running hard for a while, I'll lift the engine hatch a little to increase ventilation and enable the heat built up in the engine box to dissipate. Since doing these simple things, I no longer have the issue.

Not sure if any of this will help, but I had virtually the exact boat with the exact problem and the fix was fairly simple...

Thanks for the info. I will check out the under deck ventilation Regards Bob

Usually when you have vapor lock, the engine won't start since the fuel is boiling. Sounds like it starts off the fuel in the fuel bowl then runs out as none actually gets in to the bowl. Could be the floats are sticking closed when there is heat under the engine cover or maybe the needle and seat that is actuated by the float(s) is stuck.