Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New prop = new boat

Awest

I will not go into the details here because it is redundant to all the other information that exists on this site for choosing the right prop. But I feel obligated to add a little of my own limited experience. I have had this boat for many a year now and loved the way it handled in every situation. However, this summer I managed to tag a log sitting on the bottom of the lake and the prop developed a slight vibration. After being scolded by the members of this site for not having a spare I finally ordered a new prop from Nettles in TX. When it arrived I was quite concerned about the shear size of this thing. It was Huge compared to the prop I had and I was worried that at 6000 feet it would drag like an old Subaru trying to cross the Continental Divide. (My college days of trying to get to Vail from Boulder). However, I now feel that I have seriously underestimated the power of my boat for years. It feels like after driving my boat for 5 years I finally found first gear. The thing takes off like a rocket and now I know why people say to slowly push the throttle forward when pulling up a skier. The first time I tried it my son hit the throttle like he always does and he almost pulled the handle right out of my hands. The torque on this thing is amazing. For anyone considering a new prop for an older Malibu you can not possibly go wrong with an Acme 1235. Especially at altitude where we ski. Every once and a while I do one little thing that completely changes the way I look at my boat. This was one of those moments.

Cheers

AW

I will not go into the details here because it is redundant to all the other information that exists on this site for choosing the right prop. But I feel obligated to add a little of my own limited experience. I have had this boat for many a year now and loved the way it handled in every situation. However, this summer I managed to tag a log sitting on the bottom of the lake and the prop developed a slight vibration. After being scolded by the members of this site for not having a spare I finally ordered a new prop from Nettles in TX. When it arrived I was quite concerned about the shear size of this thing. It was Huge compared to the prop I had and I was worried that at 6000 feet it would drag like an old Subaru trying to cross the Continental Divide. (My college days of trying to get to Vail from Boulder). However, I now feel that I have seriously underestimated the power of my boat for years. It feels like after driving my boat for 5 years I finally found first gear. The thing takes off like a rocket and now I know why people say to slowly push the throttle forward when pulling up a skier. The first time I tried it my son hit the throttle like he always does and he almost pulled the handle right out of my hands. The torque on this thing is amazing. For anyone considering a new prop for an older Malibu you can not possibly go wrong with an Acme 1235. Especially at altitude where we ski. Every once and a while I do one little thing that completely changes the way I look at my boat. This was one of those moments.

Cheers

AW

That's why malibu calls the 1235 the "high alititude" prop. It's a beast throughout the rpm range.

Absolutely the best ways to improve a boat's performance. It's like getting a new boat, without the new boat payment! :)

Hey Skicrave.... you left off the VTX on your Malibu prop finder. Home / Prop Finder / Malibu Wakeboard Boat Propellers

Good looking web site so far... still looking. Looks like your site is broke...

Edited by cyoda44

Hey Skicrave.... you left off the VTX on your Malibu prop finder. Home / Prop Finder / Malibu Wakeboard Boat Propellers

Props can make or break the enjoyment of a boat for sure....

Humm, that website seems to only cater to one brand there are other options out there and imho better. Also not sure I'd lump in the SLXI '99-'04 and '05-'06 together. Sunsetter should also include Sunkicker and the wakesetter moniker from '02 for the DD..what about Echelon while not the ideal wakeboat many do use it for that. The engine model is also important to note as it makes a difference.

My only regret now is that I did not do this 5 years ago. It makes a huge difference with surfing as well. On another note after the coldest wettest summer in 30 years here we finally are getting warm weather. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of winterizing the boat ten days ago. Now I am going to pull it out and go ski one last time then do it all over again. The weather this summer has been really frustrating. It snowed a few times in August and now it supposed to be 85 through the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback! We're still in the process of updating our model application guides to include all of the models (and the rest of the major manufacturers). They're all in our database, but it's over 5000 unique applications, so it takes a little time to get the data populated for the base recommendations. We'll keep working on it though, so keep pointing out anything you see that doesn't look right.

I'm not sure what you mean by the site is broken, everything appears to be functioning correctly for us and for our customers.

Humm, that website seems to only cater to one brand there are other options out there and imho better. Also not sure I'd lump in the SLXI '99-'04 and '05-'06 together. Sunsetter should also include Sunkicker and the wakesetter moniker from '02 for the DD..what about Echelon while not the ideal wakeboat many do use it for that. The engine model is also important to note as it makes a difference.

Updating everything to include OJ is what our product guys are working on right now. We carry both brands, and they both make great props, although certain models are better for particular applications.

We're well aware of the differences between different models (as I'm sure you could guess, we have a little experience there :) ), but the goal of our application guides is to make it easy for someone that doesn't want to get into the minute details to get a prop that is going to perform well for them. Of course we're still happy to offer a custom recommendation based on the elevation, motor, particular usage characteristics, etc. but for a lot of people, the extra 3-4% increase in performance they get over a standard application prop simply isn't necessary. It's for that reason we group the SLXis together, as well as the Sunsetter direct drive models. Although there are variations between those boats in terms of hull design, weight and likely usage that could dictate a different prop choice, very more then 90% of boat owners it's going to be the same prop.

Also missing from this list are any of the Wakesetter XIT's either the 21' or 23'

I just check with our guys and they're in the process of updating those models as we speak, so they should be showing up shortly.