Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

All-Weather RLXI Cover

booyakasha_28

Hey Guys,

This coming Australian summer I want to leave my boat up at our new lakeside house, but we dont have a garage. Has anyone else made an all-weather cover to fit an RLXI?

I need something other than the standard cover so i feel comfortable leaving it in the rain/sun/wind etc.

Or anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

G'day, '28.

My 2005 RLXi is always garaged so I don't have a cover that I'd be happy leaving on it for extended periods although I do have a brand new cover that the Victorian Malibu dealer supplied.

What I would caution against is making the opportunity for wind to move the cover around on your boat and scratching it. When I acquired my RLXi last year, it had spent much (all?) of it's life under a carport in a very dusty environment. The gelcoat, bow rails and gunnel rail were all extensively scratched where the cover had obviously been getting shuffled around in the wind in combination with the large amounts of dust that had blown under the cover (the interior was very dirty).

Lots and lots of hard work restored all the stainless steel and gelcoat to original condition but it would be best to avoid the problem!

post-9690-128548917331_thumb.jpg

love the name booyakasha! :lol:

Where are you? who was your dealer?

Im guessing you have a sunbrella (canvas) material waterproof cover now?

What about a tempory shade sail/king canopy time setup? Or you could Macgyver up a tarp over the top of it..

king-canopy-10-x-20-ft-hercules-canopy_0_400x360.jpg

American friends, majority of our 'standard' covers are much better and tougher than the average storage cover you guys use, and are very similar to the evolution covers. towing with our covers is never a problem.

American friends, majority of our 'standard' covers are much better and tougher than the average storage cover you guys use, and are very similar to the evolution covers. towing with our covers is never a problem.

I dont understand...? If that is the case why is he asking us for advise?

I dont understand...? If that is the case why is he asking us for advise?

Dude, he's looking or more than just a standard towing cover. Suggestions so far have basically been for a towing cover. I believe that the OP is looking for more protection than that.

Edited by ed obermeier

I'd definitely look into the Evolution Cover. I know shipping may be an issue but atleast take a look and see what they can do. Now that I have this type of cover, I'd never go back. Truely an all purpose cover and very simple to use!Rockon.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, but i am really looking for the next level of protection above the standard cover.

I'm way down in Tasmania (The island off the bottom of Australia) and we get all four seasons in a day.

Has anyone got, or seen, a cover that goes all the way over the tower? I need something that is pulled tight enough not to puddle in the rain.

If I cant get that, i'm just thinking of some kind of temporary shade canopy setup.

keen to suggestions and pics coming...

Thanks for the suggestions, but i am really looking for the next level of protection above the standard cover.

I'm way down in Tasmania (The island off the bottom of Australia) and we get all four seasons in a day.

Has anyone got, or seen, a cover that goes all the way over the tower? I need something that is pulled tight enough not to puddle in the rain.

If I cant get that, i'm just thinking of some kind of temporary shade canopy setup.

keen to suggestions and pics coming...

I like the canopy idea. Way less work than a tarp as you just park the boat under it. It will protect the sides from the sun better than a typical tarp. Basically an instant garage.... The only problem with it is that it is a structure - so you wont want to put it up and take it down often... do you need portability in a cover...do you have room for a canopy garage?